Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bexley United recalled

Did anyone on here go to any Bexley United matches at Park View Road?

Their last match was in April 1976. I thought that the very last match was a fund raiser against Spurs. This was the only ever Bexley match I attended. Welling were at Butterfly lane at the time and moved in shortly after.

The Spurs match was not Policed and there were some very extreme scenes with lots of tooled up hoolies with bottles, staves going hell for leather. It would have been a very sad thing for the board to have to witness with all the financial problems they had and may have tipped them over, I don't know.

I mention it here as it was clear that most Bexley fans were Charlton.

Just a thought.

Comments

• Options
    And your point is?
  • Options
    Just remembering a bit of football from my youth and wondered if anyone else was old enough an geeky enough to recall the demise of this local club. Perhaps not then.
  • Options
    My old games/PT teacher used to play for them about that time. Graham Hughes. He was a Charlton fan too.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Used to live in Welling and quite often used to go to PVR with my mates, until I was old enough to be allowed to go to Charlton away matches.

Charlton leg end John Hewie was player manager at the time (around 1968), and some players I remember were ex-Addicks winger Eddie Werge, Knott and Vic Akers (he who managed the all conquering Arsenal Ladies in recent times) at fullback; their 'Georgie Best' lookalike winger Dickie Wheeler.

Still got some old Bexley United programmes from that era in the loft somewhere.
    And a Bexley United enamel badge.

• Options
    Vic is still Arsenal's kit man and both his son and grandson are very, very good footballers.
  • Options
    Like Oggy watched them when Charlton were away. They were never very successful but you could often see a decent game. 3 memories stick out - Watching

1 . Them being stuffed 5-1 in FA Cup prelim round by Wimbledon when they were "amateurs' - who had a beanpole CF called Reynolds who slaughtered them.

2 . A bulky ponderous forward called Kelly use his undoubted football brain to endlessly lay off good passes & flicks to team mates who just as endlessly failed to read them. Felt sorry for the bloke. He clearly had the brain to play at a much higher level but sadly not the physique.

3. A winger Andy Wingham? being regularly launched 10ft in the air by footballs less cultured full backs, whereon he'd pick himself up, venomously run 20 yds after his assailant to wreak his revenge but always, always chickened out to then spend the rest of the game barely crossing the halfway line. Mind you with some of the challenges I could hardly blame him.

Bexley always struggled financially but when they folded it was a huge boost for Welling who always had very good youth sides but were never really going to progress. Remember a very talented Ian Thompson playing for Welling before he moved to Darenth, then Weymouth, then Bournemouth where he scored a winner against Man U in the cup.

I am not sure anyone from Bexley ever really made the step up to League football they always seem to be going in the other direction.
  • Options
    My Dad first took me when they were still known as Bexleyheath & Welling, can't remember when they changed to Bexley United,sometime in the early to mid 60s I guess. Do remember at one point the pitch at PVR was 99% sand. Stopped going really once i started going to Charlton but still attended the occasional evening game. I do remember one game when there were loads of Charlton running riot, memories a bit hazy but think shop windows in PVR were put through, cars were attacked & pretty sure at least one was turned over, & some litter bins were set on fire but don't remember spuds being there.