Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oliver Street SE18

Sorry but here's a nostalgia attack! Does anyone remember Oliver Street - just off Maxey Road on the Plumstead/Woolwich border? You'll need to be over 50 and a bit more. I lived there until 1968 when our Victorian terraced house was compulsorily purchased and the whole area was sadly flattened.

There are very few references on the Internet to this long-lost corner and it would be great to hear any memories of this street and the surrounding area. There must be a few Lifers who grew up not far from there who remember the Matchless factory and Simpson's sweetshop etc.

Comments

• Was he the black fella who use to ride horses?
  • Let it go rodders im sure she is not riding horses at his stable
    Lol
    'Ere nolly old mate, are you Millwall? Been reading some odd things about you lately.
  • edited January 2012
    First thing you could do, Mr Street, is find out what the area looked like before it was developed for housing. Mr Google is quite well connected in this field, with access to old maps, etc...... and then ask him for dates and a map for when the street was built. There might even be old newspaper articles and photos archived.

Then he'll help you find the people who first lived in your house, and their neighbours;
    you can access all the 19th century Census online for free (you can also pay for it if you want someone else to do the work).

Once you visit a site, you'll often find that there are fresh links and references that can help you further.

Finally, I googled Oliver Street out of curiosity as I was born in Plumstead.
    There's one woman's website of her growing up around there in the 1950s and the schools she attended, and the people she knew with photos of the time. Maybe some of your family knew her and her friends?

Fascinating stuff. Good hunting.

• No chirpy im not i loathe them
  • Now chirpy im not denying i love them
    Knew it

• Yes chirpy i am i love them
    Knew it!
  • You bastards
  • Thread hijacked, lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Usual suspects oggy
  • Thanks for the suggestions Oggy Red. I knew this would be a quick sinker but half hoped it would unearth a few near neighbours from a long time ago.
  • There's an iPhone app called 'Old Maps' which might be worth a look. If you have an iPhone.
  • Remember Matchless Motorbike Factory.

Went there for a job interview in 1960's and they turned me down. Not surprised thy went bust soon afterwards. They missed their chance !!!!