Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Cinema's Thread

As a lot of discussion is going on in the "shops you no longer see" thread about old cinemas i thought i'd branch this one out.

I'd heard from few people (including Charlton Life's very own oggy red) that a cinema used to be in Welling high street and also one round the corner in Upper wickham lane. So i done some research and found some cracking photos them.

Granada Cinema, Welling

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcinemaphotos/sets/72157603941969231/with/2277065882/

Odeon Cinema, Welling

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcinemaphotos/sets/72157603196165387/with/2034119817/

All courtesy of dusashenka on Flickr, more pics on his page.

Comments

• I saw Monty Python's Life of Brian at Welling Granada in 1979.
  • anyone got any pictures of "THE ROXY" at the Standard? It was an ABC. who remembers "we are the boys and girls well known as, the minors of the ABC" on saturday mornings?
  • I used to know the lady at the ticket desk at Welling High St Cinema and got in for free....what a great place, shame that it went.
  • Sidcup 1989

• Guys be careful if you're posting pictures from Flickr as the person who took them could get CL in trouble as they are copyrighted.
  • Saw Star Wars at Welling, back in '77. Anyone got any pics of the old cinema in Bexleyheath? I think it was about where Asda is now.
  • Church-lane
    I remember the song and the little ABC badges. Also bunking in through the fire escape down the alley at the side.
  • Sponsored links:

• It took years for Bexleyheath to get a cinema and ten pin bowling back after ASDAs moved in.
  • edited January 2012
  • Anyone remember the old girl who used to patrol the ABC in Woolwich? I Remember when a film broke, she was cacking herself when most of the pre teen audience started to let their discontent be known.

Was banned from the Granada Welling when I was 13, we bought a box of maltesers and spent most of the film lobbing them at the old boy sat at the front of Screen two. Screen 3 used to show "naughty" films.

I saw my first film there, it was The Spy who loved me.
  • Not many may remember The Trafalger at Greenwich it stood on the opposite corner of Maze Hill to the Baths. I saw my first movie there (Bambi) when I was about 5-6 and can still remember it a bit. Great old cinema long gone but lovely memories.
  • I queued up at BH ABC to see Towering Inferno in about '74/5. Queued up to see a film!
  • Welling was left derelict for ages.

Remember hordes of boys wandering around it late at night smashing whatever was in their path.
  • Daveaddick
    The trafalgar was called `The fleapit' for obvious reasons.
  • Who remembers the small and little used Park Cinema in Hither Green Lane (opposite the entrance to Hither Green Hospital and close to Mountsfield Park)...........otherwise known as The Flea Pit?
  • "Saturday morning pictures" at the Regal, Bexleyheath, before it became the ABC/bowling. Saw "Psycho" there, queued for that too.
  • the was one in Bexleyheath at the top of Mayplace road
  • Sponsored links:

• I think that was the Palace. A bit of a fleapit.
  • Anyone remember Catford Cinema? Classic old place, sh*t hole in comparison to anything now!

http://www.cannon.org.uk/cannoncinemas/cinemagallery/Catford_files/image004.jpg
  • ISPP

Didn't realise mate, should we edit pictures out?
  • The ABC in the centre of tunbridge wells has been derelict for years.
  • I think with flickr photos you should just make sure you link back to the original picture rather than just copy and pasting.
  • edited January 2012
    ABC Minors Song
    I spent a great deal of my youth at the ABC Bexleyheath and the Granada Welling.
    Saturday Morning Pictures at the ABC in the late '60s early '70s- I would buy my copy of Whizzer & Chips in the newsagent next door and then queue up with the rest of the oiks and ragamuffins to sit through a programme comprised of Mighty Mouse cartoons, Flash Gordon serials (starring Larry "Buster" Crabbe) and fairly ropey British B-Movies.
    In my teens I'd go at least once a week and see whatever was on:
    -Double bills of all the James Bonds re-released in the mid '70s.
    -Jumping out of my skin the first time I saw Jaws.
    -Running home in slow motion with my mates after Chariots of Fire.
    -Sitting through all 20+ minutes of the closing titles of Superman -The Movie.
    -My first "X" Films - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest closely followed by Taxi Driver
    -One Christmas, shopping with my dad on the Broadway we were both amused by the Sally Army band outside the cinema playing "Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel" outside the ABC which was, of course, showing Emmanuelle II.

I vividly remember the day the ABC (or the Cannon as it then was) finally closed in 1987. I made a point of going to the last performance in the evening - Crocodile Dundee. As I left, the staff, some of whom had been there since I was a kid were locking up and turning off the lights for the final time. I said a brief goodnight to them and walked off into the night turning my back on a huge part of my youth.
    The end of an era
  • Vaguely remember seeing a Carry On double-bill at the Astor in Bromley.
  • Supposedly there also was a cinema where the Co-op stands in Blackfen (the old Safeways).
  • BDLBDL
    edited January 2012