Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

One to ponder

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
A year ago today I remember being in the Guinea Grill restaurant in Mayfair waiting for a text. It was the draw for the 1/4 finals and we got Boro at home. We should have won that match.
I just wonder what would have happened if we had have won it and the semi. Would Curbs then have stayed? I reckon so. A final against Liverpool would have guaranteed European football whatever the result.
I reckon he would have signed a year extension to the year he had left.
How different would this season have been?
Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    It would still have been a struggle.

Darren Bent papered over a lot of cracks last season
  • Options
    I think it would have been a struggle too.
  • Options
    In a perverse way, it wouldn't have been so exciting!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stanmoreaddick[/cite]In a perverse way, it wouldn't have been so exciting!

Spot on!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]A year ago today I remember being in the Guinea Grill restaurant in Mayfair waiting for a text. It was the draw for the 1/4 finals and we got Boro at home. We should have won that match.
    I just wonder what would have happened if we had have won it and the semi. Would Curbs then have stayed? I reckon so. A final against Liverpool would have guaranteed European football whatever the result.
    I reckon he would have signed a year extension to the year he had left.
    How different would this season have been?
    Any thoughts?

We have no way of knowing what Curbs would have done re transfers had he stayed. Would Minty have advanced all the funds he did to Dowie for instance? Could Curbs as a near miss England manager have attracted better players than Dowie did?

Those questions are impossible to answer really. My gut feeling is that this season would have been difficult in any event but that Curbs would have ground out a few more results.

We would probably have been where Man City are now under Curbs at a guess.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stanmoreaddick[/cite]In a perverse way, it wouldn't have been so exciting!

Spot on!

i have to agree in a sick kinda way least there's been some talking point bout this season, as much as its pissed me off no end its only experiencing some of the lows and disappointment of this season that i've really appreciated how cushty we've had it last few years.

things could b worse we could b playin back at selhurt
  • Options
    I think that could have been the worst of all worlds if he had ended up staying just because we somehow got to a Cup final. It was time to part for both sides and there's just no getting away from that really. If he had stayed and taken us into relegation trouble then it would have been even worse because he would have had to resign (Murray would never have sacked him) and it would have left a sour taste all round.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I think he was going to go whatever happened. If we'd got to the final and maybe won, he would then have some silverware to show for his time. If you watched some of his post match stuff from well before the 'Boro game he was clearly jaded and had lost that spark. Frankly I think he had decided at the end of the previous season that he would not seek a new contract.

Hypothetically had he stayed we would have struggled with the squad that finished the season. The only difference would be the tried and tested pre-season and his new signings. Usually we tended to come out of the blocks fast, whereas this just didn't happen this year. My hunch would be a few more points than we have, maybe 28 or 30.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think you're probably bang on there bing!