Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reg Varney vs. The Mail On Sunday - Round One **ding ding**

WSSWSS
edited February 2007 in General Charlton
anyone got a link to The Mail article??

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=30422&newstype=n

Comments

• Options
    Not seen the artilce but sounds like another version of "you have to advertise, you can't sell all your tickets yar, booo sucks" that we've been getting for years on NA etc, etc. Yeah, like a good business we market ourselves.
  • Options
    It was in a column by Daniel King:

MORE ROOM AT THE VALLEY? NO, THANKS

FOR a club so keen to expand their ground, it seems Charlton have been struggling to fill The Valley for the biggest game of their potentially disastrous season.

Saturday's Premiership relegation derby with West Ham, the club that sacked current Charlton boss Alan Pardew and replaced him with former Charlton favourite Alan Curbishley (below), should have been a must-see match for any self-respecting Addick.

But last Monday the club sent out a letter, signed by chief executive Peter Varney, to drum up interest in the game. Varney warned that there were 'less than 3,000 home seats left', an odd statement since Charlton only ever have around 3,000 tickets on general sale for a Premiership match at the 27,111-capacity stadium, which has been full this season only for the visits of Liverpool and Chelsea.

So, did Charlton fans take the bait? Well, fewer than 1,000 tickets remain to be sold but the fact that Charlton apparently felt the need to push sales speaks volumes. And relegation, the club's likely outcome whatever the result on Saturday, would be the final nail in the coffin for Charlton's plans for a 40,000-seater Valley.
  • Options
    Just had a look ot the MoS site and they have a latest news flash stating `Dowie unveiled at Charlton'. As usual you can always rely on the newspapers for accurate information!

I think everyone should send them to Coventry!
  • Options
    It all just seems a bit spiteful and childish to me. Probably a West HAm fan trying to stoke something up cos he can't get anything out of the two managers!
  • Options
    They're just shit-stirring.

Chelsea had to adverise on Virgin radio to try to shift tickets for a match last month...
  • Options
    Slightly off topic:

I'm reading a book called matchday that follows the routines of all the participants on a matchday e.g Player, fan, referee, manager, PA Announcer, Chairman, Chief Executive etc, etc.

Anyway the Chief Exec featured is Nigel Doncaster of Norwich City and in talking about his relationship with the fans he mentions that a few years ago the Charlton Chief Executive got thrown over a hedge by fans.

I never heard that one. Can anyone elaborate? Was it Reg?
  • Options
    who Reg the Hedge ???

Can't believe that story for a minute...
  • Options
    Still, 40k does take the piss abit. Wasn't the plan to give away fans 10k or something stupid?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Slightly off topic:

I'm reading a book called matchday that follows the routines of all the participants on a matchday e.g Player, fan, referee, manager, PA Announcer, Chairman, Chief Executive etc, etc.

Anyway the Chief Exec featured is Nigel Doncaster of Norwich City and in talking about his relationship with the fans he mentions that a few years ago the Charlton Chief Executive got thrown over a hedge by fans.

I never heard that one. Can anyone elaborate? Was it Reg?

More likely to be Rodney Stone rather than Reg? I can remember a night match against Gillingham in the mid-70's when Rodders came onto the South Terrace and waded in to break up a fight.