Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help / Testers Required / Social and Business

Hi.

I am in need of your help to test my new website before it goes
public. It is generally a social site catering for both individuals
and business....

It's very user friendly [IMO] and is great for showing off anything
such as your holiday pics, or your family pet/s or CAFC pics/vids or
if you are selling your house / car or whatever.....or just want to
make some friends, promote your business or look for staff/jobs....
up to your imagination........just keep it clean please...

You can :-

Upload your photo / avatar / biz logo
Personal Profile
Business Profile
Upload pictures [ family pics, biz pics etc etc ]
Embed Videos
Blog
Forums
Events
etc.

I really need your input and tell me if you think there is too much
or too little, or anything else which you think could be improved.

The site will be officially open in February [Date to be decided] but
anything you enter/upload or embed will be kept in for you to delete
if necessary.

The site : http://my.xoomsite.com
Email : admin@my.xoomsite.com

If you have any close family and friends to test this as well they
would be very welcome.

Any questions or comments pls pm or email me...

Thanks
Rob
TotalAddicktion

Comments

• Options
    With the exception of the forum, how is this a different offering from Facebook?

This isn't meant as a dig btw!
  • Options
    It looks nice enough - but not different enough from other offerings. What plans do you have to get people interested? The thing that launched Facebook was not the design - that can come later - it was the access to millions of US students.
  • Options
    Needs a new logo, but looks good
  • Options
    Hi.

Thanks for your comments. Anything constructive is very welcome.

Obviously this site is in it's infancy and it is not meant to be another Facebook because that site
    [which I am not a member or ever have been] is too heavily influenced by non-indiginous scripts
    and IM [Internet Marketing] Software.

As an example click these below :-

FB One
    FB Two
    FB Three

These are just the tip of a very big iceberg and that goes for Twitter as well.

Also, I have seen various comments in IM forums stating that Facebook is not very user friendly
    and has quite alot of confusing choices for the user.

Like Twitter, the ''followers / fans'' you get are not really following you. There are alot of scripts which
    'pounce' on keywords and have people automatically follow you in the hope that you will follow
    them back..........err...look, I don't want to get into any arguement or back/forth on this vs Facebook
    or Twitter etc so will leave it there.

As far as interest is concerned I came here first in the hope of trying to help anyone primarily who has
    a business or works from home or has family/friends who need to get another advertising choice and
    have a bit of fun in the process and make new friends etc. Let you/them get in first and have
    a presence before the net is expanded.

I am hoping that some people will also spread this by 'word of mouth' which in-turn will make the
    site spread virally.

At first I am only concentrating on the London/Meridian region cos that is where most of my contacts
    are and then I'll start to advertise elsewhere.

Down the line, and if this grows, there are a number of plug-ins I can include to make the site more
    interesting but for now want to keep it fairly simple.

Just sign-up / log-in and see for yourself......

BTW I'm thinking abt changing the logo, so thanks for that comment...........

Rob
    TotalAddicktion

• Options
    With the exception of the forum, how is this a different offering from Facebook?
    It looks nice enough - but not different enough from other offerings. What plans do you have to get people interested? The thing that launched Facebook was not the design - that can come later - it was the access to millions of US students.

Do you think this could be too much of an 'open' for anything site? perhaps needs to be a niche, say for dogs or cats or cars or even another CAFC pics and vids site..............??? Maybe concentrate on one thing rather than all........err, you know?

All comments welcome
    Thx
    R
  • Options
    Sorry but word of mouth is not really an advertising plan. Unless you are Charlie Sheen and everyone wants the words from your mouth.
    You suggest you want to make it a business tool but I see nothing there for a business person. To combine 'fun' with 'work' rarely makes for a good small business tool - if you look at the users here, they will often work for large corporates as that's how they get to waste tiome on the internet.
    Look at Linked In - they have very much gone down the business route to make themselves different to facebook.
    You then talk about the 'trap' of facebook but I can't really see how yours will 'free the user'?
    It rather feels to me like you designed a site and are now trying to find a use for it. I think you need to look the other way around. What do people on the internet want that they are not currently getting? Then look at how to fill that need.
  • Options
    Sorry but word of mouth is not really an advertising plan. Unless you are Charlie Sheen and everyone wants the words from your mouth.
    You suggest you want to make it a business tool but I see nothing there for a business person. To combine 'fun' with 'work' rarely makes for a good small business tool - if you look at the users here, they will often work for large corporates as that's how they get to waste tiome on the internet.
    Look at Linked In - they have very much gone down the business route to make themselves different to facebook.
    You then talk about the 'trap' of facebook but I can't really see how yours will 'free the user'?
    It rather feels to me like you designed a site and are now trying to find a use for it. I think you need to look the other way around. What do people on the internet want that they are not currently getting? Then look at how to fill that need.
    Thanks for your comments..........appreciated.
  • Options
    Hiya,

just had a look. First observation is that you need to tell us what the site is on that first page. You look on the front page of twitter and FB for example they both have a simple quick strapline that says exactly what the site does. your front page is not clear enough.

• Options
    Hi

Sorry to be negative but it looks like you have a product looking for a market, I would put the site to one side at the moment and ask yourself :-

Who are you aiming at? - facebook started off as a young persons place and its wide appeal now is due to evolution of the concept.

What is it you are offering? If it is just another social networking site, why should I be on it in addition or instead of facebook? What is your difference? Is it relevant to potential users? Why will you succeed where Google plus, what are your success measures.

>>Obviously this site is in it's infancy and it is not meant to be another Facebook because that site [which I am not a member or ever have been] is too heavily influenced by non-indiginous scripts and IM [Internet Marketing] Software.<<

Firstly I had no idea what you were talking about when you said this - are you sure you are not developing a solution to a problem that only a small number of people would identify with. Secondly, when I went to the link, I did not recognise the content that was displayed therefore not a problem.

Finally, word of mouth can succeed, but it needs to be a big word and a loud mouth with something to say.

Wishing you every success and sorry to be negative.