Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Seinfeld

edited January 2012 in Not Sports Related
To all those who missed it the first time, whether you weren't aware of it or were too young, here's some good news: Sky Atlantic is showing the whole lot. Starting tonight at 8pm with the pilot episode followed by the 1st one of the first season.
I am not a massive fan of American comedy but this is without doubt one of the best sitcoms of all time. "The show about nothing" they used to call it. It regularly tops polls both here and in the US as up there with the best.
To be honest it does start a little slow and it takes a few series for the characters to fully develop but that is quite normal. Give it a go and stick with it and your Monday nights will be brightened for a few years to come.

Comments

• Options
    the contest..

also, george (based on larry david) how he gets out of his wedding is some of the best writing of all time, he tries for months to get out of the wedding, he pays no interest in the wedding at all, the only job he is given is to buy the envelopes to send the invites out in.. his bride to be then dies due to the posion from licking all the envelopes he brought which were the cheapest ones he could find..
  • Options
    have to agree it was brilliant
  • Options
    nice non offensive easy to watch comedy... i like the cameos/episodes with george costanza's parents in them and his old man's short temper, cracks me up!
  • Options
    I'm going to get my girlfriend into it. She still thinks Friends is the king of all sitcoms. More fool her!

If you're interested, I wrote a couple of galleries for Sky Atlantic...

http://skyatlantic.sky.com/seinfeld/10-reasons-to-watch-seinfeld

http://skyatlantic.sky.com/seinfeld/the-whos-who-of-seinfeld
  • Options
    ben stillers dad plays george's dad
  • Options
    George's Father is played by Jerry Stiller, Ben's Dad. For most of the episodes anyway. Another actor played him in the earlier episodes but was replaced.
    There are so many great characters in the show.

"The Wiz" a favourite episode.
  • Options
    In the sitcom Mad About You the main male character has been married for ages but still has his old bachelor pad which he rents out. In one episode his missus persuades him to sell the apartment so he goes round to give notice and it is Kramer who rents the place.
  • Options
    some of my favourites include the "Soup Nazi" - a shop owner selling soup etc who tells who or who can't buy his soup.........woa betide you if you don't do as you are told. Also, "the girl who talks very quietly", so that Seinfeld has no idea what she is saying and so just agrees with her all the time. The one with the old fur coat, etc etc.

My favourite all time American comedy. Nearly on par with our Blackadders, Fawty Towers etc.........
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    brilliant series
  • Options
    Got the box sets for every single episode but will still watch this. Classic comedy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But it had a slow start, I would be tempted to tread carefully around the early episodes...

But when it gets into its stride from the third series it's magnificent.
  • Options
    Love Seinfeld. Some of the best episodes for me involve George trying to do the absolute least work possible whilst being employed by the New York yankees.
  • Options
    Larry's girlfriends! The one with the big hands, the one who looked different in the light or dark......
  • Options
    George Costanza is quite possible the finest comedy character ever created imo. Love Seinfield and still surprised at the amount of people who have never seen or heard of it.
  • Options
    "Big Stein wants a Calzone..!"
  • Options
    "BrentfordAddick6:28PM

But it had a slow start, I would be tempted to tread carefully around the early episodes...

But when it gets into its stride from the third series it's magnificent
    ."

Warning given in the OP.
  • Options
    cheers for the heads up BrentfordAddick!
  • Options
    Up there as one of my top three TV shows ever.

So many memories - I could write about 10000 words highlighting them and not even get to half the best bits. Seriously - the show reaches it's peak in series 4,5 & 6 - when Larry David left in season 8 & 9 it developed into a different show altogether - though still extremely funny it didn't have the impact of the 'middle' seasons for me, and just became a series of in-jokes (that most people wouldn't necessarily 'get' or find funny if they hadn't watched the show since the beginning).

Brilliant televison
  • Options
    "bloodnut12:16AM

cheers for the heads up BrentfordAddick!"

That's Friends humour. People who like Friends just don't get Seinfeld.
  • Options
    Hello... numan..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hello......Jerry.
  • Options
    George Costanza... The hand model episode! Genius!!
  • Options
    Man hands!

Loved the "Soup Nazi" episode also and Kramer adopting a highway.
  • Options
    top of the muffin to you!
  • Options
    Best episode is when Kramer is mistaken for someone with special needs after having been to the dentist, the final scene at the fund raising dinner at the end is pure comedy gold
  • Options
    Man hands. The hands... of a man
  • Options
    Top of the muffin TO YOU
  • Options
    NO SOUP FOR YOU! Come back... ONE YEAR!
  • Options
    apparently larry david based the whole george character on himself you can see hints of george eqsue situations in curb, theres an episode of curb when hes thinking of doing a reunion and everyone keeps slagging the george character saying what an bumbling idiot he was, classic.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Chirpy Red is my NEWMAN on here!

(i can do seinfield too)