Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Seasons Team

Greetings everyone, I am a first time poster so go easy on me.

A lot of people are talking about next year if and when we do go up how many of the current crop would survive the championship. My feelings on this are we have to be very careful not to do a similar thing to the Dowie era where we go up and waste loads of money on crap that does not want to play for the club and just want the higher wage. The team we have at the moment, for me, seem to love the club and love playing with each other and we have that winning formula so why change it. By all means bring in another one or two players or good quality but ultimately we have a large squad of players to pick from with good quality subs such as Wagstaff and Hayes.
Our defence, as stated by opposition fans too is extremely well organised and have an understanding together and too be fair by and large the quality of strikers from league one to the championship is no where near as steep as from the championship to the premiership.
If you go back to the Curbishley years when we got promoted we never used to spend big just one or two additions but keep the core of the team the same as its obviously working. Just look at Southampton as a prime example.
The bottom line is as a message to the club please don't spoil a great set of players playing together as one team by all means strengthen a little but I feel this team has the capability to be a strong outfit in the championship lets not spend money for the sake of spending it.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome Jacko!
    I agree with you. We have a great first team and very capable players who can come in. CP has shown he has an eye for a player who can add to the quality of the squad so if he feels he needs some additions I'll go with his judgement.
  • Options
    I think we need a new keeper Hamer flaps at a lot of crosses and I don't feel as assured with him as I did with Robbie Elliot (that's probably why he is playing prem football)
    Goalie is the most important position and just feel we need a stronger one than Hamer to do well in the Championship.
  • Options
    A month or two ago my Southampton neighbour told me that essentially Southamptons second division team this year is the same as last years in the third division.
  • Options
    Elliot hasn't played a minute of prem football with newcastle. I think Hamer is decent championship standard, although he didn't have a great game on sat.
  • Options
    I think Hamer is great in goal. His shot stopping is quality. He's young, he has time to work on the flapping. He's very young for a keeper. He will come good.
  • Options
    Bring Darren Randolph back,
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Motherwell would ask for a massive fee.
  • Options
    Let's get promoted first yeah?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Agreed Dazzler
  • Options
    Edited - That's what I meant ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will only need three or four signings to compliment what we have. By handing out three year deals to a number of our summer signings CP was mindful of needing to sign players who were good enough to play in the Championship and in the main he has. I'd like to see another centre midfielder as Russel and Hughes may not be up to it, Quinn or Gleeson will do. Cover at RB, further cover at CH and a striker. Hey presto, a team to challenge at least a play off place.
  • Options
    Great idea LA but lets get there first. We are Charlton and as we have found out before, anything can happen.
  • Options
    I believe that the majority, if not all, of the signings have been made with next season in mind. Except Kermit they are all about 23 and all have great potential in my view. If we do not lose any players to the Prem then I expect the squad to stay the same - and I will not be dissapointed if this is the case. Hamer will continue to improve with more experience - he thankfully is not getting too much practice at the moment! More cover at right back and goal keeper (Sullivan may not be good enough)? Probably. Another forward IF they are much better than what we have. A new link for a short list is probably required.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Maybe we will have youngsters coming through to compete for some positions. Damian will know their mettle..
  • Options
    New keeper

Same back four

Hollands and Jackson, new central midfielder and right midfielder

BWP, Yann

Would be quite happy with that
  • Options
    Southendaddict - have you anyone in mind?
  • Options
    Not a clue mate, depends on funds I suppose, lets get up first
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    So no room for Green then Sarfend?
  • Options
    Not for me personally at that level
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mmmmmmmm!!
  • Options
    Stephens will be fine at Championship level.

Think Taylor, and the front two might struggle, Green's lack of pace could be an issue, otherwise the rest are fine
  • Options
    I assume that is disagreement, I hope you are right.
  • Options
    I agree we need to get up first, I suppose it will depend on how much money we have and pickings from who comes down and needs to sell. I think Stevens is good enough in central mf though. Agree the rest.
  • Options
    Agree with Rothko on Stephens, injury record a concern though
  • Options
    Lets re-sign Parker!
  • Options
    one issue with the ankle, that seems to have been dealt with (fingers crossed). Can see him, Wiggins and maybe Solly going on to the top level with or without us
  • Options
    Ronaldo Messi
    Hazard Pastore Ganso Silva
    Clichy Hummels Thatgermanyoungster Alves
    Hamer
  • Options
    Let's take one game at a time
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Well, we could probably get Benno back, Tamer Tuna should be available, and Grant Basey would probably give us another chance. Euell on subs bench of course, for the experience, and Alan Smith should be a surprise package to bring on after getting ewxperience in his loan spell. Popo will be ready for the bench at least by then, and Doherty can be backup for the back row.

Because now you've f******d it up by putting a jinx on it, this is probably what we'll be looking at!