Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Privacy re Google, Facebook etc

edited January 2012 in Not Sports Related
I'm an old fart so a lot of this passes over my head but should we be be concerned?

Comments

• Options
    Yes. I was at an IT "trade show" and one of the speakers asked the assembled audience how much they paid for Google, specifically Google mail. The answer is, of course, nothing. Google allow you to do this because they can sell on the information you give away as part of the deal you probably didn't even know you'd agreed to. Google mail is not private.
  • Options
    In light of what we have all seen regarding privicy during the Leveson inquiry I think we should all realise that nothing is private.
  • Options
    It's alright Len, I've already sold all your details on to Saga and Yes2Europe :-)
  • Options
    It's pretty obvious that all your mail on Gmail is being screened because adverts come up based on the topics you have been discussing. All for your own benefit of course!!
  • Options
    There seems to be a lot of controversy over the new Timeline that has just been introduced to Facebook .
    It maps your entire life so everyone can see.
  • Options
    There seems to be a lot of controversy over the new Timeline that has just been introduced to Facebook .
    It maps your entire life so everyone can see.
    It was all there before, just wasn't as quick to do.

You can still make your profile less or more private can't you?
  • Options
    The only thing Facebook was ever good for was looking at birds holiday pictures.
  • Options
    Facebook's always been pretty bad for this - the idea being that you can have a 'logged in experience' on any participating website, with the upshot being you hand over all your browsing data to FB.

Big question really is, what's the drawback (beyond targeted ads, which are remarkably ineffective IMO)? I don't know the answer, but I am sure there's a few... For instance, an old manager of mine was convinced Tesco were selling Clubcard information to the Inland Revenue. Sounds ridiculous to me, but what a way to target benefit fraudsters!

• Options
    It's pretty obvious that all your mail on Gmail is being screened because adverts come up based on the topics you have been discussing. All for your own benefit of course!!
    Never noticed this until I started applying for work in China, the following week google kept throwing 'pro china' adverts at me, quite worrying really.