Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Dockers?

Just reading the rival thread and about West Ham and Millwall drawing large support from Surrey Docks etc. Was Woolwich Shipyard a working dock back in the day in the same way and if so did we draw support from there anyone know as you never really associate us as a dockers club despite being bang on the river?

Comments

• Options
    Just read they shut in 1869 so that answers that one. ;-)

Sink!
  • Options
    It's all a bit 1869
  • Options
    Woolwich Dockyard was an English naval dockyard founded by King Henry VIII to build his flagship the Great Harry, the largest ship of its day. It ultimately had two large dry docks, a substantial basin (now used by local anglers), and a large metal-working factory used to produce anchors and other iron items used in shipbuilding. As ships grew bigger and the Thames began to silt up, the dockyard eventually closed in 1869. These days all that remains are a couple of closed off docks and the railway station called Woolwich Dockyard

It had nothing to with docks that load and unload cargo ships
  • Options
    Dockers, probably not, but there were very many river workers including lightermen who supported Charlton. My Dad started his working life as an apprentice barge builder (still some working wooden barges in those days!) and his brother also worked in a boat-building yard. This was on the Greenwich peninsula at yards such as Morden Wharf, Lovell's Wharf and Piper's Wharf. Until fairly recently (still?) Piper's which had been working on stuff like fitting out cable-laying ships was still a boatyard but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a block of flats now.
  • Options
    My great grandad lived in Charlton most of his life. As a docker he was a dyed in the wool Millwall fan. I can remember sitting on his shoulders at the old den watching all the men smelling of beer and fags, swearing and shouting and pissing where they stood .. and that was just the footballers !!!
  • Options
    We're far too middle class for all that.
  • Options
    Well my dad (and his dad) were both dockers..............

Does that mean I now have to support millwall? :-(
  • Options
    cafcfan 3:17PM Quote
    Dockers, probably not, but there were very many river workers including lightermen who supported Charlton. My Dad started his working life as an apprentice barge builder (still some working wooden barges in those days!) and his brother also worked in a boat-building yard. This was on the Greenwich peninsula at yards such as Morden Wharf, Lovell's Wharf and Piper's Wharf. Until fairly recently (still?) Piper's which had been working on stuff like fitting out cable-laying ships was still a boatyard but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a block of flats now.
    My first job was by the Anchor and Hope as an apprentice Barge Builder. Started in 1976. Can't recall too many Charlton fans tbh.
  • Options
    My first job was by the Anchor and Hope as an apprentice Barge Builder. Started in 1976. Can't recall too many Charlton fans tbh.
    There were a few barge builders near to the new enterance of the Woolwich Ferry, although it was pretty run down I recall in mid 70s. I worked at Morgan Grampian at the time, and came back to do freelance shifts over the years, and less and less of the waterfront remained, each time I returned.
    There was a good view from MG across the river.
  • Options
    Corys? it's still there and still a bargeworks.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for the update on Cory Baldy. Very long time since I have been down there. In fact I went there one night to watch Jean Michel Jarre light show/concert in 1988.
  • Options
    factories along the river was more our scene i believe
  • Options
    I seem to remember that in the old 'gabled' West stand there were a number of seats reserved for the use Waterman and had badges fixed to the backs of the srats.
  • Options
    My great grandad on my mums side was a barge man, had his own company, 'Palmer's Barges'. My grandad used to say that 'dockers' would go to the pub sat lunchtime and on to The Valley. Those were the days when 40,000+ was an average gate.
  • Options
    My father was a Lighterman, He was based on the other side of the Thames, He was Charlton through & through, He knew about 5 other Charlton fans, Who worked as Dockers. Quite a few of his work mates were Arsenal fans, So it was not solid West Ham, Millwall, As some people think. He worked on the Thames, From about 1951 to 1971.
  • Options
    I am sure there were some who watched Charlton. When I meet up with people from the area who were around in the 1930's and 40's I am struck by how many went to watch games at the Valley.

I would guess that because of its size, you could always guarantee to get in and watch a game and therefore, for the big games, the gates were swelled by people that just wanted to watch football stars play.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link MOG - an interesting read.
  • Options
    My great grandad on my mums side was a barge man, had his own company, 'Palmer's Barges'. My grandad used to say that 'dockers' would go to the pub sat lunchtime and on to The Valley. Those were the days when 40,000+ was an average gate.
    If my memory serves, Millwall used to kick off at 3.15pm to allow the dockers enough time to get to the ground after finishing work. But having just read something else to confirm it, it seems it may have more to do with pub closing times being 3pm! Moved to 3pm in the mid to late 60's.