Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smith scores a Hat-trick against the Gillies

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
Be interesting to see tonight.

Comments

• Options
    This is what the Accies had to say about him...

"... the brilliant Michael Smith who was still galloping around on 90+4 minutes. Smith not only bagged a hat trick and an assist but also blocked a shot which looked certain to go in. His movement, technical ability and awareness impresses me and he seems to be a calm figure which is why goals will come easily for him. He could go far."
  • Options
    Right place at the right time for those goals, nicely done.

Some of the worst throw outs by goalkeepers I've ever seen! Comical.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16781398.stm

Second goal looked alright. Other two tap ins but really pleased for him. Lets hope he can keep improving and challenge for a champs spot in a couple of seasons
  • Options
    Gary Lineker made a very good career out of tap-ins.................................
  • Options
    True true, not knocking the guy at all. Delighted that he got a hat-trick. Just adding some perspective :)
  • Options
    Plenty mention his tireless workrate but surely this one's going too far:
    "young Smiths display, I have watched numerous young players in the past, Carroll, sturidge, wellbeck, to name a few and he shown me enough today, to mention him in the same breath at his age."
  • Options
    Stanley Ultras banner. lol.
  • Options
    Plenty mention his tireless workrate but surely this one's going too far:
    "young Smiths display, I have watched numerous young players in the past, Carroll, sturidge, wellbeck, to name a few and he shown me enough today, to mention him in the same breath at his age."
    Agree that it's probably ott, but won't hear me complaining if he turns out to be a top player and that'll be another feather in the cap of CP (and of course the scouting network) in terms of spotting raw talent from non-league.
  • Options
    Absolutely. The scouting since CP and Slater etc arrived has been first class.
  • Options
    Someone on here damned him as "not a finisher" because he missed a chance just after coming on, late against 'Alifax.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clearly this lad has talent, and he hasn't been with us for very long, but I get the feeling that we are going to see the development of a lot of young players with our current set up.

We don't know how good our current squad is as we seem to be beating all in our path at the moment, but the other thing is that we don't know how much better the players can get with the development that we are seeing under Powell et. al.

However, I'm taking nothing away from Smith (and this is his thread, after all) to score a hat-trick in league football is no mean feat, and at 20 it does bode well for the future. Most interestingly he didn't score any of them with his head, so he is obviously more than a big target man.
  • Options
    Not to mention he set up the other goal too.
  • Options
    Absolutely. The scouting since CP and Slater etc arrived has been first class.
    Don't forget the man, Paul Hart, who seem to be doing wonders on the Youth side...
  • Options
    some very bad goalkeeping there but lets give the lad credit for a hatrick

• Options
    We don't know how good our current squad is as we seem to be beating all in our path at the moment, but the other thing is that we don't know how much better the players can get with the development that we are seeing under Powell et. al.
    Surely that is the sign of a good team?

• Options
    Stuart, what I was referring to was just how high up we can go before we find teams harder to beat. Clearly we are 'too' good for the third division. We might find that we can win and win in the championship too, but until we get there we don't know just how good the squad is.
  • Options
    Watched his cameo on the Beeb link above. Very impressed with his movement and anticipation. Did the simple stuff and did it well.

See the Jills' manager has offered to reimburse the costs of each away supporter lol
  • Options
    3 goals away from home..................what more do they want?
  • Options
    Someone on here damned him as "not a finisher" because he missed a chance just after coming on, late against 'Alifax.
    woopsy
  • Options
    Seems to keep his head up when he gets the ball. Good run for the third goal. And he's MASSIVE. Surprised Wednesday didn't sign him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems to keep his head up when he gets the ball. Good run for the third goal. And he's MASSIVE. Surprised Wednesday didn't sign him.
    Nah, he's only 6 ft 4". Not tall enough for Megsons hoofball1