Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham - Local Rivals?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I was very very close to being West Ham.

Family are from the East End but in the 50's Charlton were 1st division and a big club, West Ham were 2nd division and smaller.

My old man went for the glory

It was never nice being away from The Valley but the time at Upton Park was a hundred times better than Selhurst (and also easier for me to get to)

Never seen them as a rival, they would have 20 clubs they dislike more than us but then again I just dont get some rivalries, Palace and Millwall in particular.
  • Options
    by similar i meant that we are of similar size, we have quite a good history of success in days gone by, we have always looked to produce good young players from within,

we had a history of giving managers time in the role,

we have over the last 15 -20 years had similar success on and off the pitch and have both fallen on harder times of late,

the list could go on,

plus like the barrow boys of east londarn tawn we are the salt of the earth types until you reach deptford where you herberts start to appear
    Similar size? I'd sya west ham were quite a way bigger than yourselves.

Can't recall you winning the world cup either...

• Options
    I could have been West Ham as my Dad was born in Dagenham. Luckily his Dad kept true to his Charlton roots and my grandad and dad cycled from Dagenham to Charlton for every home game. When we moved to Essex when I was little I and had to suffer a lot of West Ham arrogance - even when they were in a lower league to us.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I think they are bigger than us without a doubt , but we have the potential to reach their size we regularly sold out capacity during the premises years and we showed steady fan growth at that time, the fact we can attract 15k To 20k in the third tier I think would match that of west ham
  • Options
    They're not local.
    Well they're closer to us than Sheffield Wednesday are to Sheffield United.
    I know thats a 2 team city so their is obviously going to be a massive rivalry, but even so, West Ham and Charlton are close.
    As the crow flies they're close. Getting there is a different matter, you also travel about 20 years back in time when you cross the river.
    Your views are a disgrace!!

Ha ha! Sorry mate but it's true!
  • Options
    by similar i meant that we are of similar size, we have quite a good history of success in days gone by, we have always looked to produce good young players from within,

we had a history of giving managers time in the role,

we have over the last 15 -20 years had similar success on and off the pitch and have both fallen on harder times of late,

the list could go on,

plus like the barrow boys of east londarn tawn we are the salt of the earth types until you reach deptford where you herberts start to appear
    Similar size? I'd sya west ham were quite a way bigger than yourselves.

Can't recall you winning the world cup either...

Sorry Nth London but I agree with Sparrows. We're not in the same stratosphere as West Ham, thankfully as they charge £40 for a championship ticket! Neither have we got the success, I think they've won a cup winners cup and a few FA cups. If the investment was made in the 50s we could've been the biggest club in London though, ho hum!
  • Options
    Thats why i said the last 15-20 years mate and that i agree they are a bigger club than us, but if we were to try again on reaching the top tier, i would suggest that we could proberly reach the same level of capacity size that they have

we could never compete on the same level as

spuds
    arsenal
    chelsea

fan wise

but we could i believe be comparable to the wet spam, we have already a bigger fan base than

Fulham
    Palarse
    Millsmall
    Orient

so i base my opinion on who we can reach to be comparable too
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    iam charlton fan working in westham a there never seems to be any mention of a rivalry at all for the westham staff or fans mainley targeting millwall and palace and dagenham as there "main rivals" i was surprised as theres never a mention about charlton
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    how made up is the dockers rivalry? biggest load of bollocks ever.
    i don't see west ham and milwall as that similar either other than both having scummy thugs,obviously west ham is ridiculously bigger.
    not sure they played much of each other up until the 80's and these scummy thugs got the chance to have a tear up with each other and that's where the rivalry for them lies, although most of my west ham mates see spurs as their main rival anyway and that playing millwall is a chance to put the little upstart back down in their place.
  • Options
    how made up is the dockers rivalry? biggest load of bollocks ever.
    i don't see west ham and milwall as that similar either other than both having scummy thugs,obviously west ham is ridiculously bigger.
    not sure they played much of each other up until the 80's and these smummy thugs got the chance to have a tear up with each other and that's where the rivalry for them lies, although most of my west ham mates see spurs as their main rival anyway and that playing millwall is a chance to put the little upstart back down in their place.
    They played against each other quite often in the late 1800's & early 1900's I believe, competing quite a bit in the East End Cup. Played 60 times prior to WW1...but not often after!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was led to believe by older relatives that in the '60's and even into the '70's some West Ham fans had us as their second team rather than rivals - that is, would come to our home games if there wasn't a home game at Upton Park.

As others have said, I don't think we played each other enough in the past to foment a rivalry. I think it may have happened if we'd stayed in the Premiership together for longer.