Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wolves owner enters dressing room to criticise the players

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/01/steve-morgan-wolves

Crazy, crazy stuff.

IMHO owners should never be in the dressing room, it should be the preserve of the manager and his assistants.

Once owners/CEO's start to enter the changing room then surely you start to confuse the players as to who is in charge of the team.

Discuss!

Comments

• Options
    I agree it's wrong but then how do you stop the likes of Abramovic and the Citeh lot quiet when they have spent so much money?
  • Options
    I agree it's wrong but then how do you stop the likes of Abramovic and the Citeh lot quiet when they have spent so much money?
    Very true, I know RA definitely goes into the Chelsea dressing room, not sure about the City people.

RA definitely has an influence on the playing side at Chelsea, no doubt at all about that.

Morgan is being a bit cheeky here, I mean, Wolves have not spent a lot of dough (in Premiership terms)and were beaten by a Liverpool team that included about 150 million quid's worth of talent, not a really surprising result at all.

Wolves could not have a better manager in place than McCarthy, Morgan would be mad to de-stabilise him.
  • Options
    Pretty simple for me. The owner should restrict himself to entering with the Manager's permission to offer praise or positives which will motivate the players. When you appoint a Manager, you must give him the power to manage. All this bloke has done is to make himself feel better, and everybody else feel worse. Sack him, wouldn't that be a novelty.
  • Options
    Pretty simple for me. The owner should restrict himself to entering with the Manager's permission to offer praise or positives which will motivate the players. When you appoint a Manager, you must give him the power to manage. All this bloke has done is to make himself feel better, and everybody else feel worse. Sack him, wouldn't that be a novelty.
    Down here in Oz one of the legendary Rugby League coaches, Wayne Bennett, never, ever lets owners/directors into the rooms before or after the game.

His reasoning is simple, the owners/directors are only there for one reason - themselves - and are not there for the players at all, its just an ego trip.

"If the owners think they can do a better job than me motivating the players then they're welcome to have a try," he said in one of his books.
  • Options
    11 games without a win, so hardly impatient - if they win the next game then clearly justified!
  • Options
    When I win the euromillions and buy a football club, I won't interfere - I know my limitations!
  • Options
    When I win the euromillions and buy a club - I'll be installing myself as player manager & captain!!
  • Options
    If I remember rightly, didn't Ron Noades actually take over as manager at Palace for a while?
  • Options
    When I win the euromillions and buy a football club, I won't interfere - I know my limitations!
    If I ever did buy Charlton then I would definitely not be able to resist registering myself as a player and insisting that the manager gave me a 5 minute cameo in an end of season game.

I wonder if an owner/chairman has ever done this?
  • Options
    If I remember rightly, didn't Ron Noades actually take over as manager at Palace for a while?
    he did it at brentford , he managed for a bit and i'm pretty sure he had a good spell at first ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I ever did buy Charlton then I would definitely not be able to resist registering myself as a player and insisting that the manager gave me a 5 minute cameo in an end of season game.

I wonder if an owner/chairman has ever done this?
    The Doncaster Chairman did it I believe on promotion from the Conference in 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ryan_(businessman)
  • Options
    Barry Fry Chairman/Manager at Peterborough.
  • Options
    Directors/Chairman have no place in the dressing room.....
    There are plenty of occassions for them to meet the players, and more than enough time to discuss the team with the manager. I would not give a toss if any chairman put a billion in, and bought Messi they have no right to interfere in there?. Managers, coaching staff, and players, and support staff like physio's end of. If chairman want to manage, go ahead and do it?. I am not a particular fan of Mick, but he deserves better than this?.
    As Shank's once put it re directors/chairman: "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques, not to make them out. We'll do that - they just sign them."
  • Options
    i mean who could imagine a chairman picking a managers own coaching staff to work with ................ridiculous
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Is Steve Morgan a Liverpool supporter ? I think so. You would have thought he would be congratulating the Wolves players, not having a go
    :-)
  • Options
    i mean who could imagine a chairman picking a managers own coaching staff to work with ................ridiculous
    Recipe for disaster!

• Options
    They may be amateurs, but that was a message from Ken to the Directors/Chairman of the team he manages! ;-)
  • Options
    Sounds pretty stupid to me, it's just not what he should be doing... kinda undermines the manager as well
  • Options
    Undermines the manager massively. Didn't Gold do it at West Ham, really humiliated Zola and the players ended up despising the owner.

Wolves manager thinking their rot should be ended against Liverpool is a bit delusional.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolute rubbish. He finances the club, and chooses who runs it. God some of you lot live in the dark ages. Football isn't run by a cabal of Scottsmen from coal villages.

Is it right? Couldn't care less, if it works and Wolves start defending then yes. Someon who does it week in, week out clearly needs to reasses their staff. Now more than ever a managers success is down to the chairman's support, and financing for wages. Go into the changing room? Who cares, but he certainly has every right to as without the modern chairman most Prem clubs would never sustain the losses.
  • Options
    not good .. how long before Mick the mac takes the walk of shame. Wolves is one of those poisoned chalice clubs, past glories matched only by recent mediocrity. Any punts as to who might be a success as a manager there ? ....
  • Options
    Managers are put in a very difficult position when owners/chairmen start taking liberties. Essentially the only answer is to put your job on the line "Piss off and let me manage or I'm off" which obviously runs the risk of being shown the door. At the end of the day the owner/chairman is the manager's boss - what's he supposed to do?
  • Options
    Absolute rubbish. He finances the club, and chooses who runs it. God some of you lot live in the dark ages. Football isn't run by a cabal of Scottsmen from coal villages.

Is it right? Couldn't care less, if it works and Wolves start defending then yes. Someon who does it week in, week out clearly needs to reasses their staff. Now more than ever a managers success is down to the chairman's support, and financing for wages. Go into the changing room? Who cares, but he certainly has every right to as without the modern chairman most Prem clubs would never sustain the losses.
    Something tells me you don't work as a senior manager in a business where the main assets are its people....

• Options

Something tells me you don't work as a senior manager in a business where the main assets are its people....

Something tells me you don't work for a company that constantly appraises it's financial risk? I'm not really interested in what you do, but I hazard a guess it's nowhere near as succesful or diverse as building a smallish company into an FTSE 250 company. Would I particularly want to work for an owner boss who does that at every crisis? No; and I have by the way, no surprise he wasn't around long after his IPO. Meeting and knowing of a few people who've set up their own Private Equity Funds, I'm guessing I'm a little more varied on people's character and management styles past that of HR doctrinaires.

And no I'm not a senior manager, it's not in my character. I just figure Steve Morgan's success, ownership and business acumen quite clearly gives him the right to confront his well paid under-performing stars. If I remember rightly didn't Richard Murray do this with our useless squad in the winter of 2008?

• Options
    It is possible that Richard Murray did that, but if so, only against his better judgement, and in the knowledge (and frustration) that he had made a mistake with his managerial appointments post Curbs. What I know for certain is that with Curbs he worked on the basis that he employed Curbs to manage the players, precisely because he, Richard, had no experience whatsoever in managing and motivating professional footballers. Neither does Steve Morgan to my knowledge. So let's see which approach works out better...
  • Options
    edited February 2012

I understand where you are coming from with this argument but I think that the broader point is that a chairman might have every right to come and dress down the players if, for example, they've been away on a club trip and behaved disgracefully - that would be a 'club' matter.

However, as I understand it, Morgan went in there and bollocked them for "not trying" and "not working hard enough" - and that is surely the managers domain to make those judgements.

For what its worth I can't see how anybody, especially Morgan who has no professional football experiences, can accuse the Wolves players of "not trying" - they are one of the hardest working teams in the Premiership. Were they "not trying" when they got a 1-1 draw at Spurs too? Not trying when Lampard scored a last minute winner for Chelsea at Molineux to make it 3-2?

I think a chairman can intervene on some occasions but this stuff is a step too far and totally undermines the manager, no team can have two bosses, players will not only be wondering if the manager rates them but also if the chairman does and that's not tenable.
  • Options
    The Chairman barging into the dressing room shouting the odds about football to professional footballers and a respected premiership manager can and will only end in tears.
  • Options
    He can do as he likes, but wasn't it basically a message for McCarthy? You aren't getting through so I'll have a go? The Wolves fans want McCarthy out, the owner has now shown no respect........Manager gone.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    some chairmen may think they know better than their own manager

and for the record Curbs, whose offer of help was turned down by murray, said McCarthy was his no.1 choice to take over from him