Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

All time classic songs

Comments

• Options

For me

Current classics:

Dakota- stereophonics
    If you're going to put this out there, I am going to have to respond. I don't agree with Suzi - I think if you are sharing a list like this, you can be called up on it. Otherwise it's just people posting lists to each other, without paying any attention to anyone's but your own! That said, if it feels good, do it.

The 'Phonics first songs were crackers. A trip through small town Welsh life. Personal. Touching. Intriguing.

Then they left Wales. They went to the US. They wrote an inferior album. Followed by an even weaker album. Why? Because they had nothing left to sing about. No more small town stories - they were fabrications, and when they were about real life, they were embarrassingly lame. Take the one about "I stood where Kennedy stood to make that famous speech"; it was like listening to somebody's post-holiday slideshow.

Which brings me to Dakota. A song that is so lyrically inept I thought it was a joke the first time I heard it.

"Thinking about thinking of you... Summertime.. I think it was June... yeah I think it was June"

My god. It's rock bottom. The worst lyrics I think the 'phonics ever penned. While I do like the tune a lot, the lyrics are so utterly woeful that there's no way on god's green Earth it belongs in a classics list!

Anyway...

Current:
    Mary - The Subways
    Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger
    Family Tree - Ben Kweller
    Bitch Went Nuts - Ben Folds
    Hurley's Handouts - Michael Giacchino

All Time:
    Peggy Sue - Buddy Holly
    World Leader Pretend (Live at Mountain Stage) - REM
    Bat Out Of Hell - Meat Loaf
    American Pie - Don McLean
    Talk Show Host - Radiohead

• Options
    Also...
    Ace of Spades - Motorhead
    Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
    Town Called Malice - The Jam
    68 Guns - The Alarm
    Castles in the Sand - Thunder
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Comfortably Numb....Pink Floyd.
    Kashsmir....................Led Zeppelin.
    Exodus...... ...............Bob Marley.
    Starship Trooper........Yes.
    Penny Lane................The Beatles.........(though there are so many from them I could have included).
  • Options

For me

Current classics:

Dakota- stereophonics
    If you're going to put this out there, I am going to have to respond. I don't agree with Suzi - I think if you are sharing a list like this, you can be called up on it. Otherwise it's just people posting lists to each other, without paying any attention to anyone's but your own! That said, if it feels good, do it.

The 'Phonics first songs were crackers. A trip through small town Welsh life. Personal. Touching. Intriguing.

Then they left Wales. They went to the US. They wrote an inferior album. Followed by an even weaker album. Why? Because they had nothing left to sing about. No more small town stories - they were fabrications, and when they were about real life, they were embarrassingly lame. Take the one about "I stood where Kennedy stood to make that famous speech"; it was like listening to somebody's post-holiday slideshow.

Which brings me to Dakota. A song that is so lyrically inept I thought it was a joke the first time I heard it.

"Thinking about thinking of you... Summertime.. I think it was June... yeah I think it was June"

My god. It's rock bottom. The worst lyrics I think the 'phonics ever penned. While I do like the tune a lot, the lyrics are so utterly woeful that there's no way on god's green Earth it belongs in a classics list!

Anyway...

Current:
    Mary - The Subways
    Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger
    Family Tree - Ben Kweller
    Bitch Went Nuts - Ben Folds
    Hurley's Handouts - Michael Giacchino

All Time:
    Peggy Sue - Buddy Holly
    World Leader Pretend (Live at Mountain Stage) - REM
    Bat Out Of Hell - Meat Loaf
    American Pie - Don McLean
    Talk Show Host - Radiohead

Jimmy

Feel free to disagree, it's your right. I agree that stereos earlier stuff is a lot better. Dakota for me though is still a very well written song. Both tuneful and lyrical. Personally one of my classics because of the times ive had when that song has been played. Gigs, clubs etc.

That's why it's more of a classic for me.

• Options

Archies - Sugar Sugar (blushes, but just a good pop song)
    no need to blush! a definate classic. Great memories at my wedding dancing to this with my father in law as it is his favourite song.

• Options
    I must also admit the reason I started this discussion is i fancy downloading some new music this weekend. So thought I'd see if any of the tracks on here would catch my fancy.
  • Options
    Current:

Brookes Brothers - Tears you down (not even a Drum and Base fan but this is a tune of epic proportions)

Classic:

Gladys Knight & The Pips - Midnight train to Georgia (just an incredible record)
  • Options
    I must also admit the reason I started this discussion is i fancy downloading some new music this weekend. So thought I'd see if any of the tracks on here would catch my fancy.
    I think you'd like a couple of mine Josh looking at your tastes.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Jimmy Wrote:
    Which brings me to Dakota. A song that is so lyrically inept I thought it was a joke the first time I heard it. "Thinking about thinking of you... Summertime.. I think it was June... yeah I think it was June" My god. It's rock bottom. The worst lyrics I think the 'phonics ever penned. While I do like the tune a lot, the lyrics are so utterly woeful that there's no way on god's green Earth it belongs in a classics list!

Jimmy, sorry for getting narked, it was more because you posted criticising his choice and not posting your own.
    I wasn't saying people shouldn't have an opinion - positive or negative, but everyone has their own classics for their own reasons, and its hard to argue withsome that they shouldn't love their favourite song, even if you don't agree, my point really was more about you criticising him without putting your own down. which you have now so all is good.
  • Options
    I which case

Old
    Anything by the Faces

New

Anything by The Black Keys
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Soundtrack to my life:
    Dazed and Confused – Led Zeppelin
    Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd
    My Boomerang Won't Come Back – Charlie Drake
  • Options

I which case

Old
    Anything by the Faces

New

Yup got all the black keys albums and few of the faces tracks
  • Options
    Thunder Road -Springsteen
    Carry on my wayward son - Kansas
    Anglesea - Cat Stevens
    Fire and Rain - James Taylor
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding - Elvis Costello
    Baba O'Reilly - The Who

And....thanks to whoever posted that Youtube video on the Alan Simonsen thread, I'm constantly playing Turn Tail by the Young Knives. Excellent song and an good example of how 'time and place' plays a big part in the kind of impact any song has on us - I'll always associate it with Charlton's rise and fall.
  • Options
    Mate of mine went to see The Black Keys last night at Ally Pally, tbh I'd never heard of them till he mentioned them the other day. People tell me they are good.
  • Options
    Anglesea - Cat Stevens
    Baba O'Reilly - The Who

And....thanks to whoever posted that Youtube video on the Alan Simonsen thread, I'm constantly playing Turn Tail by the Young Knives. Excellent song and an good example of how 'time and place' plays a big part in the kind of impact any song has on us - I'll always associate it with Charlton's rise and fall.

Three great tracks. In fact most of early JT. I would go with the Brinsley's version of What's so funny though.
  • Options
    Baba O'Reilly......good shout!
  • Options
    Mate of mine went to see The Black Keys last night at Ally Pally, tbh I'd never heard of them till he mentioned them the other day. People tell me they are good.
    That's what Johnnie Jackson said!

Yes really good like, saw them in Brixton last year check our their albums brothers and el camino.

• Options
    That's what Johnnie Jackson said!

Yes really good like, saw them in Brixton last year check our their albums brothers and el camino.

I saw them support Coldplay last summer in Atlanta and thought they were dreadful!!

• Options
    I'm not surprised, Coldplay ARE dreadful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not surprised, Coldplay ARE dreadful.
    This
  • Options
    I which case

Old
    Anything by the Faces

New

I just love the Faces & early Rod Stewart - upto & including Never A Dull Moment, even then i quite like some of his cheesy later stuff.....

• Options
    Anglesea - Cat Stevens
    Baba O'Reilly - The Who

Three great tracks. In fact most of early JT. I would go with the Brinsley's version of What's so funny though.
    Anything by Nick Lowe - an absolute genius of a song writer......
  • Options
    I saw Nick Lowe last year and would agree with Oakster

You must try some Robyn Hitchcock including the Soft Boys stuff
  • Options
    not yet a classic but i haven't got a song out of my head all day. Went to see Slow Club, last night at Heaven. this one song that they sung acoustic on the edge of the stage with no mic's nothing was amazing. It's called 'Gold Mountain'.
    She would also catch some of your eyes as she's stunning with an amazing singing voice to boot, however a quick glance at google images and i *think* she's been on stage in a Wendies dress!!! try not to let this put you off!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Nick Lowe's recent stuff is just brilliant - At My Age and The Old Magic
  • Options
    Some great picks on here - mine change by the hour!

Fairly consistent though are:

All Right Now - Free
    Be My Friend - Free
    Dolphins - Tim Buckley
    Crossroads - Cream
    The Thrill is Gone - BB King
    The Letter - BB King
    Born Under a Bad Sign - Albert King
    Is This Love - Whitesnake
    Watching the Detectives - Elvis Costello

Etc, etc!
  • Options
    Maybe a bit soppy but another oldie just cropped up on random play on the iPod.

Sarah - Thin Lizzy

I'm not sure it quite gets classic status though.
  • Options
    Old rock classics
    Layla - Derek & the Dominos
    Smoke on the water - Deep Purple
    Since you've been Gone - rainbow
    Won't get fooled again - The Who
    Crazy Train - Ozzy Osborne

Old pop classics
    Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
    Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
    My Generation - The Who
    Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks