Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Childhood reminders

edited February 2012 in Not Sports Related
I walked into work this morning, there was some bodgers working on the electrics, the smell of the (burning?) electrics took me straight back to playing Scalectrix when I was a nipper, and whenever I smell that same smell it always does.

So my cyber friends, what one thing reminds you of your childhood?

Comments

• Closing my eyes and imagining I'm standing at the top of the old East Terrace............. circa 1958.
  • the smell and taste of JPS and Mackesons
  • For some reason had the Thomas the Tank Engine theme tune in my head this morning. Haven't seen that show in roughly 24 years...
  • edited February 2012
    The smell of freshly laid Tarmac always takes me back to the hot summer of 1975.

The smell of Cheese and Onion crisps reminds me of sitting in the corridor of the William Shakespeare pub in Woolwich as a nipper whilst my Dad was in the bar.

The smell of lighter fuel.....................Ahhhhh!

Sorry for over doing it.
  • The orange cordial machines that you used to get , big tank full of orange swirling around and being really really cold
  • Cigar smoke reminds me of the old valley club at 2.55 me wanting to get in
    the ground my dad wanting to order another pint
  • The smell of a certain type of plastic in toy shops takes me right back to the toy department in Chiesmans, Lewisham.
  • whenever I take a short cut across Charlton Park it reminds me of the prank that my dad and brother played to me when i was six and going to my first match, walking up to a pitch and trying to convince me that this was the Valley.
  • The smell of copper coins etc. When i was a kid, whenever i used to visit my grandparents they would give me used Golden Virginia tins, filled with coppers they used to collect up for me. I would spend hours sorting them out and pilling them up and would often have over £10 to cash in at the bank. Now whenever i handle a lot of coins (not often in today's cashless society) i think of those tins of money. Aren't grandparents great!
  • The starting sequence for Thunderbirds always reminds me of how excited I used to get as a kid waiting for teh programme to start. 5....4....3....2....1.

Oh the joys of three channels
  • Sponsored links:

• The smell of copper coins etc. When i was a kid, whenever i used to visit my grandparents they would give me used Golden Virginia tins, filled with coppers they used to collect up for me. I would spend hours sorting them out and pilling them up and would often have over £10 to cash in at the bank. Now whenever i handle a lot of coins (not often in today's cashless society) i think of those tins of money. Aren't grandparents great!
    Mine used to do exactly the same. Gave them to me and my sis the day before we went on our summer holidays to spend in the arcades.
  • Fresh paint and tobacco always remind of my dad's work bag (he was a painter and decorator). I remember seeing someone carrying an identical duffle bag in the street and the same smell came my nose.
  • the shouts from the toffee apple man on a sunday afternoon as we were playing football on the green (jumpers for goalposts)
  • Cigar smoke reminds me of the old valley club at 2.55 me wanting to get in
    the ground my dad wanting to order another pint
    That would have been mike baileys cigar :)

The smell of chicken in a basket and chips reminds me of that place, I loved it in there, I'm sure they must have had the strongest toilet freshened in the world, and not GHE nicest.
    Halsey was my dads mate and always ended up in there, normally all bloody night. I never got home from a home game until about 11pm, I was about 6 or 7 at the time.
  • It is wonderful how smell as a sense is the strongest in reminding us of things. Do you all remember the Welsh Rarebit/Cheese On Toast smell from the sugar refinery that used to pervade the Valley from time to time?
  • the shouts from the toffee apple man on a sunday afternoon as we were playing football on the green (jumpers for goalposts)
    Get your toffee apples. Moonnkkkyy nuuttttsss.

Pickled onion monster munch. Grandad used to buy me and my brothers a pack down at the club in slade green whenever we stayed at their house

• Fish and chip smell reminds me of my holidays as a kid on The Isle of Sheppey .
  • It is wonderful how smell as a sense is the strongest in reminding us of things. Do you all remember the Welsh Rarebit/Cheese On Toast smell from the sugar refinery that used to pervade the Valley from time to time?
    We used to call it, "Boiling the Bones".
  • Remember the tannoy commercials at The Valley in late 60s.

"Come Greyhound Racing at Charlton Stadium...."

And, with a little jingle, "Shaving with Erasmic saves you money..." Or was it saving?
  • Fag cards, Meccano, and Dinky toys. Dandy and Beano and rag and bone men on their carts. The Sally Army Band playing on the street corner. Uncle Derek on the radio, and Dick Barton Special Agent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Now that's what I like!
  • ....Young boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts, marvellous......
  • A certain cigar smell reminds me of the east terrace - not sure which make it is. The smell of shandy reminds me of the CIU club in Lee. Ditto, the Scalextrics smell as Greenie. TCP reminds me of Miss Skelton at Alderwood School.
  • I used to go to Erith School. The west building was right next to the Mother's Pride bakery so the smell of hot cross buns always reminds of school.
  • I used to go to Erith School. The west building was right next to the Mother's Pride bakery so the smell of hot cross buns always reminds of school.
    Reminds me of Easter!

Yep, similarly the old Peak Freans bakery that used to be just outside London Bridge station.

On that a friend is restoring an old car (can't remember the make) but it has that smell of leather from the uphostlry that you don't get any more.

We used to call it, "Boiling the Bones".
    I remember that smell vividly from when I lived in Church Lane as a kid, I used to call it "cheese and weetabix" still smell it occasionally, especially around Penhall Road or down by the Blackwall Tunnel.
    Living in Barnehurst now, I get that currant bun smell quite often from the bakery.

• edited February 2012
    It is wonderful how smell as a sense is the strongest in reminding us of things. Do you all remember the Welsh Rarebit/Cheese On Toast smell from the sugar refinery that used to pervade the Valley from time to time?

I always assumed it was from the British Oil and Cake Mills over on Belvedere marshes, but I think that's gone now and, as church-lane mentioned, you still sometimes get the smell as you exit the Blackwall Tunnel. So where is the sugar refinery?

I always assumed it was from the British Oil and Cake Mills over on Belvedere marshes, but I think that's gone now and, as church-lane mentioned, you still sometimes get the smell as you exit the Blackwall Tunnel. So where is the sugar refinery?
    I think it was hard by the tunnel entrance on the London side.
  • Linseed oil on putty throws me back to the days where the cloth caps join us schoolkids on the train on way home...