Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IT Question

edited February 2012 in Not Sports Related
I've been given an old Apple Mac computer and wondered if it is possible to connect it to an existing small office PC network running XP Pro. Obviously no point if you can't access and use shared MS Application files. Should I not even think about it?

Comments

• Options
    I've been given an old Apple Mac computer and wondered if it is possible to connect it to an existing small office PC network running XP Pro. Obviously no point if you can't access and use shared MS Application files. Should I not even think about it?
    You can connect it to a WinXP network and see shared files but you will need software to see/use MS Office files (eg MS Office for Mac). I'm not a Mac user but I'm sure there are many on the board that will tell you if I'm wrong !

• Options

Turning them both off then on at the same time should do it.
  • Options

Turning them both off then on at the same time should do it.

It's all right for you techie types you know where the on/off button is.
  • Options
    in short yes you can do this, I do it both at home on a peer to peer network and at work on a domain, you can google for various solutions

http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/mac/articles/how-do-i-share-files-between-my-mac-and-pc

etc
  • Options
    Thanks for your help folks.
  • Options
    np, my wife is a MAC guru, first female Apple 'genius' in UK - some years ago