Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL Survey Results - Part 1

2»

Comments

• Options
    Not surprised by the statistics. At the very least it makes me feel like a youngster (in reality I'm in the middle).
    Ultimately I wouldn't worry about bringing in a younger audience or even actively campaigning to increase membership. You have good (user created) content and a loyal community. Word of mouth is and will work for you. I think people come on here for information and lively debate. The layout works.
  • Options
    Well done AFKA . I'm one of the female minority on here and really enjoy this site. I find it a great source of news and views on Charlton and have become quite addicted (no pun intended!). I log on a few times a day and consider it one of the best sources of up to date news.
    Exactly what I was going to say...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Maybe the age group thing is not about the ages of those on charltonlife, but rather about the younger lot meaning to do the survey sometime, but not getting round to it, rather than not being on here. Us older folk might have more opportunity and inclination to fill in the survey.

The age brackets were wrong when I filled it out, as im sure it was for many others.. I had to round up to a group a few years older

• Options
    So you said you were 59, then Shine?

AFKA's stats are distorted!

;o)
  • Options
    Maybe a bit controversial, but why would you want to increase the numbers of women and kids on here?

Not saying they're not welcome - they are, of course - but the thing that makes this place work for me is that it is made up (mostly) of people I can identify with. I "get" most of the posts/threads.

If you start to dilute that the danger is the whole place loses one of it's main strengths.

Just a thought. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    Maybe a bit controversial, but why would you want to increase the numbers of women and kids on here?

Not saying they're not welcome - they are, of course - but the thing that makes this place work for me is that it is made up (mostly) of people I can identify with. I "get" most of the posts/threads.

If you start to dilute that the danger is the whole place loses one of it's main strengths.

So is this a online working mans club, or a forum for Charlton Fans ?

I think the cliqueness comes from stuff like this
  • Options
    Old Git and proud of it!
  • Options

It's different things for different people, isn't it? Surely that's allowed?

And for the record I personally know about three people who post on here. So if there is a "clique" it has nothing to do with me. Get over it.
  • Options

And for the record I personally know about three people who post on here. So if there is a "clique" it has nothing to do with me. Get over it.
    Surely it comes down to a bit of give and take.

You and I have had some good old ding dongs over the years but I like to think there is mutual respect even when we disagree.

However there are some threads I don't bother with because they don't interest me yet it's not my place to suggest people shouldn't discuss the topics.

We are a broad church with a common love, Charlton Athletic FC.
  • Options

get over it ? are you even aware of your posts which I replied too ?

BTW, women are allowed to vote now and I even just saw one in the bookies.. although she did spoil the vibe by talking about kittens and knitting patterns
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Agree with that Len. (And well done for not mentioning the EU!)
    ;o)
  • Options

BTW, women are allowed to vote now and I even just saw one in the bookies.. although she did spoil the vibe by talking about kittens and knitting patterns
    Really? Thanks for that.

And yes, perfectly aware thanks. Are you?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Old Git and proud of it!
    Thank the Lord there is at least one poster older than me!

;o)

• Options

Really? Thanks for that.

And yes, perfectly aware thanks. Are you?
    I am indeed, I just witnessed it.
  • Options
    Read what I said again mate and get off your high horse.
  • Options
    Read what I said again mate and get off your high horse.

Fair play, maybe it was just your wording. Its the same when people say 'im not a racist....BUT'.

'Maybe a bit controversial, but why would you want to increase the numbers of women and kids on here?
    Not saying they're not welcome - they are, of course - BUT'......

..... surely you can see where I was coming from
  • Options
    Ah...You can just Feel the Love on here !
  • Options
    My view on the younger members. I started going regularly to the Valley in about 97 when I was 12, back then I rarely saw many around my age. Now there does seem to be a growing number of young people attending. My theory on this stems from what happened with the club moving away moving back etc. I think in those periods it is fairly impossible to attract new/young support and thus there would be nearly a generation missing. Since then with the Prem years there would have been a growing support, now it is probably a case that that growing support now have young family members they are bringing to football.

About the survey i'm probably a little more shocked there aren't more in the 25-32 bracket, from some of the other football boards I visit I would say that is one of the more popular age groups but again this probably leads back to where the club was for most of these posters when growing up.

If there is an intention to grow the number of young posters I would agree that embracing other platforms such as Facebook, Twitter etc. would help.
  • Options
    I'm 19 and read this forum an awful lot, even though I rarely post.

The thing about an online forum is that all ages can interact with each other on a more or less equal footing, and indeed without actually revealing your age (although it often becomes clear through posts reminiscing about pre-1985 or something like that). For my money, the very fact that this is such a high-quality board, full of sensible discussions about all sorts of things, which very rarely descends into name-calling and swearing, is one of the reasons few youngsters take part. Also, it's quite likely someone has already made the point I want to make, hence my inactivity.
  • Options

About the survey i'm probably a little more shocked there aren't more in the 25-32 bracket, from some of the other football boards I visit I would say that is one of the more popular age groups but again this probably leads back to where the club was for most of these posters when growing up.
    That is the age bracket which was not available at start of the survey

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If CL is the Radio 4 of football forums that is a hallmark of unrivalled quality!
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    The other point is that when cafc-fans and Net Addicks closed, Charlton Life opened and most of the older posters came here, whereas most of the younger posters went to Addickted. Only around 10 of those Addickted posters are present on here, myself and Nathan being the main ones I see, with a couple of others rarely posting. If there wasn't that migration all of those years ago then I doubt that you'll be able to attract them now.
  • Options

The thing about an online forum is that all ages can interact with each other on a more or less equal footing, and indeed without actually revealing your age (although it often becomes clear through posts reminiscing about pre-1985 or something like that). For my money, the very fact that this is such a high-quality board, full of sensible discussions about all sorts of things, which very rarely descends into name-calling and swearing, is one of the reasons few youngsters take part. Also, it's quite likely someone has already made the point I want to make, hence my inactivity.
    Hopefully those who do like name-calling and swearing will stay away from this site and we can continue to see (on the whole) good debates without descending to such actions.
  • Options

dont worry about that, most of them are to old to remember what they said anyway.
  • Options

dont worry about that, most of them are to old to remember what they said anyway.
    Speak for yourself!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    thats why we have the quote button. now where was I?
    yes, attacting more women on the site is a tricky one. Maybe less posts against the daily mail might help. ; )