Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brick Lane not Tarmac Lane!

edited February 2012 in Not Sports Related
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24034826-brick-lane-not-tarmac-lane.do

Tower Hamlets council are going to ruin Brick Lane by tarmacing it in time for the Olympics. (Article link above).

Please feel free to click on the link below and sign the petition.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/brick-lane-not-tarmac-lane/

Comments

• Options
    why would they do this?

signed.
  • Options
    Seems a shame not to replace/repair the cobbles, even if they are modern (article says laid in the 90s). They are relaying all the cobbles around Borough Market/Clink Street at the moment. It looks lovely - well, it will do when it's finished!
  • Options
    Sponsored ad on the petition link:
    Tarmac For All Your Surfacing Needs. Quality Asphalt & Macadam Services.
    :-)
  • Options
    I just live down the road from Brick Lane. It's chaos and shambolic character is what makes it a fun place to be. It shouldn't be covered over with tarmac for the Olympics or indeed any other reason. London needs these places with a bit of spirit and individuality!! Sign up!
  • Options
    Never had cobbles till the 90s. What is the big fuss?
  • Options
    Some people were born in the 90's and therefore that is the only way they have seen Brick Lane. 20 years of history is still a pretty long time, and besides surely they could think of better things to do with our money than tarmac over a road 'for the Olympics'.

I wasn't aware that all these tourists were judging us on whether we have tarmac of brick roads!
  • Options
    Some people were born in the 90's and therefore that is the only way they have seen Brick Lane. 20 years of history is still a pretty long time, and besides surely they could think of better things to do with our money than tarmac over a road 'for the Olympics'.

I wasn't aware that all these tourists were judging us on whether we have tarmac of brick roads!

but if the road needs done (havent been for a while so not sure how the road is) it'll be cheaper to tarmac than to re-do the cobbles especially with the money already being spunked all over the place on the olympics
  • Options
    but the road doesn't need much repair so what's the point unless Tower Hamlets need to splurge their allowance or they want to smarten London up for the Olympics?! It's not as if London's roads currently need more roadworks going on.
  • Options
    Doing the knowledge and Brick Lane is most uncomfortable on the nether regions when they are bouncing up and down on the cobbled stones. However, I have signed it
  • Options
    Is anyone else thinking the Olympics is more hassle than its worth?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    spose it would make it easier to walk when absolutely off ya tits after a rave. love it round brick lane...great atmsophere.
  • Options
    Nope.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    tower hamlets are saying the block paving was not laid down properly and the surface has not worn well.
    Its also to make brick lane prepared for the many tourists visting during the olympics.
    I still feel its a shame because very rarely do modern improvements on an area make it more attractive. Building design is usually all wrong. bit like that dreadful new building on the corner of floyd road with church lane. doesent fit in what so ever with anything around it.
    The cobbles were acctually a good idea and have given the road more charactor.
    The cost of course is the issue. and you can see why, £300,000 for tarmac- knowing what will happen it will be more around £400,000 - £500,000 because of 'problems' they faced. Though that is significantly cheeper than the £1.25million for re doing all the cobbles. However that price might be exaggerated slightly to cover their own backs.
  • Options
    Its kept a few people in jobs during our current situation and probably couldn't have been better timed
  • Options
    Can't they do the potholes in the West Stand Car Park first?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Sorry Hamer, no I dont think that, I cant wait, it might not be for everyone and you may get a fair few sharing that view.
    Personally I have taken the three weeks off, helping out as a games maker job at Woolwich Barracks, got a few tickets for events (including Greco Roman Wrestling whatever that is), its going to be absolutely brilliant and I will allways look back on the summer of 2012 as a golden year where we won the Division One title at a canter and over 100 points and hosted an amazing games in an amazing city that I was part of.

I must concede however if it had been Sheffield 2012 and not London it would have been a more massive event
  • Options
    Its kept a few people in jobs during our current situation and probably couldn't have been better timed

But what about all the money being spent on the Olympics stadium etc? Could that not have been used elsewhere? NHS, Police?
  • Options
    Sorry Hamer, no I dont think that, I cant wait, it might not be for everyone and you may get a fair few sharing that view.
    Personally I have taken the three weeks off, helping out as a games maker job at Woolwich Barracks, got a few tickets for events (including Greco Roman Wrestling whatever that is), its going to be absolutely brilliant and I will allways look back on the summer of 2012 as a golden year where we won the Division One title at a canter and over 100 points and hosted an amazing games in an amazing city that I was part of.

I must concede however if it had been Sheffield 2012 and not London it would have been a more massive event

With you on this SG3.

BTW The IOC begged Sheffield to take the Olympics but the northerners said it wasn't a massive enough event for them
  • Options
    Not at all.

• Options
    Feck me they'll be tarmacking over the cow hide and greek cheese from beneath our feet on Leather Lane and Fetter Lane next the Nazis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Feck me they'll be tarmacking over the cow hide and greek cheese from beneath our feet on Leather Lane and Fetter Lane next the Nazis.
    Just as long as they don't touch Cock Lane in Smithfield

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cock_Lane.JPGimage
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    But what about all the money being spent on the Olympics stadium etc? Could that not have been used elsewhere? NHS, Police?

In Utopia yes but in reality no, the money just does not come out of the same pot, the NHS or Police would not bring the commercial benefits associated with the games but would swallow an equal amount and more if it were available.

The games is about so much more than receiving a bill for a stadium, the largest building project in Europe has provided as much as it has taken for/from the economy and no matter how optimistic it sounds we will be left with a legacy and infrastructure post games that is imeasurable in benefits to the country.

No doubt thousands of Londoners will be able to say "what have the games done for me?" and the answer will be nothing however if they asked the question "what opportunities could the games provide me?" there are many

The nearest analogy would be the old "How much do the Royal Family cost", its a debate that doesnt have a definitive answer just two answers, one each that fits each side of the argument and so we go round and around in circles whenever it comes up

So respect your opinion, wouldnt want to try and change or influence and still cant wait for the summer.

PS so we dont forget the original thread, I was unsure about tarmacing Brick Lane but thought it was an historic thing and not as recent as the 90's so not sure where I stand on it now?
  • Options
    Is Brick Lane not named after the brick factories that used to be in the area, rather than because of a brick road ?

• Options
    Is Brick Lane not named after the brick factories that used to be in the area, rather than because of a brick road ?

Yes
  • Options
    A wizard idea would be to just paint all the bricks yellow.
  • Options
    A wizard idea would be to just paint all the bricks yellow.
    maybe TelinOz could do it?
  • Options
    That's the spirit!

I worked on the Olympics planning permission and CPO. The client took us on one of the bus tours around the site. It's really looking good now, especially the landscaping. Before the Olympics the place was a dump, after the games it will be somwjhere to take your kids for a picnic.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    always preferred the winter Olympics myself. now had we got that I could understand the money we have spent. seeing as we don't have ice or snow or mountains. Where as the summer one we got everything, but somehow that isn't enough. so we have to make a massive Olympic site and pave over perfectly good roads.