Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

disabled parking at the valley

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
As everyone knows, the last few years has seen a rapid increase in the amount of disabled people holding blue badges. Not sure why this is ( LOL ) but I am sure it has nothing to do with fraudulent abuse of the system. It appears the two bays near the Oak ( right hand side ) have now been suspended making it almost impossible for disabled blue badge holders to get near to the ground. Parking near the ground without a blue badge has also become impossible by the way. As a result of this my Father last night ended 80 years of attending Charlton games and has decided he can no longer go to the valley. He has COPD and struggles to walk more than 100 yards. I have been dropping him near the ground and parking the car elsewhere and picking him up after the game. He has now found the whole thing too stressful and has decided not to come again. He will long remember his last game at the Valley, an amazing 1-1 draw with Rochdale. His seat next season will go to my 3 year old grandson as he starts his life as an addick. The wheels of life turning, but a real shame nevertheless.......

Comments

• Options
    Have you helped your 80 year old father by asking the club for help on this matter? I know other people have been sorted out. Perhaps you're dad doesnt want to make a fuss by calling them, maybe you should try for him.
  • Options
    As Curb-it says speak to the Club and speak to CASDA
  • Options
    I have emailed the club today. We used to have a space but it was withdrawn. The club were struggling with a massive increase in applications. To be honest, even a space behind the West is no good as he can't walk to the East ( sounds biblical ). I used to know Terri at the club, and she always helped me. Hopefully something will be sorted. The old man finds it all a strain.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    As everyone knows, the last few years has seen a rapid increase in the amount of disabled people holding blue badges. Not sure why this is ( LOL ) but I am sure it has nothing to do with fraudulent abuse of the system. It appears the two bays near the Oak ( right hand side ) have now been suspended making it almost impossible for disabled blue badge holders to get near to the ground. Parking near the ground without a blue badge has also become impossible by the way. As a result of this my Father last night ended 80 years of attending Charlton games and has decided he can no longer go to the valley. He has COPD and struggles to walk more than 100 yards. I have been dropping him near the ground and parking the car elsewhere and picking him up after the game. He has now found the whole thing too stressful and has decided not to come again. He will long remember his last game at the Valley, an amazing 1-1 draw with Rochdale. His seat next season will go to my 3 year old grandson as he starts his life as an addick. The wheels of life turning, but a real shame nevertheless.......
    masicat......I see you started off your post by stating that there has been a rapid increase in blue badge holders.......are you sure about that?
    I am 100% certain that the government (ergo local government) made it much tougher to get permits a few years back and cut back drasticly on the numbers being issued.
    I know someone in Lewisham who wanted one not so long ago and went through murders trying to get one from Lewisham Council.
    Not saying you're wrong but it's contrary to what I'm led to believe.

• Options
    reply from the club ''I’m afraid all our spaces are sold and the only ones we have available are match to match for away fans. The only thing I would suggest is to call us on a Thursday to see if they have been taken. We have a very high demand for disabled spaces and currently have a very long waiting list. The only thing we can offer you is a drop of pass.''
    ...................... pity he supports Charlton otherwise he could get one !!
  • Options
    I travel with a wheelchair-bound supporter and the stewards in the Lansdowne Mews disabled parking area said last night they now have too many badge holders for the spaces available. This is not helped by inconsiderate locals abusing the goodwill of the club by continuing to park there on matchdays (the club allows them to park there at other times). Not sure what the solution is I'm afraid.
  • Options
    if he cant walk from the west car park to the east then a drop off pass is better isn't it?

• Options
    Blag it by saying you live in Harvey gardens (just get the postcode).
  • Options
    Probably yes. Trouble is that he is very old. When dropped we then have to find somewhere to park, which isn't close. Getting back to pick him up after the game is a nightmare as well. This sounds like Im swerving it, but he gets frustrated by it all and is getting very old. If I could have got one at Sam Bartrams he could use the walkway into the East which wouldn't be too bad. At his age it needs to be simple and pain free.
  • Options
    my father recently had heart surgery so was in a similar position. i dropped him off at the corner of harvey gdns and charlton lane, parked my car in maryon road. it's a 10 minute walk away tops. after the game i got to my car and waited about 10 more minutes before picking him up from the same place. he probably waited 20-25 minutes but it would've taken him that to get to the car park.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Masicat, when my wife couldn't walk more than 50 yards for a few months I used to get a drop off pass on A match by match basis. Allowed me to drive down Floyd Road and drop at the East Stand turnstiles befor the game. After the game, I could either wait 20 mins to pick up from same spot, or she could get to the corner of Harvey Gardens / Charlton Lane and I'd pick up there.

There are always options if you want them. If he is simply to old to do it anymore however, just accept it. It's no ones fault, and it will cone to all of us at some stage.
  • Options
    If your dad is struggling with COPD then I would suggest getting him a wheelchair if he's only able to walk 100 yards - assuming you can persuade him to use one it will at least take some of the strain off him. Speak to the club re the situation or someone in CADSA and they should be able to sort something out.
    There's disabled parking near PC World which you would be able to use.
  • Options
    The bays by the Oak havent been suspended. My father in law is a blue badge holder and we park there every home game.
  • Options
    What about switching your season tickets to the West Stand - rather than the East? If he has trouble with the distance
  • Options
    They had cones on them Tuesday so assumed they were suspended.
    Maybe he is just too old, and maybe it is time to accept it. Seems a shame after 80 years. There is much abuse of the blue badge system and it doesn't help those in genuine need.
  • Options
    What about switching your season tickets to the West Stand - rather than the East? If he has trouble with the distance
    Thats a good shout Bubble, plus the old fella is 80 so he should count as a junior in the West Stand and get a cheaper ticket

:-)
  • Options
    Wouldn't put him in the West, he's old, not dead !
  • Options
    They had cones on them Tuesday so assumed they were suspended.
    Maybe he is just too old, and maybe it is time to accept it. Seems a shame after 80 years. There is much abuse of the blue badge system and it doesn't help those in genuine need.
    The cones are for the normal bays. They sometimes get moved about. We just moved them out of the disabled bay.
  • Options
    We take adults with severe learning disabilites,downs etc 2 the games we cant get a parking pass ,only a drop off which helps a bit ,but they cant be left while we go off and park so makes the day hard work.