Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Article about one of our old players

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Really? There's a statue of him at the ground for goodness sake!

• Options
    What a great article.
  • Options
    Chirpy...it's called irony
  • Options
    Whoosh
  • Options
    Whoosh
    All he needed was a ;-). His rules btw......

• Options
    Great article. Portsmouth threw a brick at him! Hooliganism at its worse.
  • Options
    Great article. Portsmouth threw a brick at him! Hooliganism at its worse.

True, hope they go out of business just for that.
  • Options
    On Christmas Day 1937, Bartram was in the papers once more after a bizarre incident in a match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. With the score at 1-1, the game had to be called off on 61 minutes due to thick fog. Unfortunately for Bartram, he was the last to be made aware. "Soon after the kick-off, [fog] began to thicken rapidly at the far end, travelling past Vic Woodley in the Chelsea goal and rolling steadily towards me," he wrote in his autobiography. "The referee stopped the game, and then, as visibility became clearer, restarted it. We were on top at this time, and I saw fewer and fewer figures as we attacked steadily.

"I paced up and down my goal-line, happy in the knowledge that Chelsea were being pinned in their own half. 'The boys must be giving the Pensioners the hammer,' I thought smugly, as I stamped my feet for warmth. Quite obviously, however, we were not getting the ball into the net. For no players were coming back to line up, as they would have done following a goal. Time passed, and I made several advances towards the edge of the penalty area, peering through the murk, which was getting thicker every minute. Still I could see nothing. The Chelsea defence was clearly being run off its feet.

"After a long time a figure loomed out of the curtain of fog in front of me. It was a policeman, and he gaped at me incredulously. 'What on earth are you doing here?' he gasped. 'The game was stopped a quarter of an hour ago. The field's completely empty'. And when I groped my way to the dressing-room, the rest of the Charlton team, already out of the bath and in their civvies, were convulsed with laughter."

top story.
  • Options
    I think you'll find it's bronze
  • Options
    Almost brought a tear to my eye
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Guys, can we stop all the ironic double-bluffing?!

... ;-)
  • Options
    Right thats it, my first son will have the middle name Bartram. Nailed on.
  • Options
    On Christmas Day 1937, Bartram was in the papers once more after a bizarre incident in a match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. With the score at 1-1, the game had to be called off on 61 minutes due to thick fog. Unfortunately for Bartram, he was the last to be made aware. "Soon after the kick-off, [fog] began to thicken rapidly at the far end, travelling past Vic Woodley in the Chelsea goal and rolling steadily towards me," he wrote in his autobiography. "The referee stopped the game, and then, as visibility became clearer, restarted it. We were on top at this time, and I saw fewer and fewer figures as we attacked steadily.

"I paced up and down my goal-line, happy in the knowledge that Chelsea were being pinned in their own half. 'The boys must be giving the Pensioners the hammer,' I thought smugly, as I stamped my feet for warmth. Quite obviously, however, we were not getting the ball into the net. For no players were coming back to line up, as they would have done following a goal. Time passed, and I made several advances towards the edge of the penalty area, peering through the murk, which was getting thicker every minute. Still I could see nothing. The Chelsea defence was clearly being run off its feet.

"After a long time a figure loomed out of the curtain of fog in front of me. It was a policeman, and he gaped at me incredulously. 'What on earth are you doing here?' he gasped. 'The game was stopped a quarter of an hour ago. The field's completely empty'. And when I groped my way to the dressing-room, the rest of the Charlton team, already out of the bath and in their civvies, were convulsed with laughter."

top story.

Urban myth.
  • Options

top story.

Urban myth.
    Deadful pun. Tham Bartram did not lithp.
  • Options
    According to wiki he was only 5'10, can you imagine if Charlton Life was around when we signed him?
  • Options
    According to wiki he was only 5'10, can you imagine if Charlton Life was around when we signed him?
    Yes, a bloody ginger in the team
  • Options
    Right thats it, my first son will have the middle name Bartram. Nailed on.
    My eldest is called Sam, he's just found out why! ;o)
  • Options
    Valiant 500 says 6' 0''
  • Options
    It hardly matters now does it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valiant 500 says 6' 0''
    One was going off his morning measurements and the other evening ;) after all we are shorter during the evening.
  • Options
    I thought the Pompey story was that they set fire to his goal?