Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Speed Awareness Course

Silly old me been driving for 5 months now and a speeding fine comes through, however with a possibly option for a speed awareness course?

Around £85 Ive been told... but has anyone been on one? do you actually learn anything?

Comments

• Options
    I've been on one. You learn a lot, it's well worth going, especially as it is as good as free when you take into account the speeding fine and the increased insurance.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    take it.... it's more like a refresher course & you do pick up some useful bits & pieces.

much better than points on your license and your insurance co being notified.

was amazed at the amount of older people on my course.

guarantee you'll get a "joker, know it all", a young Lorraine Chase, a Ukranian lorry driver who can't understand a word that's being said & an old boy who remembers the roads when it was mainly horses & carts.

the atmosphere in the canteen beforehand was chronic, nobody said a word.

enjoy!
  • Options
    Sounds entertaining! Better than my insurance shooting up to 2000 pound tho!
  • Options
    I think there was a thread about this before. The cost depends on what area you do the course. I got done in North Wales but did the course in Dartford, it cost over £100 and you had to go out with a driving instructor to be tested after the classroom bit. Be prepared to be talked to like you are a child, be accused of driving whilst talking on a phone and not paying attention to bikes! Then make sure you don't get caught for another three years, because you're not allowed to do the course again till then.
  • Options
    Did the course last year in East Sussex. No trip out with the instructor, just a morning in the classroom.

As a driver for nearly 30 years it was a good refresher. I do think my driving has improved as a result. Significantly better than the points and increased insurance costs, especially for younger drivers.
  • Options
    Just say....
  • Options
    The course I went on was pretty good and they didn't let anyone get away with any bravado or nonsense. I left at the end of it feeling like I'd learned something about driving and speed.
    It's a much better option than 3 points IMHO.
  • Options
    No points for years (even though I drive around 40k miles a year). Did a course in November £85, just for the morning, no driving involved. Found it useful but obviously didn't take enough notice as just got done again. Unfortunately can't do the course again as Dorset police won't accept you if you've done another course within the last twelve months. I was told I could possibly get a different course that costs £155 that involves some driving.

This sounds to me just a money making scheme.

Does anyone know if 3pts make much difference to your premium if you have had a clean licence for over five years?
  • Options
    I think 3 points don't make much of a difference to the premium, but you do have to declare them for 5 years, even though they can be removed from your licence after 3.
  • Options
    The Doc went on one last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have been driving for twenty years and have had one speeding fine (56 in a 50). In that time I've driven anywhere between 5000 and 30000 miles a year. The reason I've been able to avoid speeding fines is that I don't drive at high speed.

HTH.
  • Options
    I have been driving for twenty years and have had one speeding fine (56 in a 50). In that time I've driven anywhere between 5000 and 30000 miles a year. The reason I've been able to avoid speeding fines is that I don't drive at high speed.

HTH.
    Is that how you do it? :-)

Interestingly one on the things on the course is how to keep awareness of the speed and how to keep under it. There were many on my course that said they'd not realised that they'd 'crept' above 30 on a long, wide road.
  • Options
    The most interesting thing I took out of my speed awareness course was the concept of leaving for your normal journeys earlier in adverse weather conditions. For example if you know it takes you 40 minutes to drive to work in the morning on a normal day if it's chucking it down do you leave say 60 minutes for your journey due to greater risks on the road or do you leave at the time you usually would and inadvertently take greater risks?
  • Options
    Just hoping to be offered it as the letter says I am eligible for one.
  • Options

HTH.
    I have been driving for twenty five years and have had one speeding fine (101kph in a 70kph) In that time I've driven about 30000 miles a year. Most of the time over the unecessarily low speed limit and been able to spend a lot more time in the pub as a result.

TTFN

• Options

HTH.
    I have been driving for twenty five years and have had one speeding fine (101kph in a 70kph) In that time I've driven about 30000 miles a year. Most of the time over the unecessarily low speed limit and been able to spend a lot more time in the pub as a result.

TTFN

I have been driving over 30 years and have one speeding conviction, awarded for driving a little too fast on a wide clear road in perfect driving conditions by a camera in Warwickshire. Nobody will ever convince me that the speed limit on that stretch of road and the positioning of that camera (just after a dip in the road) was anything other than a means of generating income.
  • Options
    My Dad's bigger than your Dad.
  • Options
    I'm about to do one for driving back from Sheffield Wednesday too quickly - surely, you're allowed to go over the limit if you win at Sheff W? My last two speeding fines were in Thailand - one when I was falsely accused of speeding in heavy traffic and one when I was driving at about the speed limit. It's a much more efficient system in Thailand, you just bribe the policeman a fiver or tenner and it's all over.
  • Options
    I got done about 10 years ago, speeding on a motorway. Got a good lecture from police in their car - was told I was going fast enough for them to take me to court but they gave me the points instead as I seemed (and was) genuinely sorry. Did make me think and that in iteself has made me a better driver today. Those were the only points I have ever had on my license and I'm sure it will stay that way.
  • Options
    Me and a couple of mates used to due this on a regular basis in the late 70's. Is it still about £12 a gramme?