Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

For Gawd's sake cheer up!

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
We may lose or draw tomorrow's game against Stevenage.

And won't some of the doomsayers be delighted if we do - allowing them a whole evening of head-shaking told-you-so self-gratification.

I am not a mindless optimist and I am alive to the risk of cheerleading from an office at The Valley. But I do think some supporters need to get their heads out of their arses.

Stevenage are sixth on merit, and we are top on the same basis. By a wide margin.

Yes, the sky may fall in tomorrow, Powell may choose the wrong players and the ball might hit a beachball in front of Ben Hamer and be diverted in for a Stevenage winner. They might win by three, four or five goals.

We may go on a bad run and miss out on the automatic promotion places. Equally we may not.

Understandably people are nervous and want shot of this bloody awful division, but there is a big risk it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and the nervousness transmits itself to the players.

Sp please come to The Valley tomorrow and enjoy the atmosphere of a near-capacity crowd. So much better than half-empty midweek games. Enjoy the challenge of playing a team that have recently shown they can frustrate one of the best sides in the country (not a statement I like making about Spurs) - and then lost to Notts County next time out.

If we lose, don't boo and don't blame the manager, the crowd, the referee or the opposition for cheating, accept that these things happen and move on. We will still have an outstanding chance of promotion next week and next month, whatever happens against Stevenage, Chesterfield, Bournemouth, etc.

And for now just ponder the fact that if we win you'll feel great tomorrow night.

Comments

• Options
    Full of win!
  • Options
    Spot on - Miserable gits the lot of ya ;)
  • Options
    Bang on COYR!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I am alive to the risk of cheer-leading from an office at The Valley.
    That made me smile.

Otherwise spot on. The ying and yang of football is you might lose but you can also WIN.

Live, love, laugh and BE HAPPY
  • Options
    Chuck agrees

• Options
    As I said to the moaners the other day "it doesn't matter what you say , WE'RE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!"
  • Options
    Well said Airman, really looking forward to tomorrow with a packed Valley - COYR. Win, lose or draw, they'll always be my boys till the day I die
  • Options
    Well said.

Come on you reds !
  • Options
    Well said Airman - great job on promoting and selling the tickets as always. I'm thoroughly looking forward to it and far more so than if it weren't a £5 big crowd day. Lets hope i'm feeling double smug tomorrow, having predicted a 4-0 win. If we were playing a bottom side i'd actually be strangely less optimistic.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Any chance we can have a huge flag of Eric Joyce quickly put together for tomorrow's game? What a legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wise words Airman.
  • Options

Come on now. Lets be honest. The Stevenage game was picked for the £5 ticket promotion because it looked like a non-event game against non-glamorous opposition.

These promotions can be the kiss of death on our performances and now Stevenage are 6th, beat us at theirs, performed well against Spurs and are all set to spoil our party.

I admire the concept of cheap tickets and big crowds and have supported them in the past but this is really bad timing and puts extra pressure on the players.

Win, lose or draw it would be a darn sight easier without the distraction of a ticket promotion.
  • Options

Come on now. Lets be honest. The Stevenage game was picked for the £5 ticket promotion because it looked like a non-event game against non-glamorous opposition.

These promotions can be the kiss of death on our performances and now Stevenage are 6th, beat us at theirs, performed well against Spurs and are all set to spoil our party.

I admire the concept of cheap tickets and big crowds and have supported them in the past but this is really bad timing and puts extra pressure on the players.

Win, lose or draw it would be a darn sight easier without the distraction of a ticket promotion.

they got beat the other night - so confidence will have taken a knock! at least we got a draw :)
  • Options
    Living up to the name there Grumps...
  • Options
    don't agree with that Grumpy - i think it will fire the players up even more - they deliver in the big games - it's the low key one's we're struggling in. We have a different team to the one that produced the Exeter debacle.
  • Options

Disagree. They are professional footballers and need to be able to focus in all manner of situations and pressured environments.

Look at the millwall atrocities....we need a squad of mentally strong players up for it no matter what not a bunch of bottlers who need the right conditions to get a result.

If playing in front of 20k is an issue that will be detrimental for these players then there is absolutely no point in getting promoted to the Championship and we might as well all pack up, go home and get used to the idea of playing in a shite league in front of cosy crowds of 10k then 8k then....etc.

They are paid and trained to perform. Grab ur bollox time lads get out there with a roaring Valley behind you and do the business.
  • Options
    C'mon you Reds ... can't wait for tomorrow ... good words Airman
  • Options
    Take the point about needing to perform well in big games and the improved atmosphere maybe inspiring some players.

Overall, I still think this offers an advantage to the opposition not us and previous performances support this.

Cheap tickets won't make the game any more important if it just increases the number of tourists looking for a 5-0 home win.

• Options
    Well, if I can't blame the ref I'm not going. Otherwise in full support, looking forward to seeing the ground full again and hopefully plenty of positive noise.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The players will up for this one based on the fact it is against 1 of the 2 teams we have lost to. There will be revenge in the air tomorrow at The Valley...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well said Airman , having heard JJ & Wiggy speak last night , my confidence has returned and it will be business as usual 2-0 Charlton.
  • Options
    Boo to the doomsters!

Great post Airman and thanks to you and all concerned for the massive efforts you've put in to shift that amount of tickets for what is, at the end of the day, a Div 3 match against Stevenage of all people. Many clubs couldn't have shifted that many if they were free.

• Options
    That's the type of motivational speech that Ed Milliband could do with. COYR
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Great moan Airman ;o)

Agree with every word! If we do lose I will be pissed off though! Sorry.

And I cant think of many clubs that could boast 25-26k in the 3rd Division (irrespective of discounted promotions), well done to you and all the staff that have helped to make this happen, the atmosphere starts with your lot doing the business and selling the tickets.

Its up to us now I guess.

Cheers
  • Options
    C'MON YOU RED BOYS!

We are still top, and will still win the league.

• Options
    Nothing like a good old rallying call on a Friday!
  • Options
    Well said Airman - great job on promoting and selling the tickets as always. I'm thoroughly looking forward to it and far more so than if it weren't a £5 big crowd day. Lets hope i'm feeling double smug tomorrow, having predicted a 4-0 win. If we were playing a bottom side i'd actually be strangely less optimistic.
    sort of,
    we go 1-0 down, then BWP hatrick and 1 for kermy.

• Options
    With you Airman; we want all the new faces to come back again and again!
  • Options
    Full of win!
    Full of something.

I blame the fans.
  • Options
    What @Redarmyse7 said