Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Today's Remembrance Day

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
Those not there today and some who were* may not have known it was the annual day to remember charlton fans who had passed on. As ever it was well respected by all fans (Stevenage fans are also included).

*My mother in law was very confused, I had to explain that there had not been some mass accident during the previous week - bless her

Comments

• Options
    I love this day a fantastic idea and a great tribute. I didn't put my nans name forward as she wasn't a Charlton fan but had a few tears in my eyes whilst I remembered her.
  • Options
    Yep good of the club to do this , i'm pleased the team one , that ones for you dad!
  • Options
    Yep good of the club to do this , i'm pleased the team one , that ones for you dad!
    My Dad's name was up there too so know just what you mean.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    yep i saw that Henry , its a very good tradition to have, i must confess when it happened a few years ago , my old bosses name came up , when he walked in at my workplace , and i said to him .. Albert i thought you were dead ... his name came up again today.... ?
  • Options
    My Dad's name was up there too so know just what you mean.

Sorry to hear that, Henry. I can tell you the applause sounded great on the radio.

Thankfully most years most of us don't have anyone in particular to remember but it's a good initiative.
  • Options
    *My mother in law was very confused, I had to explain that there had not been some mass accident during the previous week
    Did she pay a fiver? :) only joking...

Great tradition, and i always put an arm round my old man remembering his dad (my grandad) at this time. Charlton played their hearts out for em today.
  • Options
    Wonderfull gesture by our club, really shows that we area a family.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Lest people forget this was I believe the brainchild of our 'Henners' and as I have posted before it gave me great comfort to see my 75 year supporting father's name on the big screen some 3 years ago. Condolences to all those whose loved ones' names appeared today, my thoughts are with you all.
  • Options
    Fantastic once again from our brilliant club. My Nan and Grandad's name were up on there and that win today was for them! As the names came up, I did share a tear but the game itself, especially the second half, was for them. The love I have for this club...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I saw the name today of my ex neighbour and friend Peter Warnett who passed away last year in a hospice. I lost touch with him when I moved away from Sidcup to East London around five years ago.

Peter was an Addick who travelled both home and away and was also a regular at Kent CCC and when I used to go to Canterbury quite often I'd cadge a lift off him.

A lovely man who when he had health problems that restricted him working then kept busy by doing voluntary driving for the elderly RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw the name today of my ex neighbour and friend Peter Warnett who passed away last year in a hospice. I lost touch with him when I moved away from Sidcup to East London around five years ago.

Peter was an Addick who travelled both home and away and was also a regular at Kent CCC and when I used to go to Canterbury quite often I'd cadge a lift off him.

A lovely man who when he had health problem that restricted him working then kept busy by doing voluntary driving for the elderly RIP
    RIP Peter
  • Options
    My next door neighbour was listed, as was an uncle of my wife.

Always find the whole thing special and poignant, yet surprisingly warming.

Love my club.
  • Options

Love my club.
    Without getting too deep (if that's possible) is it because we can see our own names up there one day ?
  • Options
    You raise an interesting question

Either way, a lovely thing to do
  • Options

Love my club.
    Without getting too deep (if that's possible) is it because we can see our own names up there one day ?
    Now that will be special, if I manage to see my own name up there ! :-)
    I was suffering with man flu yesterday & was half expecting to see it :-)
  • Options
    It was a very special minute and well observed by all..............however person next to me just sat there not clapping and I dont think had any intention of joining in....it was such a pity that he couldnt join in when the opposition players, officials and Stevenage fans all observed it........ignorant sod!
  • Options
    Really special. My Dad died before we started doing this but I always think of him when the names are shown and the clapping is going on.

Thank you Henry for the work you did to get this off the ground and very sorry to learn of your loss.
  • Options
    My dad will never applaud red midland as he believes a minutes silence is more poignant for him, so it may just be that the person next to you has his own way of remembering. Either way such a lovely feature of our club :)
  • Options
    It was a very special minute and well observed by all..............however person next to me just sat there not clapping and I dont think had any intention of joining in....it was such a pity that he couldnt join in when the opposition players, officials and Stevenage fans all observed it........ignorant sod!
    Could just be one of those that prefers a silence Red? If not, what a douche. I personally prefer the silence but it wouldnt stop me clapping.

A great thing to do by the club.
  • Options
    The name I suggested came up, even though it was very short notice - an emotional moment for me and thanks to Airman for putting it up there.