Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So just how many Charlton fans are there?

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
Yesterday, 25,000+ were in home areas of the stadium - and they weren't Premiership gloryhunters. Then there were those of us who couldn't get there. So what do we reckon our total support is - I mean people who say Charlton is their team when asked, not their second or third choice. 30,000? 40,000? 50,000? I suppose the total number of Red cardholders would be a guide - is that info Ariman is able to share?

Comments

• Options
    id say about 40k
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    1998 is some years back I'll admit but you got a fair idea from the Wembley play off final.
  • Options
    Wouldnt be much of an indication i dont think? Few of my mates have got red cards for Charlton but they support the likes of arsenal, spurs, united

Personally couldnt give a toss about having huge global fanbase. Its the people who go ti games that matter. Would love to fill a 40k seater valley in the prem
  • Options
    1988 is some years back I'll admit but you got a fair idea from the Wembley play off final.
    Not quite sure they were all CAFC through and through - on the day, yes, but we had two Spurs and a Newcastle with us for example!

• Options
    No idea on the figure but i've met people in the US and Canada who've moved from SE London and still follow Charlton.
    The club really have to look into the pricing structure of tickets. 25,000 to watch Stevanage in the 3rd division is incredible BUT it was down to the price of a ticket. Would they all come if it was 10 or 12 quid? I think a lot of them would.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    No idea on the figure but i've met people in the US and Canada who've moved from SE London and still follow Charlton.
    The club really have to look into the pricing structure of tickets. 25,000 to watch Stevanage in the 3rd division is incredible BUT it was down to the price of a ticket. Would they all come if it was 10 or 12 quid? I think a lot of them would.
    They may come but they wouldn't come every match, because not everyone is able or wants to do that. You would also have to reduce season-ticket prices and therefore revenue because it costs an average £16.30 in the dear seats and £12 per game in the north stand at the moment.

Or put it another way, the people who would come every game at £12 a head already can.

Season-ticket income is more important to the club than match-ticket income and more reliable because it is locked in a year at a time and in advance. Matchday promotions have to be structured to respect the commitment made by season-ticket holders and retain their goodwill.

You also need to consider that the promotions become an event of themselves, which further increases their attractiveness and take-up. Even if we could charge £5 every game, we wouldn't get 20,000 on a regular basis in this division IMO.

Look at the large number of season-ticket holders who do not attend midweek games despite the fact they have already paid and the marginal ticket cost to them is zero.

I don't disagree that £25 is a lot to ask an uncommitted person or a firm supporter on the minimum wage (never mind benefits) to pay, but £18 is more affordable yet most people who do attend still choose to pay £25.

• Options
    Any chance you could give a view on the original Q, Airman? Cheers.
  • Options
    Millions
  • Options
  • Options
    Maybe people turn up who wouldn't class Charlton as their first team, but there must be loads who never turn up at all - or very rarely who would.

For example, in my family my mum and sister would both say they were Charlton fans if asked but they have probably only ever been to four or five games between them.

My sister was watching the Sunderland Play Off Final game in a pub and ended up convincing the whole pub to support us for the day. Doesn't go to home games though, so would she count?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1988 is some years back I'll admit but you got a fair idea from the Wembley play off final.
  • Options
    Less than 50k more than 30k worldwide. Add another ten if we were to stay in the top flight for 5+years.

• Options
    More than Millwall and Palace.
  • Options
    Is that put together?

• Options
    It a proud fact that 25,000 home support turned up yesterday. You have to put that in context yes it was a £5. There's a lot of clubs including in Championship could not get 25,000 if it was free.

• Options
    Didnt Millwall have 44,000 'fans' at Wembley for the Play-off final
  • Options
    It a proud fact that 25,000 home support turned up yesterday. You have to put that in context yes it was a £5. There's a lot of clubs including in Championship could not get 25,000 if it was free.

Because their grounds dont hold that many?
  • Options
    all of them +1 (me)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Didnt Millwall have 44,000 'fans' at Wembley for the Play-off final
    I know loads of wetspam and chavski supporters that went to that, Millwall have a massive fairweather following; I remember when they played in the final of the mickey mouse trophy the amount of Millwall flags that emerged everywhere in SE London was unreal then the amount disappeared quicker than the full time whistle. I also remember the promotion at the 'New Den' where they were giving away tickets to all local schools and nurseries and everyone else was a pound, they still were half empty!

Charlton have a huge 'non-attenting' fan base I think.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Yesterday, 25,000+ were in home areas of the stadium - and they weren't Premiership gloryhunters. Then there were those of us who couldn't get there. So what do we reckon our total support is - I mean people who say Charlton is their team when asked, not their second or third choice. 30,000? 40,000? 50,000? I suppose the total number of Red cardholders would be a guide - is that info Ariman is able to share?
    I reckon 100,000-120,000 based on your criteria, maybe slightly more. For every person there yesterday, I reckon you'd find another 3 or 4 who would say they support Charlton, even if they're too old/young/poor/busy/far away to attend matches. My old Grandad probably didn't go to a match for the last 30-40 years of his life, but he was still very clued up on who was in the team and playing well and always listened to commentaries on the radio.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    One crude estimate would be for everyone here to say how many Charlton fans they personally know, and of those, what percentage attend games regularly; and use this ratio to scale up our average attendance. For example, I know six Charton fans of which only three attend regularly (I live out in Tonbridge, Kent where most folk seem to 'support' the usual premier league suspects), so if our average attendance is 15,000 then this would make our total fanbase about 30,000 - (although my gut feeling is that it's somewhat more than this).
  • Options
    Well I live along way from Charlton on an Island and know of approx 30 Charlton fans here and sure must be some more out of the 125,000 that live here. I'm always getting told of the Charlton fan who lives here, works there, met out there etc etc. Also all my family and extended family would state Charlton as the team that they support, yet from this 50 or so people only 4 or 5 ever attend a match. Move this scenario off of an Island that is a 100 miles from The Valley and this scenario must surely increase 10 fold ...... So on my calculations / guesstimates I bet the Charlton fan base is 250,000 plus worldwide.
  • Options
    would come to more games if I lived nearer the stadium and Would possibly buy a season ticket but because I live so far away It would not be worth purchasing a season ticket because I would only attend 4 or 5 games a season!
  • Options
    I'd say around 45 000.
  • Options
    Reckon there's at least 100,000 who think of Charlton as "their" team.
  • Options
    I think there are about 4-5 who 'follow' the club for every 1 that attend matches*. So probably somewhere in the region of 100k I reckon.

*based on absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    We should be swabbed for DNA at the next home game. Channel 4 can then do a documentory in 20 years time to solve this conundrum once and for all.
  • Options
    Reckon there's at least 100,000 who think of Charlton as "their" team.
    We are MASSIVE, lol.

What affects attendances more, league position or league? I.e if we were bottom third of the Champoinship or top third of Div One, which would bring in the highest crowds?
  • Options
    I remember walking down a road in a small Turksh town 20 years ago only to see two local guys in CAFC shirts.I recon there could be as many as 250000 worldwide.