Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My day out with the real Leroy Ambrose

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
My son works with Leroy Ambrose, myself and two of my sons were his guests in Crossbars on Saturday. Thoroughly top bloke that kept me amused with his stories of his three seasons at Charlton, which brought back many memories for me. In his three seasons, he actually played under three different managers, Nelson, Bailey and Mullery. There was one particular story that he told me that hopefully he wont mind me sharing with you.

Leroy was a youngster in the early eighties and of course Derek Hales was top dog at the club at the time. This particular day the first team were training at the Valley and doing circuits of the pitch. Hales was not training that day and was sitting in the stand watching, wearing his trademark sheepskin coat. As Leroy passed, Hales shouted to him ''oi Leroy, see them pigeons in the centre circle, I want you to throw a couple of stones at them''. Now with Leroy being one of the younger ones and Halesy someone you didn't cross, he proceeded to throw a couple of stones at the pigeons. As the pigeons began to fly, Hales did no more that pull a shotgun from his sheepskin and start to shoot the birds. A very flustered Alan Mullery came racing over to get Halesy to stop. I very much doubt you'd see something like that at training now! Made me chuckle.

So what with a full house, a cracking result and great company, I had a brilliant day out Saturday.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2012
    LOL but you can't leave it in mid air like that Essex_Al did Halesy shoot them down or not?
  • Options
    Man-love. My first hero in a Charlton shirt. Did you tell him he has a double on CL?
  • Options
    So that's why they serve pigeon pie in Crossbars! ;-0
  • Options
    LOL - a great laugh to start the day! Don't be sure it wouldn't happen today though with Super Mario at Man City around.

And good job for Mike Flanagan the pigeons were around!

Does anybody know if Derek Hales really is writing a biography? Stories like this will make it a very entertaining read!
  • Options
    Went to Greece with Leroy a few years back, top feller. Turns into a bit of a @WSS esque pest after a few beers!

He can still play a bit too.
  • Options
    Man-love. My first hero in a Charlton shirt. Did you tell him he has a double on CL?
    Of course I did Leroy, he was well impressed!
  • Options
    LOL but you can't leave it in mid air like that Essex_Al did Halesy shoot them down or not?
    Ha, ha, do you know what, I don't think he told me, he was laughing at how flustered Mullery was.
  • Options
    Went to Greece with Leroy a few years back, top feller. Turns into a bit of a @WSS esque pest after a few beers!

He can still play a bit too.
    51 now and not an ounce of fat on him, he still turns out for the vets. Mind you he is a fitness instructor by day.
  • Options
    Met Leroy a few times as he used to ref my works team at Southwark Park. He came out on the piss with us one night to what was the "Copper" on Tower Bridge Road. Funny enough he told me that story about Killer too. Thoroughly top bloke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Which leads to the question to our Leroy...have you ever met the original Leroy....I guess you probably have at some point?
  • Options
    I met Leroy at Margate when he was playing with Sittingbourne.

He was chuffed to meet someone that remembered him playing for Charlton and chatted for quite a while.
  • Options
    There's only two Leroy Ambrose's!
  • Options
    is Darren his younger brother?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    is Darren his younger brother?
    Not unless there was a bit of a mix up in the delivery room!
  • Options
    I was always under the impression, that was why he was actually called "Killer".
  • Options
    Played against Leroy for a few years, I was at Farnborough and he was playing for Goldsmith's, early 2000's, both very good sides, 2 way race for the Orpington and Bromley senior league for a couple of years. He was very tidy on the ball and still a decent player.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Hi stop shouting. i played for my works team at southwark park too. I played for pret. wow never realised that was leroy ambrose!

• Options
    Hi supaclive, did 'H', Herbie Smith ever ref you? What a character he was. Stories galore from when he played at Luton and Barnet. He used to bollock me about my running off the ball even though he was reffing!
  • Options
    Hi supaclive, did 'H', Herbie Smith ever ref you? What a character he was. Stories galore from when he played at Luton and Barnet. He used to bollock me about my running mincing off the ball even though he was reffing!
    Have fixed it for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is Leroy Ambrose short & black and is now a referee?
  • Options
    No, I'm average height, white (well, 'olive' would be more like it) and work in IT
  • Options
    No, I'm average height, white (well, 'olive' would be more like it) and work in IT
    What about the one who could play football?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    We don't mind calling you Olive, love.
  • Options
    We don't mind calling you Olive, love.
    Especially when he's on the buses :-)
  • Options
    Green or black olive?
  • Options
    Nice story fella
  • Options