Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chicago - any one been and give any pointers

2»

Comments

• Options
    Can get very cold in the fall.
    All the museums are terrific, especially looking at the native american culture.
    All the bands are great with the Chicago blues sound that Clapton 'nicked' a speciality.
    The folk scene used to be worth checking out but I lived there 15 years ago.
    Oak Park is cool.
    The El is a good way to travel but check if it is now safe at night.
    The local evening paper is superb for listings but can't recall its name.
    Veggie store in Oak park is like Veggie heaven with about 50 real ales from all over the world, including Greene King.
    White Sox were my team.
    Very hard to get basketball tickets.
    Note the big stores do their sales before the season starts which is weiard to us Brits.
    Wimmin will love your accent and wonder why you have crooked teeth.
  • Options
    We went there one NYE had a cracking time, was freezing cold - remember going to a bar at the spot where Al Capone was shot, having an amazing Mexican meal and really just enjoying a great city with plenty of history. Will deffo go back one day.....
  • Options
    Looking to go to Chicago in Late Oct/early November --would appreciate any thoughts -- hotels and what to do.
    1. Go up the Hancock Tower at dusk, on something like 95th floor there's a bar - the entry price is a drink and prices are not cheap, but on a clear day the view is stunning, the mid-west is billiard table flat and you can see four States as well as out across Lake Michigan.

2. Hotels - book something either downtown or around the Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville area (north of the downtown area) - there it's safer. Downtown the hotels are pricey - especially when there are conventions on but are well located for shopping, dining etc.

3. Art Institute of Chicago is worth a visit if you like art, besides a permanent display of stuff from Hopper (I think including the classic "Nighthawks") and French impressionists they always seem to have exhibitions. The AIC is in the Museum Campus - the Field Museum is nearby as is Soldier Field.

4. Baseball - in October the season is over but I think Wrigley Park do tours most days and that's worth a visit, ignore Chicago Sox's ground - Comiskey Park (it has a corporate name which I can't remember off-hand) anyhow the stadium is a soulless concrete carbuncle, although I did once score a sky-box invite for a game against the Yankees so I should be a bit more grateful.

5. Blues music - avoid the big corporate venues like House of Blues and look around Clark, "Blue Chicago" is a favourite of mine. There are quite a few other smaller blues bars in that area.

6. A good cheap place to eat is the food court in the lower ground floor of the Water Tower Place- next to the Hancock Tower on Michigan. Also worth a evening is "Dick's Last Resort" a sort of antidote to McDonalds, the food is pretty ropey but that's not the point, there's always a live band on and deliberately obnoxious staff, paper napkin fights, beer in one litre bottles etc.

7. Getting about - besides taxis there is the CTA - Chicago Transit Authoity train which can take you from Rosemont in the suburbs near O'Hare downtown and around reasonably cheaply.

8. Safety - Chicago is a very segregated city, there are certain areas where you will be safe - downtown around Michigan Avenue, the business district before dusk (after working hours the place is deserted) the "Gold Coast" just up from Michigan Avenue and a few blocks either side, go too far and you will cross a demarcation zone which is easy to spot - the quality of housing and general ambience will take a noticeable dive. The gangs know which side to stay on and the local rule is that they won't get hassled by the police if they keep to their side of the city. Tourists are encouraged not to stray into these areas...

9. Shopping - the big Dept stores Marshall Fields on State and in the Water Tower Place, Bloomingdales (opposite the Hancock Tower) etc all have sales on from Friday to Sunday with racks of remaindered clothing which disappear on Monday, so do your shopping at the weekend.

Cheers for Info.
  • Options
    Looking to go to Chicago in Late Oct/early November --would appreciate any thoughts -- hotels and what to do.

4. Baseball - in October the season is over but I think Wrigley Park do tours most days and that's worth a visit, ignore Chicago Sox's ground - Comiskey Park (it has a corporate name which I can't remember off-hand) anyhow the stadium is a soulless concrete carbuncle, although I did once score a sky-box invite for a game against the Yankees so I should be a bit more grateful.
    went to see the white sox and what a waste of 20- odd bucks, bored out of my mind for the entire game and the white sox were absolutely smashed. Put me off baseball completely - give me cricket anyday.
  • Options
    Take one of the River Trips, looks for the one with a commentator/guide, they take about an hour and show you a different side of the city and give you all of the historical background.

You get on the boat at Navy Pier (bit of a shithole) and it costs about $20 but is money well spent.

At the Hancock tower don't get sucked into paying for the photo at the end, its about $25 and a complete rip off but they lure you in and make you feel obliged to pay. That's America though!

Chicago is a great city, my second favourite in America after NY.
  • Options
    What you waiting for @jdsd42? Get those tickets booked.