Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Swiping oyster card again when changing station?

edited February 2012 in Not Sports Related
I may sound like a complete idiot saying this but when using an oyster card do you need to swipe your card again when changing at a station? For example if I changed a Lewisham would I need to swipe the card again there or could I carry on without doing anything and swiping again only at my destination.

I have swiped my oyster at stations where I have changed before and it seems like they charged me for two separate journeys. I hope this dosent confuse and someone can help me out here.

Comments

• no you dont need to swipe when changing at lewisham
  • no you dont need to swipe when changing at lewisham
    Cheers mate.
  • Not when changing at Lewisham if you were just changing platforms but you would have to swipe it surely if you were getting a different mode of transport like a bus to the end of his journey? No?

chooo chooo.
  • Not when changing at Lewisham if you were just changing platforms but you would have to swipe it surely if you were getting a different mode of transport like a bus to the end of his journey? No?

chooo chooo.
    I think if you change at Lewisham to get on the DLR etc. then yes you have to swipe, but if you are getting a train from, for example, Petts Wood to Lewisham, then changing and getting a train onwards to Charlton, then no you don't need to swipe

• Well, it depends if you see the pink oyster validator pads...

I go Welling > New Cross > Whitechapel > Stepney Green/Mile End every day on my commute.

Swipe in on Oyster at Welling.
    Do nothing at New Cross when I change to London Overground.
    When I get off at Whitechapel, there are the pink validator pads which tell TFL that you've changed from Overground to Underground.
    Walk up the stairs at Whitechapel then get the district line either 1/2 stops depending on what site I need, then swipe out on the way out the tube station.

As far as I know, if there isnt a pink pad, you dont do anything. If there is, you touch it.

I asked three members of TFL staff when I first got my Oyster card and all three gave different answers, so I'm not even 100% convinced that what I've told you is correct :-)
  • You don't have to swipe even if you are changing from train to DLR. Well, you don't have to at Greenwich, anyway.
  • Tfl really should make this more clear, the info on their website isn't very helpful either
  • Well here is a very geeky site explaining how long you have at certain stations to change say at Lewisham from National Rail to DLR without getting charged extra.

http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/out-of-station-interchange-osi/

Loads of train spotter type info here for all !

• i always go by what i have to do at the main stations. for example at london bridge you come out of the underground you have to swipe to get out. then you have to swipe again to get into the overground main station. so always thought if taking different transport such as overground and underground then i swipe. dlr i would class as underground - at bank you can go from dlr to northan line without swiping. but going from dlr lewisham to main station lewisham you have to swipe out and then in again.

i dont think what i have said has helped. if anything its probably made it worse.
  • edited February 2012
    Well, it depends if you see the pink oyster validator pads...

I go Welling > New Cross > Whitechapel > Stepney Green/Mile End every day on my commute.

Swipe in on Oyster at Welling.
    Do nothing at New Cross when I change to London Overground.
    When I get off at Whitechapel, there are the pink validator pads which tell TFL that you've changed from Overground to Underground.
    Walk up the stairs at Whitechapel then get the district line either 1/2 stops depending on what site I need, then swipe out on the way out the tube station.

As far as I know, if there isnt a pink pad, you dont do anything. If there is, you touch it.

I asked three members of TFL staff when I first got my Oyster card and all three gave different answers, so I'm not even 100% convinced that what I've told you is correct :-)
    They are for showing you journey avoids Zone 1

http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/route-validators-pink-readers/

I go from Sidcup - New Cross - Whitechapel - Just tap in and out at each end. No issue.

You are right to use them though as you may get charge for Zone 1 as they won't know where you got the tube from.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not far from Shoreditch and thought the new overground from New Cross would suit me but it is almost as South Eastern and TFL have conspired to make it impossible to do this if you are on the Bexleyheath line early in the morning. Every possible connections just misses out.
  • Yep a 15 minute wait for every Overground train on the New Cross bit. Bit of a pain with 2 out of every 3 Sidcup trains as well.
  • Yep a 15 minute wait for every Overground train on the New Cross bit. Bit of a pain with 2 out of every 3 Sidcup trains as well.
    The 07:39 Welling to Cannon St gets to New Cross at 8am. The London Overground train leaves New Cross dead on 08.06am. Thats about as a good a connection as you can get. The two Cannon St trains either side of that you end up waiting ages.

• I'm not far from Shoreditch and thought the new overground from New Cross would suit me but it is almost as South Eastern and TFL have conspired to make it impossible to do this if you are on the Bexleyheath line early in the morning. Every possible connections just misses out.
    I get the 8.11 from Blackheath. If the train is delayed by a minute, I miss the overground and have to wait 15 minutes.
  • Don't Fear the Reaper .. The Pink Oyster Swipers
  • I sometimes swipe the pink one at whitechapel and sometimes I don't. I've yet to notice any difference on the cost/
  • No good if you need to be at your desk by 6.45am.
  • I sometimes swipe the pink one at whitechapel /
    Is that a euphamism for something?
  • No good if you need to be at your desk by 6.45am.
    What about Browns by eight?
  • I sometimes swipe the pink one at whitechapel and sometimes I don't. I've yet to notice any difference on the cost/
    Depends where you go from Whitechapel. If you go east it shows you haven't gone via Zone 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Trainspotters alert....
    Depends where you go from Whitechapel. If you go east it shows you haven't gone via Zone 1.
    I do go east, but the very fact that I swipe out at South Woodford proves that.

I do go east, but the very fact that I swipe out at South Woodford proves that.

but you could have gone via zone 1 and be charged for it if you don't use the pink reader at Whitechapel