Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Davy Jones

2»

Comments

• Options
    Rip Davy, loved the monkees, first real created pop band apart from the archies,
    The Archies were after the Monkees and were created as a direct consequence of the Monkees rebelling against the exec who 'created' them. The Archies were Monkees MkII and used only session musicians to prevent any possibility of revolt.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Saddened by this news. Grew up in the mid eighties with the repeats of their show. A Saturday morning staple in our house. A great band and not always given the credit they deserve. Tried to get tickets for the 45th anniversary concert they did at the RAH last May but failed. I will always be a daydream believer. RIP Davy.
  • Options
    RIP Davy - like many on here he was part of my childhood.

They did sing some great songs, but they didn't write them.
  • Options
    The Monkees, and Davy Jones in particular, somehow symbolised a more innocent less cynical time and the Saturday night show was staple viewing for teenagers in the sixties and everybody had their "favourite" Monkee.

RIP
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    And now he's rumoured to be taking over at Sheffield Wednesday!

Go on Davy!

Coat. Get. I'll. Me.
  • Options

Go on Davy!

Coat. Get. I'll. Me.
    From a mug to a stiff.

• Options
    Loved watching the show as a kid and always smile when their songs are played.

Always came across as a lovely fella. Didn't realise he'd played Killer's testimonial, although I remember being at the game.

Rest in Peace Davy
  • Options
    Was too old to be brought up with them but the songs were always catchy and commercial and still good to hear. Remember him in 'Corrie', along with Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits). Also (unfortunately) old enough to remember Micky Dolenz as 'Circus Boy' in the mid '50s.
    RIP.
  • Options
    Sad to hear that he has died, and I enjoyed the TV show, but he was hardly the 'musical legend' that some are proclaiming!
  • Options
    Saw him performing in Florida once, still a good performer in his early 60s. Why do I never login and see an NDubz RIP thread?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad to hear that he has died, and I enjoyed the TV show, but he was hardly the 'musical legend' that some are proclaiming!
    At the time, the Monkees were outselling both the Beatles and the Stones - not too shabby!
  • Options
    At the time, the Monkees were outselling both the Beatles and the Stones - not too shabby!
    And when you see who wrote some of their hits (Carole King, Gerry Goffin & Neil Diamond to name but three) you realise why they were such massive hits. The Monkees also did write most of their later songs (admittedly less successful) such as "Mary Mary" and "Listen To The Band".

Their hits have stood the test of time as evidenced by "Daydream Believer" still being sung at football grounds.

None of this makes them legends but it was more the catchy songs allied to the zany TV programme that won them so many fans at the time and leaves good memories for so many of us now.

• Options
    I was born in '48 but still enjoyed all forms of music except this present stuff. The Monkees were more talented than people gave them credit for. Davy will be missed by many.
  • Options
    Loved watching the show when young and still sing along to the songs when I hear them on the radio (or wireless for those older than me).
  • Options
    The monkeys and banana splits on a Saturday morning, with an episode or two of champion the wonder horse and marine boy thrown in. Happy days. RIP Davy Jones.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
  • Options
    RIP. Part of my childhood.
    Same here ... very sad news ... RIP

• Options

Go on Davy!

Coat. Get. I'll. Me.
    Timing is everything.

• Options
    quite apt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RPQEap-8Vk&feature=related
    Love this song ... great memories

• Options
    RIP - The Monkees might have been a manufactured band - and there is nothing new in that but they never took themselves seriously.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it's sad someone you have know in your youth and admired dies but it brings home the point we are all getting that much older, RIP Davy
  • Options
    Nesmith's mum invented liquid paper, apparantly, which is why he wasnt keen on touring much after he inherited.
  • Options
    it's sad someone you have know in your youth and admired dies but it brings home the point we are all getting that much older, RIP Davy
    Exactly cv.....

liked The Monkees, grew up with them and Davy was the centrepiece.

Was amazed at 15/16 that a real star was at Derek Hales' testimonial.

There hasn't been so much an outpouring of grief, rather more like happy thoughts and a celebration of what Davy Jones and The Monkees brought to us... and that's nice.