Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hosepipe ban to be imposed in drought-hit parts of UK

Comments

• Options
    Why is this always such massive news? I think people just like to say the words Hosepipe Ban.

Couldn't care less. Makes so little difference to a person's life. I don't get it.
  • Options
    Hopefully CP will give his view on this tomorrow at Bromley Addicks
  • Options
    Why is this always such massive news? I think people just like to say the words Hosepipe Ban.

Couldn't care less. Makes so little difference to a person's life. I don't get it.
    Apart from the fact food crop prices will rise ( if you like a nice portion of chips don't moan about the price) last time we had a hosepipe ban we lost 5% of turnover and had to lay staff off, apart from that it's fine ;-0

• Options
    Ban crack-whores.
  • Options
    Ban crack-whores.
  • Options
    Water shortage ?????? Oh no !!!! that's terrible news as i'm going to have to drink it neat now
  • Options

Apart from the fact food crop prices will rise ( if you like a nice portion of chips don't moan about the price) last time we had a hosepipe ban we lost 5% of turnover and had to lay staff off, apart from that it's fine ;-0

Fair enough. Not that that kind of thing is ever mentioned in the media coverage.

Surely food crop prices will only rise in the area effected. I'm not sure how much of my food comes from Kent, as much as I'd like it to. A very small percentage I'd imagine.
  • Options
    Save water - dilute it.
  • Options
    ban tarmac drives
  • Options
    Boo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perhaps they will cut back on the sprinklers at The Valley, the way the players keep slipping over, that will be no bad thing!
  • Options
    Did I read somewhere it takes 1 million gallons of water in the production of just one car?

That's all right, then - we don't have a car manufacturing industry anymore.
    Eh? Nearly 500,000 cars produced in one factory alone (Nissan, Sunderland)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    We're overpopulated. What do you expect ?
  • Options
    We're overpopulated. What do you expect ?
    Eat more children?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Has a reservoir ever been concreted over?

Which is cheaper?
    a. Building a series of reservoirs on farmland just in case of a one in 50 year circumstance such as the past two dry winters have created

or

b. A VERY MINOR inconvenience of a hosepipe ban?

Some of you need to get a grip. (Spain doesnt have a hosepipe ban - really? Nonsense. Britain doesnt make cars? Where do you get your facts, the Beano? Horse racing vs Golf courses - who uses more water? Desalinisation? Dear Lord)

Or a water butt so you can continue using water in a drought.

Or your very own crack-whore
  • Options

No, but it does prevent rain getting into the ground. Instead it sits on the surface and evaporates.

• Options

Which is cheaper?
    a. Building a series of reservoirs on farmland just in case of a one in 50 year circumstance such as the past two dry winters have created

or

b. A VERY MINOR inconvenience of a hosepipe ban?

Some of you need to get a grip. (Spain doesnt have a hosepipe ban - really? Nonsense. Britain doesnt make cars? Where do you get your facts, the Beano? Horse racing vs Golf courses - who uses more water? Desalinisation? Dear Lord)

Or a water butt so you can continue using water in a drought.

Or your very own crack-whore
    Never a truer word spoken. The people whinging about this are probably the same ones that moaned last year when we had the first two winters in a row with significant snowfall in Central London for about 5000 years and we hadn't spent ten million quid on snowploughs that would be mothballed every year due to lack of use. The same people who would have been moaning about having to pay thruppence ha'penny each on one tube journey a year to pay for those same snowploughs if we HAD bought them.
  • Options
    there wouldnt be a water shortage if all the water companies fixed the underground leaks !!
  • Options
    there wouldnt be a water shortage if all the water companies fixed the underground leaks !!
    Oh yeah, I'd forgotten how easy it is to solve the problem.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

No, but it does prevent rain getting into the ground. Instead it sits on the surface and evaporates.

Wow, so impermeable surfaces prevent water entering the ground water stock? Amazing!

Reservoir
    . Concrete. Over. Has it ever happened?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two bad Winters in a row - first in 5000 years
    Two dry Summers in a row - first time for ages.

Probably not going to happen again for a while then, so no point in whinging.

This thread will be back in 12 months time, and almost annually thereafter.

Whether they ban the hosepipe or a scotch and water is not the point.

We are hosting the Olympics in 4 months with talk of legacy and sustainability and all that stuff - but we don't have enough water for the existing population ?

We are a "major western nation" sorting out the trouble-spots of Iraq/Afghan/ Libya etc - but we can't manage our water resources ?

We are spending £100k a week on Abu Quatada's security and human rights - what if we tell this illegal immigrant that we don't have any water for him to drink or wash with ?

Hope you see my point, admitting that we can't manage our natural resources makes us look third world.
  • Options
    Two bad Winters in a row - first in 5000 years

We are hosting the Olympics in 4 months with talk of legacy and sustainability and all that stuff - but we don't have enough water for the existing population ?

We are a "major western nation" sorting out the trouble-spots of Iraq/Afghan/ Libya etc - but we can't manage our water resources ?

Hope you see my point, admitting that we can't manage our natural resources makes us look third world.
    I'm not sure what you think Water Management is.
    Imposing a hosepipe ban IS a form of managing water supply!

Short of sterilizing every male in the country, there is only so much even a supreme being can do.
    Increasing population, very poor individual responsibility, massive reduction in rainfall in the SE - by imposing a ban on hosepipes (what is wrong with a bit of brown grass or a dirty car?) early we are securing supplies for the summer - more or less defiining management.

• Options
    We have more than enough water. It's just not in the right places. The solution is to get each of the privatised companies to spend billions of pounds linking in with each other to ensure it's in the right place.

Don't know about you but I won't be holding my breath waiting for the private sector to put the needs of society before profit.
  • Options
    We have more than enough water. It's just not in the right places. The solution is to get each of the privatised companies to spend billions of pounds linking in with each other to ensure it's in the right place.

Don't know about you but I won't be holding my breath waiting for the private sector to put the needs of society before profit.
    Not sure I want my water bill to run to a £billion!

Walking round the Welsh reservoirs the Victorians built to supply Birmingham can be an awesome experience.
    Still it was funded by the poverty of the masses, so maybe the current situation is better?
  • Options

Not sure I want my water bill to run to a £billion!

Walking round the Welsh reservoirs the Victorians built to supply Birmingham can be an awesome experience.
    Still it was funded by the poverty of the masses, so maybe the current situation is better?
    That'll be the masses that were using the water from the reservoirs !
    They were poor - but not thirsty.

As Bournemouth said, there is more than enough water to go around, and it was a mistake to sell it off. Hosepipe bans may well be a form of resource management - but a very poor effort.

Every drop of water that comes through your tap - you pay for.
    The same used water is then sent BACK to the supplier in one form or another - which you pay for.

This is where the mismanagement occurs.

For the record, I hardly ever use a hosepipe myself, but won't bother with any ban if I think i need to.
  • Options
    Just for discussion purposes...and serious questions
    Why was it a mistake to sell it off?
    Why is a hosepipe ban a poor effort? If it means we have water for more serious household needs this summer it seems to me to be a very good effort - except for the selfish few who will continue to use them despite the ban (and hopefully any 'up to £1000' fines will go to reduce my bill!)
    Why shouldnt you pay for your waste water to be taken away? Its got to be transported and treated. Who do you think should pay for it?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I don't have a meter, but people with water meters would surely be forgiven for thinking they can use as much water as they like since they're paying for it?
  • Options
    Just for discussion purposes...and serious questions
    Why is a hosepipe ban a poor effort? If it means we have water for more serious household needs this summer it seems to me to be a very good effort - except for the selfish few who will continue to use them despite the ban (and hopefully any 'up to £1000' fines will go to reduce my bill!)
    Why shouldnt you pay for your waste water to be taken away? Its got to be transported and treated. Who do you think should pay for it?
    Because it is a unique national essential, which the nation had invested in over 100's of years.

Why is a hosepipe ban a poor effort?
    Because it is reactive and not proactive.

(and hopefully any 'up to £1000' fines will go to reduce my bill!)
    Hardly anyone gets prosecuted and the fines go to the central Government coffers to be spent on bullets etc.

Why shouldnt you pay for your waste water to be taken away?
    I don't object at all - they get it back and retreat it and resupply me,(so we shouldn't run out if you think about it logically), as the water just keeps doing the rounds.
    Except it doesn't. Because the treated water is discharged into the sea or rivers near an estuary. This is the poor management part, they should pump it back to the reservoirs - but this is too expensive, hence profit comes before sound resource management.
  • Options
    I don't have a meter, but people with water meters would surely be forgiven for thinking they can use as much water as they like since they're paying for it?
    Well I have a meter (& a hosepipe) and don't feel that at all.

Are you OK with Roman Abramovitch running the taps day & night to create his own private reservoir, then? He'll be happy to pay of course...
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The whole point of the water companies is to make MASSIVE profit, principally for passive shareholders.

On this basis, the water companies are a resounding success.

Unlike other energy sources, the customer has no choice of company to buy his water from.

Despite the capital cost, perhaps ultimately what is needed is a national grid of water supply - if they can supply gas nationally, then they can supply water from where it is plentiful to other parts of the country where it is needed.

And at last the customer would have a choice of company to buy from.