Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Full backs taking corners?

edited March 2012 in General Charlton
Struggling to think of one full back we've had that took corners (maybe Jackson when he played LB), but I certainly can't remember BOTH full backs taking them in the same match.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    I think Phil Warman used to take some, but I may be making it up.
  • Options
    Paul Konchesky took quite a few.
  • Options
    Parky seemed to like full backs taking corners. Francis & Borrowdale took quite a few. Francis' were dismal, & Borrowdales' weren't much better either.
  • Options
    I think JH used to take them, as for Solly, the corner flag was taller.
  • Options
    Didn't JH stay on the halfway line covering centre forward?

• Options
    when i see solly taking it i said that says it all about our wingers , they haven't got a decent delivery in them
  • Options
    Opened the thread knowing it wouldn't take many posts for it to turn into a way to have a go at our wingers.
  • Options
    Opened the thread knowing it wouldn't take many posts for it to turn into a way to have a go at our wingers.
    do you rate their delivery tho for 'wingers'
  • Options
    F Richardson
  • Options
    when i see solly taking it i said that says it all about our wingers , they haven't got a decent delivery in them
    zzzZzZZZzz

Been a Charlton fan for 25 years. Heard people slagging off our wingers 'deliveries' for... erm... 25 years.

I think we'd have to sign David Beckham to change that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well Waggy's crossing is bloody awful and while Green is on the bench we're struggling for a decent crosser of a ball.

Couldn't careless who takes the corners, least of the worries.
  • Options
    thought the deliveries were excellent from Solly last night. He had another fantastic game last night

• Options
    No I don't rate their crossing but I don't rate Green as a better all round player than Wagstaff and DNG is only doing a job until Jackson is fit (and we still have Cook as an option).

Main thing is we win 4/5 more games and get out of this league. Not bothered if we do it with or without out and out wingers.
  • Options
    thought the deliveries were excellent from Solly last night. He had another fantastic game last night

Agree. Some great deliveries. Quite happy with this set up.
  • Options
    I remember Frazer Richardson and Gary Borrowdale taking the corners at the back end of 09/10 season.
  • Options

Agree. Some great deliveries. Quite happy with this set up.
    Thought Solly was delivering the best corners we've had all season. I'd quite happily keep him doing that even when JJ and Green are on the pitch.

• Options
    Solly's corners were very direct and effective last night . I would use him again to mix it up . Wiggins and Hollands are our only left footers when Jacko and Cook are not playing , so Rhoys gets to take the left footed corners .

The reason that our left backs have tended to take them up is until recently is because they were often the only left footed outfield player . Remember even Jacko was initially recruited as a loanee left back .
  • Options
    Solly's corners would certainly have been a surprise to the Yeovil team, as they would have had no idea what to expect! They all tended to be floated to the edge of the box, and were pretty dangerous, though I imagine they could get quite predictable.
  • Options
    boooooo
  • Options
    I recall Grant Basey taking a few - and quite accurately as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I recall Grant Basey taking a few - and quite accurately as well.
    Very true, set up Andy Gray's goal vs Swansea, first game of the dreadful 08/09 season.
  • Options
    Thought N'Guessan made a great cross yesterday about 6 minutes in
  • Options
    And, for the record, I don't think our wingers are particularly strong crossers either, but as last night showed, we scored two quality goals without having to cross it. One well rehearsed set piece and the other a nice move involving Wiggins and Kermie. If we don't have to rely on crossing and can score goals by passing through other sides that surely makes us a more dangerous side in general?
  • Options
    Parky seemed to like full backs taking corners. Francis & Borrowdale took quite a few. Francis' were dismal, & Borrowdales' weren't much better either.
    With the left back taking right-sided corners and the right back taking the corners from the left they couldn't have been pulled out of position any further!

I remember at least two occasions that season (once in the away leg of the play off v Swindon) when our corners were cleared & because of full backs being out of position we conceded!

Have to say we seem a lot more organised with the current side, and the delivery of corners last night was excellent.
  • Options
    The one thing I did find strange was for one of Solly's corners Cort was the defender left to defend rather than Wiggins . Surely we needed his height in the oppositions box.
  • Options
    All this talk about our wingers having poor delivery is tosh. Danny Green may not be in his best form but on his day he has one of the best crosses in the Football League.

What Wagstaff and Jackson may lack in crosses into the box they certainly make up for in goals and other general assists.

I get the impression that many Charlton fans expect a player in a certain position to do certain tasks one way and one way only. At the end of the day, if they contribute to us getting three points in their own way, then little else should matter.
  • Options
    Solly's corners were as good as any we've seen all season. Be quite happy for him to take more. Yann almost (and probably should have) scored for one while some-one (Cort?) got on the end of another
  • Options
    Butterfield in the play-off semi final.

I remember that because they were CRAP
  • Options
    Solly & Wiggins' efforts yesterday were decent, and don't forget the 2nd goal came from a well-delivered set-piece.

This season has surely been the best for ages in terms of corners & free-kicks, not just the Jacko/Kerms specials but plenty decent crosses etc.
  • Options
    Solly & Wiggins' efforts yesterday were decent, and don't forget the 2nd goal came from a well-delivered set-piece.

This season has surely been the best for ages in terms of corners & free-kicks, not just the Jacko/Kerms specials but plenty decent crosses etc.
    I agree.
    so many seasons we have had to put up with woefull corners that rarely beat the first man. this season with have a number of players who all seem to deliever a telling cross*

*as its called in the game