Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sacking Managers ?

edited March 2012 in General Charlton
Has anyone noticed that two of the bottom sides in the Premiership sacked their managers as the going got tough ? Whereas at Blackburn where Keane was close to being burnt at the stake on the pitch, and at Bolton where Coyle was with him at the bottom, are showing signs of survival. I wonder if some of those supposedly clever Directors might learn a lesson from this ? I doubt it, and the expression ' more money than sense ' seems appropriate.

Comments

• Options
    Funny that down here in L1 they tend to sack their managers when they're at the opposite end of the table.................
  • Options
    Steve Kean deserves manager of the year if he keeps them up IMO
  • Options
    I bet Wolves are kicking themselves.
  • Options
    Loving the picture of Terry Conner on bbc site this morning...................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/wolverhampton-wanderers
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Worthy of a caption competition.................... :-)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Loving the picture of Terry Conner on bbc site this morning...................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/wolverhampton-wanderers
    Think this is more appropriate.

• Options
    I think the only reason Kean is still there is because Venkys haven't got a pot to piss in and can't afford to sack him. He's their puppet - if he keeps them up, good for him - but the fans will still despise him. And doesn't Dave Whelan's faith in Martinez, alongside Sunderland's decision to get rid of Bruce and replace him with O'Neill render this moot? Agree though that the sacking of McCarthy was a stupid, knee-jerk act.
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed that two of the bottom sides in the Premiership sacked their managers as the going got tough ? Whereas at Blackburn where Keane was close to being burnt at the stake on the pitch, and at Bolton where Coyle was with him at the bottom, are showing signs of survival. I wonder if some of those supposedly clever Directors might learn a lesson from this ? I doubt it, and the expression ' more money than sense ' seems appropriate.
    I don't think it's quite as simple as saying the fate of Bolton/QPR/Wolves/Wigan means you should/shouldn't sack the manager. As Leroy suggests above, it's all about who you get in as a replacement. Sunderland swapping Bruce for O'Neill was obviously a massive increase in managerial ability. Had Wolves appointed Curbs, that too would've been an improvement. However, sacking Mick McCarthy and appointing Terry Connor was just a massive punt, one which doesn't look like it's going to work.

If you can get the right man in, it's definitely worth changing manager. If you're swapping managers for swappings sake then you end up in trouble.
  • Options
    The Terry Connor appointment just reminds me of Les Reed appointment.

QPR sacking Warnock hasn;t really worked well and look at their remaining fixtures:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/queens-park-rangers/fixtures

Have to play Liverpool/City/Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs/Swansea/Stoke not looking good for them
  • Options
    Oliver Holt believes the hounding of Terry Connor after just 4 games in charge is to due to the colour of his skin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oliver Holt believes the hounding of Terry Connor after just 4 games in charge is to due to the colour of his skin.
    Nothing to do with 1 point and conceding 14 goals in 4 games?

• Options

Makes you laugh doesn't it!
  • Options
    Is it cos me black?
  • Options
    I think the only reason Kean is still there is because Venkys haven't got a pot to piss in and can't afford to sack him. He's their puppet - if he keeps them up, good for him - but the fans will still despise him. And doesn't Dave Whelan's faith in Martinez, alongside Sunderland's decision to get rid of Bruce and replace him with O'Neill render this moot? Agree though that the sacking of McCarthy was a stupid, knee-jerk act.

If and when Kean does keep blackburn up ...he should resign and walk away with his head held high --I admire the man and congratulate him for getting on with HIS JOB.

• Options

Makes you laugh doesn't it!
    should have kept Mccarthy --at least they would have had a chance

• Options

If and when Kean does keep blackburn up ...he should resign and walk away with his head held high --I admire the man and congratulate him for getting on with HIS JOB.

Just written a piece saying much the same for a football blog website. Think Kean has reacted with great dignity through it all, and whilst he may not be the best Manager in the world, keeping them up would be a result for football in general.