Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace, Millwall, West Ham, Gillingham club's and fans - Whether you like them or not

edited March 2012 in General Charlton
You still got to admire them as football supporters when they attend games, support them passionatly, buy football shirts and a good banter between these loyal supporters.

I know this is going to sound funny for me to say this but I would rather walk in a local highstreet and see a group of teenagers wearing a Palace shirt than a Liverpool or Man Utd shirt. If I came accross a fan who claims to support any of the teams stated above then you know they are local and loyal supporters. A mate of mine who is a Palace fan shows his passion for his team and I actually admire him than I would do if I was talking to a mate of mine who is an armchair Man Utd fan.

What annoys me is that these plastic fans who claim to be a supporter still ask me, why Charlton? and I get comments like they are rubbish etc. The fact is I am as loyal as anything when it comes to Charlton and whenever I see Charlton fall to pieces like we have in recent years. I would like to see what Old Trafford could be like if Man Utd fell to League one, would we still see a group of teenagers in Man Utd shirts?

Comments

• Options
    well said mate...i bloody hate man u
  • Options
    Just had Mufti day (wear your own clothes) at school for sports relief and you had to wear a 'sports' shirt/top. I obviously wore my Charlton shirt with pride. The amount of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea etc was unreal. I had 5 people ask me what team it was and the rest of the plastic bastards just took the piss and asked why I supported Charlton.

The best response is to ask how many games they've actually seen their team play in the flesh and the highest answer I got back was 20 (Bar one hardcore Chelsea fan who's been a season ticket holder since he was 6).
  • Options
    well said mate...i bloody hate man u
    I don't hate Man Utd because I do sometimes enjoy watching them but it's these plastic fans which makes me want to see the likes of Man Utd fail. I am sure if we never had any plastic fans, the valley, the den, smellhurst park and even the priestfield stadium would get full attendence each week.
  • Options
    don't know. met a fair few west ham 'fans' who know nothing about football they just support them because they have some connection to east london however minor, (they once stopped at a service station on commercial road) or they have seen green street.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Only thing that's gets me annoyed about palace or some millwall fans is the constant ( up to this season and next ) is the ' what league are you in ' argument
  • Options
    Banter spotted at 8 o'clock!
  • Options
    Wished gillingham all the best in a deeply patronising way until they beat us in the cup a few years ago. Now I wish them much ill will. Don't really like west ham because the level of media attention they get doesn't match league position. Always thought millwall were our main rivals and disliked them intensely. The wife is from bermondsey and grew up just down the road from the old den. Fortunately she hates football and was never turned. My closest mate is palace and whilst we have been in league 1 and used a truce I fully expect full wind ups to commence should we gain promotion.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I supported Charlton because my Dad took me there and they were my local team . I now live in East London , had I lived here growing up I suspect I would have been an O's fan or Arsenal ,Spurs or West Ham. I therefore do not hate anyone who supports any club and agree I prefer real footie fans to plastics.

In terms of rivals I think a lot depends in which era you started supporting Charlton . I started in the 70's .This is how I have seen the clubs mentioned over the years .

Palace were never big rivals until we moved to Selhurst but since then I detest the club but not the fans .

I saw Millwall as our main rivals growing up but they fell off my radar during the Prem years , I even would go there as a neutral from time to time . Now the 4-0 needs avenging which I'm hoping SCP can do for us next season. I don't hate the genuine fans but do not like the machismo attached with that club.

West Ham were in the First Division until the late 70's and I remember hating the fact that most of my Sidcup based school friends supported them .The one highlight of 79/80 was beating them 1-0 complete with Trevor Brooking at the Valley which temporarilly gave me bragging rights . Since then I have felt we should see them as rivals but for some reason I never have . I enjoyed our 18 months at Upton Park and like the mutual respect the clubs seem to have . The fact we have an excellant record against them over the last 30 years probably helps as well.

The Gills were only in our Division occasionally and apart from Scally I always liked them . I have never seen them as rivals.
  • Options
    Unless you personally know someone, how can you dislike someone you've never met?
  • Options
    Richard J

10:13AM

West Ham were in the First Division until the late 70's and I remember hating the fact that most of my Sidcup based school friends supported them .The one highlight of 79/80 was beating them 1-0 complete with Trevor Brooking at the Valley which temporarilly gave me bragging rights . Since then I have felt we should see them as rivals but for some reason I never have . I enjoyed our 18 months at Upton Park and like the mutual respect the clubs seem to have . The fact we have an excellent record against them over the last 30 years probably helps as well.

------------

Richard do you remember who scored the winning goal against WHU in 79/80 ? I was in the old shed end (North) and can't quite remember who scored it, I am pretty sure it was a header at the South Stand End (Jimmy Seed stand) but can't remember who scored it.

It was a great victory in a tight game as WHU assumed that they would walk the game, having just been relegated from the Old League One (Premiership) and us having a poor season, we were relegated that year to the old division 3 and had a great season in 80/81 with promotion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vff - It was Steve Gritt who got his (then) perm on to a cross from the left. My first ever Charlton game.
  • Options
    I dislike them but in a different way I dislike armchair fans

I actively dislike West Ham and Millwall fans, whereas I just think armchairs are irrelevant and to be treated with contempt more than hated
  • Options
    Loath Millwall and everything about them I'm afraid....but I really do have very good reasons.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    VFF it was indeed the permed Steve Gritt .It was a game also remembered for Viggo Jacobsen's debut
  • Options
    vff - It was Steve Gritt who got his (then) perm on to a cross from the left. My first ever Charlton game.
    Thanks Joe. It was a hard fought victory. I was hoping for but didn't expect a win in that game. What a game and atmosphere for your first match. That 1-0 was easily the best result of a dismal season.

It was a dismal season that one - http://www.statto.com/football/teams/charlton-athletic/1979-1980. http://www.statto.com/football/teams/charlton-athletic/1979-1980/results

1980 - 81 was much better - http://www.statto.com/football/teams/charlton-athletic/1980-1981. Promotion from the old third division !

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/charlton-athletic/1980-1981/results

The double against Gillingham that season.
  • Options
    I have a soft spot for Gillingham as I've lived in their area for more years than I care to remember and used to know some of the players and their families. My dealings with Scally have even been positive!

I don't particularly like the other clubs mentioned for obvious reasons re Palace and Millwall and irritation at the media getting their knobs out unjustifiably re West Ham.

All that said I would far rather see those teams' shirts in London and Kent than Man U, Liverpool etc as also said by others above.
  • Options
    come on Len you forgot to mention the disrespect the whammers gave to Curbs , they didn't appreciate him at the time a bit like some of our clowns
  • Options
    come on Len you forgot to mention the disrespect the whammers gave to Curbs , they didn't appreciate him at the time a bit like some of our clowns
    Yep that too!
  • Options
    Unless you personally know someone, how can you dislike someone you've never met?
    I don't like Pol Pot but i've never met him.
    Loath Millwall and everything about them I'm afraid....but I really do have very good reasons.
    Same here and probably for the same reason.
  • Options
    Yeah. I hear that Hitler was much misunderstood.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've met Pol Pot and he's a knob.
  • Options
    I've met Pol Pot and he's a knob.
    Personally, I'd never trust anyone whose name is an anagram of Lop Top.