Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Crouch

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2012

Haven't seen the goal yet - but I do remember him being totally marked out of the game by Chris Perry.

LOL that was 5 years ago
    Don't rate him at all. Great goal but any player can score a one-off good goal.

Can't think of much else he has done this season. Don't know how he's played for the teams he has.
    If he finishes on 15 goals, thats got to be a decent return for a team like stoke.
  • Options
    Can't believe that Zamora is ahead of him for England..............then again, I can't believe Zamora is ahead of Heskey.
  • Options
    Can't believe that Zamora is ahead of him for England..............then again, I can't believe Zamora is ahead of Heskey.

I cant believe Heskey has ever won a England cap
  • Options
    Don't think he can either. ;-)
  • Options
    Don't think he can either. ;-)
    :) he reminds me of a modern day Kim Grant
  • Options
    He can't go as our "tall" player.

He is actually pretty awful in the air & using his head. He has said that himself. He said he prefers it to feet. He has good feet & control.

Problem is, he hasn't the frame or agility to be that nimble striker, nor does he have the heading ability & nous to lead the line. Carroll has been a huge disappointment this season BUT the vast majority of his flick ons go to space/person, he is adept at holding it up etc. Crouch isn't.
  • Options
    Shamefully nicked from a football website
    Crouch's goal - surely this is the equivalent of the 'monkey's, typewriters, Shakespeare' analogy. If an infinite number of Stoke players lump the ball towards the opposition goal an infinite number of times, at some point someone is going to produce a sublime volleyed finish?
  • Options
    If one of our Premier League Carlos Fandango imports had of scored it it would have been given the sexy goal traetment in the media. Fact.
  • Options
    Donkey of the year.... wait... Donkey the last 5 years.
  • Options
    Donkey of the year.... wait... Donkey the last 5 years.
    You're right imagine if he signed for us, we'd all be gutted!!!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    RVP's goal against Everton was better. Both great finishes but one involved a beautiful pass, great teamwork and understanding by Song. Coruch's came from a lump forward, and he teed himself up
  • Options
    He can't go as our "tall" player.

He is actually pretty awful in the air & using his head. He has said that himself. He said he prefers it to feet. He has good feet & control.
    So Carroll is more adept at holding the ball up than Crouch? Give me strength. You people don't like Crouch simply because he's not pleasing on the eye. He's a fine footballer,infinitely better than that pony-tailed troglodyte Carroll who couldn't hit a how's arsene with a banjo. The tall one should go to The Euros.
    Problem is, he hasn't the frame or agility to be that nimble striker, nor does he have the heading ability & nous to lead the line. Carroll has been a huge disappointment this season BUT the vast majority of his flick ons go to space/person, he is adept at holding it up etc. Crouch isn't.
  • Options
    Sorry,mucked up the quote thing.
  • Options
    Can't believe how much stick Crouchey gets he's head and shoulders above every other England striker.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm with redskin. Some people don't rate him just because he looks 'awkward'. It's like they're automatically assuming he's rubbish without actually watching him for real, just because of his 'look'.

You don't have to be a genius to notice that he's a technically gifted player. You just have to open your eyes.
  • Options
    Great ball foward (not a 'lump' IMO)' Crouch wins the ball in the air and then gives himself a terrific touch pass, followed by the superb volley past England's No 1 keeper. The man is class.
  • Options
    1998–2000 Tottenham Hotspur 0 (0)
    2000–2001 Queens Park Rangers 42 (10)
    2001–2002 Portsmouth 37 (18)
    2002–2004 Aston Villa 37 (6)
    2003 → Norwich City (loan) 15 (4)
    2004–2005 Southampton 27 (12)
    2005–2008 Liverpool 85 (22)
    2008–2009 Portsmouth 38 (11)
    2009–2011 Tottenham Hotspur 73 (12)
    2011– Stoke City 24 (8)

Seems to me like he spends a season or so at clubs then gets bombed out because they realise he ain't all that.

Personally I think he's crap. Amazes me how a man who stands 6 ft 7 in can only jump 5 ft 11in!
  • Options
    1998–2000 Tottenham Hotspur 0 (0)
    2000–2001 Queens Park Rangers 42 (10)
    2001–2002 Portsmouth 37 (18)
    2002–2004 Aston Villa 37 (6)
    2003 → Norwich City (loan) 15 (4)
    2004–2005 Southampton 27 (12)
    2005–2008 Liverpool 85 (22)
    2008–2009 Portsmouth 38 (11)
    2009–2011 Tottenham Hotspur 73 (12)
    2011– Stoke City 24 (8)

Seems to me like he spends a season or so at clubs then gets bombed out because they realise he ain't all that.

Personally I think he's crap. Amazes me how a man who stands 6 ft 7 in can only jump 5 ft 11in!
    missed out a loan move to the mighty Dulwich Hamlet on that!
  • Options
    So in summing up, those who think he is crap because he is tall and therefore "gangly" think it was a fluke, and will never ever change their mind even if he scores a hat trick against Brazil in the world cup final. Those who like him know it was a cracking goal, appreciate it as such and generally like him as a player despite his flaws. Colthe3rd and Gray9 you have no idea. Sorry chaps if that sounds a bit rude, but that's the reaction I had to your posts initially, and it is the same reaction I have, having reflected on them.
  • Options
    Get him on the plane!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So in summing up, those who think he is crap because he is tall and therefore "gangly" think it was a fluke, and will never ever change their mind even if he scores a hat trick against Brazil in the world cup final. Those who like him know it was a cracking goal, appreciate it as such and generally like him as a player despite his flaws. Colthe3rd and Gray9 you have no idea. Sorry chaps if that sounds a bit rude, but that's the reaction I had to your posts initially, and it is the same reaction I have, having reflected on them.
    Please enlighten me on what I have no idea about?
  • Options
    Commentator ' So , Peter , what would you be if you were n't a professional footballer ? '

Crouch ' A virgin ' ...
  • Options
    I said it was a great goal but can't think of any other goals he has scored in his career of similar quality. Therefore I would call it a one-off or fluke.
  • Options
    I said it was a great goal but can't think of any other goals he has scored in his career of similar quality. Therefore I would call it a one-off or fluke.
    So Bartlett's goal was a fluke as well then.
  • Options
    Overhead kick against Galatasary for Liverpool.

• Options
    It was a great goal but City must think their luck is poxed.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Quality goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQjgBk7X3vo

Video appears not to be working : (

I don't rate him but he is better than Carroll and Zamora put together so maybe he should go to the euro's.
  • Options
    Sorry,mucked up the quote thing.
    You've got your view, I have mine, based on watching them probably just as often as you.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/10/15/peter-crouch-headers/

This article (& others quoted in it) picks up on the same point.

He is a good footballer. But in no way is he best suited at being the "big man" or good in the air/holding things up. He likes it on the deck.
  • Options

I don't rate him but he is better than Carroll and Zamora put together so maybe he should go to the euro's.
    Says more about the standard of English strikers but as Sparrows says he isn't suited to the big/target man role which I presume you are getting at by mentioning him in the same sentance as Carroll and Zamora.