Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

south of France, Perpignan area

edited March 2012 in Not Sports Related
anyone on here ever been, much to see? Probably flying in to Barcelona and driving over the Pyrenees.

Comments

• It's a beautiful area. Lovely ancient old towns and villages.
  • Agree with SHG although I would probably move a bit more toward Carcassonne and Montpellier, then onto Nimes and Arles, back home up the middle via the Ardeche. Mmmm sheer heaven.
  • visiting me mum who lives south of Perpignan, so kinda tied to that area, will deffo do a day trip to carcassonne
  • Probably best to ask your Mum then Raz ....
  • i did but she's not very good on getting about by car as she doesn't drive, plus shes getting on and forgot there is a great local sandy beach..
  • Try to get to Collioure. It is a little town with a beautiful harbour and has long had links to the art scene. Argeles-sur-mer is the place for holiday makers and everything is catered for. Carcossonne is well worth the trip.
  • Yeah as people are saying Carcassone is a great place to visit, such an amazing view just driving past from the motorway as well
  • Because it's the capital of French Catalonia, it can feel very un-French and I love it for that reason. Worth checking out if there are any Catalan festivals or ceremonies during the time that you visit. They can be very unnusual and generally highly enjoyable, provided that is that a giant papier mache head doesn't descend on your kid's pushchair! Nearly forgot, it can get exhaustingly hot. As our caravan heads off to remote and windy N. Scotland, I'll try to remember that I found it too hot in the South of France at times. Hope you have a great time.
  • thanks guys, anymore comments most welcome
  • I would also recommend Narbonne its about an hours drive from Perpignon (the city) in the Aude department if you do that trip you also should stop in Fitou and sample some of the great red wine.

As others have said Carcassonne is a must when in this part of the world.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would agree with Narbonne - I was in the area with my elderly parents a few years ago. One tip (and I now it sounds a bit naff) but the wee tourist trains are great for letting the auld yins see round the towns and Narbonne had a great one as did Girona in Spain. Going to Girona would be my tip - my favourite city and if you're fit walking the City Wall there is a must. Pezenas and Beziers are also worth a trip. Enjoy!!
  • All of these. Carcassonne is spectacular, worth at least a couple of days. Collioure is very pretty and the whole area is a delight. Even Perpignan is a pleasant city, and the beaches in that area are excellent.

The drive on the back roads from Carcassone over the limestone plateau back to the coast is great fun, expecially if you have a nervous passenger!
  • If you are going by car in August the traffic jams are bloody awful. Maybe do the long trip at night.
    We stayed in a decent apartment at Saint Crypian which has a great marina.
    Beach is pretty good.
    Loads of camp sites.
  • I live in France, not sure if I've ever mentioned it.....
  • Going at Easter i hope
  • Stayed in St Cyprien twice. Local wine is very good.
  • Lovely bit of graffiti seen on a wall - not French, not Spanish - Catalan
  • On the Spanish side of the border between Barca and France there are 3 must do's....

1 Ampurias - Greek ruins from 500 BC - amazing
    2) Figueras - home of Salvador Dali and has his museum there
    3) Tamariu - beautiful fishing village - if you can, try to stay in Hotel Tamariu on beach.
  • Try to get to Collioure. It is a little town with a beautiful harbour and has long had links to the art scene. Argeles-sur-mer is the place for holiday makers and everything is catered for. Carcossonne is well worth the trip.
    This.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very nice beaches down there, and we took the opportunity to visit Lourdes which is quite an experience.
  • edited March 2012
    Very nice beaches down there, and we took the opportunity to visit Lourdes which is quite an experience.
    MOG has applied to be a bikini/thong inspection steward there by all accounts!!!

Or was that Lords????

• edited March 2012

• Love Perpignan & if the Catalan Dragons are at home the Giles Brutus stadium is well worth a visit.
    As said the town itself is lovely & the beach superb!
    The Catalans are lovely people.
    Have a great time!
  • looks like I need to bookmark this thread, moving house has put paid to my little jaunt

:(
  • Agree with SHG although I would probably move a bit more toward Carcassonne and Montpellier, then onto Nimes and Arles, back home up the middle via the Ardeche. Mmmm sheer heaven.
    You took the words out of my mouth. Wonderful scenery, wonderful food, wonderful wine, wonderful weather. What else can i say it's wonderful,

However try to get to Andorra. The views are breathtaking and when you get there everything is duty free. Sheer Heaven.

Enjoy your trip - I know you will
  • Agree with Grandpa. Lourdes is quite an experience. You don't have to be a catholic to take it all in. Thoudands of people marching for peace at night with lighted candles.
    Well worth the detour.
  • Finally made it, flew crying air to perpignan this morning, its blinking 'ot
  • Stayed at Argeles Sur Mer thirty years ago. Lovely part of the world - excellent beaches etc. Very close to Spanish border. The day trip out tended to be to Andorra - duty free - fill your boots.
  • Local 15 mins drive to argeles may pop down tomorrow