Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pritchard

edited March 2012 in General Charlton
Just trying to think of why he lost his place after the Sheff Wed/Fulham performances? was he suspended/injured? my brains not working today.

Now Russell has mugged himself over i say give Bradley a start. think his winning of the second ball against the lump it kick bollok n bite teams we have left to play is gonna be vital. He also allows Hollands to be the box to box midfielder that we like seeing.

Get him in.

Comments

• Options
    couldn't agree more...
  • Options
    Was thinking the same against Hudders. Russell has never done that much for me and has struck me as someone who always looks like he'd make a straight red tackle. Pritch didn't do that much wrong when he was in the side.
  • Options
    100% agree with this! Pritch was class when he was in the team, has a big engine on him too.
  • Options
    apart from 1 game pritchard has been excellent. the energy and commitment he brings is what we need.
  • Options
    Karim was he dropped after the one game you mention? Im really struggling to think we he lost his place.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Karim was he dropped after the one game you mention? Im really struggling to think we he lost his place.
    I think it must have been Rochdale at home as he only got an average player mark of 5.22 and was poor that game.
  • Options
    Last played against Rochdale I think... Don't really remember why though!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    yeah it was that. was just trying to think as i knew it was a tuesday night game but there's been so many. he was poor but it didn't help that he was played out of postion. i dont think he got a start after that.

edit: just checked. no he didn't get another start.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    yeah it was that. was just trying to think as i knew it was a tuesday night game but there's been so many. he was poor but it didn't help that he was played out of postion. i dont think he got a start after that.
    Agreed think he was played RM and seemed to lack confidence and his legs had gone an hour in. He is worth another go though IMO.
  • Options
    Weren't the next 2 matches the Stevenage and Chesterfield wins?
    If so makes sense that SCP didn't want to change a winning change after that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pritchard was really impressive at the beginning of the year but if I would probably still choose Stephens to come into the team this weekend. It was his best performance in a long time on Saturday and he definitely added a lot. Every attack or period of possession seemed to start with him. If he is showing signs of getting back to his early season form he deserves a go.
  • Options
    Is Hughes injured?

He seems to have been completely off the radar for quite a while now.
  • Options
    Is Hughes injured?

He seems to have been completely off the radar for quite a while now.
    I reckon he has spoken out of turn to SCP. Just a hunch though.
  • Options
    Not a lot to chose between Pritchard & Stephens imo. I would probably go with Pritch but i don't see them play every day on the training ground and after a defeat it is easy to get carried away that one of the players who did not feature is the answer to any problems.
  • Options
    Weren't the next 2 matches the Stevenage and Chesterfield wins?
    If so makes sense that SCP didn't want to change a winning change after that!
    true.

though he was played out of postion and any of the midfield could of been droped. jackson came back and added stability.
  • Options
    Hughes had a hamstring injury and was back in training.
  • Options
    Once everyone was available Powell far Green Stephens Holllands Jackson a go. That got us a few results but it was rarely convincing as a midfield 4.

Think it's still not clear what the best midfield is. The above is the best "on paper" but lacks pace and/or energy. Pritchard, Wagstaff and Hughes all offer that and we've had some good results and performances with 1 of them playing with 3 of the above.
  • Options
    Stephens rather than Pritch for me.

Pritch did a good job in some games but lately seems to be treading water. Hasn't done much wrong, but not done enough positively lately - few telling passes, assists, goals, Stephens capable of all 3.

Assuming we go up, I'd give Pritch another year with a view to loaning him out
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Personally would rather Hughes replaces Russell, Hughes did very little wrong in his run the side and we played some of our best football of the season. Also thought it bought the best out in Hollands and Wiggins with Hughes covering.

Pritchard also did well when he got a run in CM, struggled on the right against Rochdale but can also count himself unlucky. Although Stephens has a lot of class, it has not happened for him yet and imho the midfield functions better without him.
  • Options
    I really would like to see Hughes back in the team now. Idont know if he has had a fall out with Powell or whatever he needs to be back in the centre of our midfield. I am not saying he is the most talented footballer in the world but he knows his role within the team & does it very well, protecting the back four & allowing Hollands to run forward. I really do feel we need him back in the team!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Powell dropped him for the quality Stephens can bring, but when that didn't work opted for experience in Russell. Pritch was only playing non-league last year so I reckon he went for the player most likely to do the simple job effectively. Which I think was the right idea, only Russell's made a bit of a mess of his opportunity with that sending off
  • Options
    I'd like to see 4-5-1 away if Yann out. BWP on shoulder of last man and running channels, Waggy, Brad, Stevo, Hollands and Cook. Hoofball not an option. Suck em in and loads of pace to break.
  • Options
    our away form has been outstaning this season. Why change a winning formula
  • Options
    I'd like to see 4-5-1 away if Yann out. BWP on shoulder of last man and running channels, Waggy, Brad, Stevo, Hollands and Cook. Hoofball not an option. Suck em in and loads of pace to break.
    That would be a terrible idea. What generally happens with 4-5-1 is that it devolves into hoofball if not carried out properly, which it never is. The only way for us to successfully play a 4-5-1 is to have it switch into 4-3-3 on the break, but neither Waggy nor Cook have that in their arsenal. So you're asking two wingers to play a game unsuited to them, and three midfielders to adapt to a whole new style of play right at the end of the season. The outcome is you'll have BWP isolated and frustrated while the opposition build up a head of steam in our half. The midfield will become congested and uncertain and we will create nothing. I'll never understand the obsession with random radical formation changes/sweeping changes to the line-up/'blooding the youngsters' regardless of readiness. For all it's brilliance Football Manager has done some bad things to football fans.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Edit: Sorry for committing the heinous crime of going off subject but I'm not deleting this after taking ages to type it up :P
    Personally would rather Hughes replaces Russell, Hughes did very little wrong in his run the side and we played some of our best football of the season. Also thought it bought the best out in Hollands and Wiggins with Hughes covering.

Pritchard also did well when he got a run in CM, struggled on the right against Rochdale but can also count himself unlucky. Although Stephens has a lot of class, it has not happened for him yet and imho the midfield functions better without him.
    Totally agree with the first paragraph, does everything Russell did and more (and never got sent off, or gave away a penalty after giving the ball away in the midfield). Second paragraph, Pritchard isn't a wide man, and he hasn't quite got the quality of Jackson to be able to adapt himself to the wide positions, he did alright at times but don't think he'd ever do anythign amazing there.
    I think Powell dropped him for the quality Stephens can bring, but when that didn't work opted for experience in Russell. Pritch was only playing non-league last year so I reckon he went for the player most likely to do the simple job effectively. Which I think was the right idea, only Russell's made a bit of a mess of his opportunity with that sending off
    Keeping the probable fact that Hughes and Powell aren't getting along, I think SCP is underestimating what Hughes can bring to the table in replacement of the spark and creativity Stephens has, sometimes I think Hollands and Stephens cancel each other out a bit as the midfield pair, too alike almost. A mix of grit and a more defensive mind in Hughes and a creative player like Hollands/Stephens would tear teams apart i reckon.
  • Options
    I think it may take a few games for Stephens to get back to his best, time we can't afford to waste. When he's not at his best, he's a luxury player. I'd prefer Pritchard or Hughes depending on who was more match fit. Pritchard is always involved, has got terrific energy and determination and does the simple things very efficiently, I was extremely impressed especially with his performance at Fulham.
  • Options
    If Stevens gets the nod over Pritchard and Hughes then promotion is in serious jeapordy. Can't tackle or head and just passes the buck by giving the ball to two centre backs when in possession. Hides when we are under the cosh.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    If Stevens gets the nod over Pritchard and Hughes then promotion is in serious jeapordy. Can't tackle or head and just passes the buck by giving the ball to two centre backs when in possession. Hides when we are under the cosh.
    Think thats a little harsh! On his day Stephens is the best centre midfielder we have and his passing can really open teams up. Also his tackling is not the issue, it's his not tracking his runner that is his issue. However, I think the main problem with Stephens that he has started to play too deep rather than getting forward and dictating play. This probably started when Hollands was allowed more freedom playing with Hughes/Pritchard and so he is still using this same freedom, which in turn means Stephens has to 'sit' slightly more than he was doing when he was at his most effective for us. To be honest I would not have a complaint with either Stephens or Pritchard starting on Sat, both will bring something different to the team and both have proved they have what it takes to get our midfield ticking....which we really need to find again now.
  • Options
    Yeah BB, Jensen couldn't tackle or head and he was useless wasn't he? Did you see many of the early season games?
  • Options
    All home games and 6 away Paddy7. We built the team around Claus. Are you seriously comparing Stevens with Claus?