Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Work woes......sort of happy ending

As anyone who works in the public sector knows, people are losing their jobs left right and centre.

Have been going through the dreaded re-organisation for the last 8 months. Was interviewed for my own job today. Thankfully I was appointed. Having been in public service since 1998 I'd struggle to retrain now.

Been a really stressful time and knowing that there are 1000s of others in my position is no comfort.

Wouldnt wish the situation on anyone. If I hadnt got the job I'd have lost a substantial amount of money and been downgraded. God knows how people who are interviewed under threat of redundency deal with that.

Comments

• Options
    Happy for you Clem. Does this mean you'll start predicting wins in the previews?
  • Options
    Dont go mad.
  • Options
    Glad for you Clem.
  • Options
    Nice one Mate, glad it worked out ok. Things are getting tougher and tougher
  • Options
    Well done Clem, I know exactly how you feel. Crack open a cheeky red to unwind.
  • Options
    Well done mate , not a good time to be out of work or losing money due to being down graded

Have a Beer and chill for the first time in what must seem like ages
  • Options
    Clem, well done mate. Have a nasty feeling that is what's coming my way
  • Options
    Well done mate I went through it in January and I was one of the unlucky ones and was made redundant but as luck would have it I found a new job within a week and a better package.
  • Options
    Nice one Clem. As a public sector worker myself I know how things have been. Working for the MoJ is stressy at the moment, my establishment alone has had to find 1.2million pounds savings this year!

Great when there's a happy ending for one of us.
  • Options
    Congratulations Clem, glad its worked out for you.
    Ray
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done. Was in Local Government for many years and the last few were spent ducking and diving things like 're-structuring' and 'ring-fencing'. I sometimes wondered what the cost of it all was both in time and in staff morale: the Human Resources Dept.(what a mis-nomer that is) seemed to grow whilst everything else was shrinking! Finally staggered across the early retirement finishing line, but really didn't want to go. Keep your head down: they'll be back!
  • Options
    Well done
  • Options
    Nice one mate. On a personal level I think I got out at the right time as I'm not sure I could have gone through it all.

Still speak to allot over your way and it sounds horrible.

Really glad you're sorted though, onward and upwards
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited March 2012
    Interviews going on at our place today, just seen a woman walking through the car park in tears, horrible time.

Edit to say - we're NHS
  • Options
    It seems to me that the current recession is allowing large companies to pick off and take over smaller ones, often causing redundancies and job losses. My company has been taken over by a company with 42 branches who are planning to buy another 20 branches this year. I am currently watching a bunch of older ladies work their last few weeks before trying to find another job, and it's no fun.
  • Options
    Pleased for you Clem , I know how difficult it is out there at the moment.
  • Options
    It breaks my heart to see the NHs being knowingly dismantled and rendered ineffective, so it's always good to hear a good news story. Well done Clem.
  • Options
    It breaks my heart to see the NHs being knowingly dismantled and rendered ineffective, so it's always cheering to hear a good news story. Well done Clem.
  • Options
    I would take this as a warning shot though, sorry to say but I don't think you've seen the back of the cuts. You said yourself you'd struggle to retrain but it might be worth thinking about starting some evening classes so you have at least got some up to date skills if the worst does happen. By starting now you don't have stress of trying to find work whilst getting new skills.
  • Options
    As anyone who works in the public sector knows, people are losing their jobs left right and centre.

Have been going through the dreaded re-organisation for the last 8 months. Was interviewed for my own job today. Thankfully I was appointed. Having been in public service since 1998 I'd struggle to retrain now.

Been a really stressful time and knowing that there are 1000s of others in my position is no comfort.

Wouldnt wish the situation on anyone. If I hadnt got the job I'd have lost a substantial amount of money and been downgraded. God knows how people who are interviewed under threat of redundency deal with that.
    Same for me. Consultation over and done with interviews have taken place. Unfortunately, I didn't get the job I wanted as 2 into 1 doesn't go. I was half hoping for redundancy as I'd get 60 weeks pay but they're not going to make me redundant (yet) as they have 'project' work for me. If I can hold on for another 2 1/2 years, then I'll get my pension.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm pleased that it's worked out ok and while I don't want to panic you, it's likely that this could happen again in a year or two. Keep your head down and stay lucky.
  • Options
    I'm not naieve enough to know that we arent going to face further cuts. However, we know our budget position for two years.

IT are delivering substantial savings by taking managed services in house and as such we are delivering 1.5-2 million savings in a year without cutting staff.
  • Options
    Good on you Clem. Like many in the public sector I'm awaiting the day when I get the chop. I've braved it out so far, but the powers that be are hell bent on making cuts irrespective of the costs.