Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Graham Moore and Paul Went - Questions Please for Charlton Live

edited March 2012 in General Charlton
This one is more for some of the more mature aged supporters, any questions?

Comments

• Just how good did they rate that 68/69 side?
    Why do they think it all turned sour?
    Is it true there were a lot of boozers in the team!?
  • One question i have always wanted to ask Paul Went: as a schoolboy I was invited to watch a midweek cuptie against Crystal Palace. Eddie Firmani was the manager and kindly showed us around the boardroom and player's areas before the game. During this game Paul Went scored the first 2 goals in this match and then went on to get his hat-trick. This was announced over the tennine system at the time. However the hat-trick was taken away from him as the ball was already entering the net before he made contact. How did he feel after the game about this decision. Incidentally it was a hat-trick of own goals he scored. Never it seen it since and will never see it again (I think).
    With Graham Moore whilst at Man U.: how many of the Busby babes did he play football with and who was the best? Graham Moore was always my childhood hero and always signed his autographs with Best Wishes. A true gentleman.
  • Did anyone ever offer either of you outside? Must have been a brave man!
  • Is it true that Graham Moore once did a TV advert for Caerphilly cheese?
  • when i name the first team i recall it is as gk charlie wright 2 bob curtis3 brian kinsley 4 alan cambell 5 paul went 6 peter reeves 7 harry gregory 8 ray tracy 9 matt tees 10 graham moore(welsh international and was so proud to see a charlton player on tv,on sportsnight,seem to remember alan cambell playing for scotland at least once also) and 11 keith peacock or was it mike kenning.I also seem to remember a 5-3 win at home to fulham and beating Derby 2-0 at home, who were to become champions.have i got this right or is my memory overlapping.please discuss above team

• What memories does Graham have of his volley against Norwich City when he interchanged passes with Luciano Masiello? I still believe it was the most viciously struck goal I have ever seen.
  • edited March 2012
    Graham Moore a real gentleman had a very successful pub 'ooop north' for a long time....he's good pals with Harry Gregory and loved his time at Charlton.
    Paul Went is match day host at Orient............. in their corporate lounge.
  • bertpalmer
    March 28

when i name the first team i recall it is as gk charlie wright 2 bob curtis3 brian kinsley 4 alan cambell 5 paul went 6 peter reeves 7 harry gregory 8 ray tracy 9 matt tees 10 graham moore(welsh international and was so proud to see a charlton player on tv,on sportsnight,seem to remember alan cambell playing for scotland at least once also) and 11 keith peacock or was it mike kenning.I also seem to remember a 5-3 win at home to fulham and beating Derby 2-0 at home, who were to become champions.have i got this right or is my memory overlapping.please discuss above team

Bert

I think you have the team just right. I too remember that game against Fulham, Johnny Haynes was still playing and I think Frank Large was playing up front for them and took such a ribbing from the crowd on the East Terrace. I also remember that Fulham turned out in dirty un-ironed shirts and looked a right state. Strange what stays in your memory.

Also remember the Derby game Cloughies team pummelled us all game and we won with a super goal from Ray Treacy and a Matt Tees header
  • This was my all time favourite Charlton team and these two gents two of my favourite footballers. I remember Paul Went totally dominating John Toshack when he came down The Valley playing for Cardiff he didn't get a kick or a header all game, not long after that he was transferred to Liverpool for £100K. As for Graham he was quality and formed one of the best midfields in the division and don't agree about the Derby game I thought we were good for that win. Sadly we finished third that season and didn't get promoted so we will never know just how good that team could have been.
  • edited March 2012
    Yes, a good team with some great characters in which Graham & Paul, along with Charlye W. and Harry G. stood out. I wonder if they remember the 4-1 win at Loftus Road, our first victory on the road for over 30 game. I thought then that that would be a turning point in what was becoming a disappointing season ('70/71) but then we only won one of the next ten! Any ideas on why it didn't take off?
    Also, after the 0-5 home defeat to Leicester in '69/70 there was a rumour doing the rounds that it had been at Theo Foley's suggestion that Mike Kenning should play at left back. Any thoughts on that?
    On a happier note, how satisfying was the 2-0 Cup win at Palace in'69. Did they enjoy it as much as we did? (and did Ray Treacy have a pint or two afterwards?)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2012
    Sorry, just thought of something else. My memories may be 'rose tinted' but seem to remember some very good games against both QPR and Sheffield United. How well did you consider Marsh and Currie: would you have liked them in the Charlton team?

• edited March 2012
    What went wrong with Eddie Firmani as manager?

Third place one season to obscurity the next with largely the same set of players.
  • OK just found out Graham will not be joingi us it will be Harry Gregory, any questions?
  • The Eddie Firmani question is still relevant.

When you used to jump on the little fence next to the track after scoring did you ever think you might fall into the crowd?
  • Cheers Len
  • When you did that after scoring against QPR in the Cup, did you think it was going to be 'our day'.
  • Does Paul Went remember a spectacular own goal at the valley? I don't know who it was against, but it was a corker. I was behind the covered end goal and I am sure it was a night game.
  • One for Harry, I remember Harry in one game being substituted and pulling his shirt off and throwing on the ground, does he remember the incident and why? ps Harry was my hero then
  • CharltonPete
    March 28
    Is it true that Graham Moore once did a TV advert for Caerphilly cheese?
    Maybe Harry or Paul would know if this is true or not
  • One Saturday afternoon whilst I was at the Valley with my dad and brother, a couple came to view our house which was for sale at that time. On entering my bedroom the lady said to my mum, "oh you've got a picture of my son on your wall" Her son being Paul Went.
    They very kindly invited my Dad and I to their house house in Fairfield Rd, Ilford, and then walked us across to Paul's house in the same road. Paul and his wife made us very welcome and meeting one of my idols in his own house was one of the highlights of my childhood. Please pass on my regards to Paul, he was a great centre half and I particularly remember his cool penalties where he had a knack of sending the keeper completely the wrong way.
  • Sponsored links:

• What memories does Graham have of his volley against Norwich City when he interchanged passes with Luciano Masiello? I still believe it was the most viciously struck goal I have ever seen.
    For many years that was the best goal I had ever seen at the Valley. Nearly ripped the net :-)
  • CharltonPete
    March 28
    Is it true that Graham Moore once did a TV advert for Caerphilly cheese?
    Maybe Harry or Paul would know if this is true or not
    It is true -- I remember it well.
  • The Derby game was superb and RT's goal unsurpassed in my Charlton memories, although it was run close by the goals he scored at Palace and Fulham - Jan and Feb 69 were indeed golden months.
    A pity that Graham will not be around. I would have liked his views on the epic Charlton-Northampton match in May 67, which sent the visitors down. He was playing for Town, of course, and I am (almost) certain that at one point in a tumultuous game he had a dust-up with one of his own players.

• Will Paul be at the game today? He was one of my school boy heroes!
  • The Cheese advert was true think Graham was a welsh international player at the time. he said the famous line

mmmh... this is good Caerphilly !

• Will Paul be at the game today? He was one of my school boy heroes!
    A racing certainty RM.
    You wont miss him...he's even bigger than he was 'back in the day'.