Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stiliyan Petrov diagnosed with Leukemia

edited April 2012 in General Charlton
He has been diagnosed with acute Leukemia

:|

Shocking news.

Comments

• Poor Sod, Hoping he makes a full recovery!
  • That's terrible!! Hope he recovers.
  • edited March 2012
    Awful - only 32. Wishing him every strength to fight it.
  • Feel for him, had it when i was 16, being a fit youngish man he'll be in a good position to fight it hopefully
  • Good luck Stilyan.
  • Sorry to hear that, JT, but glad you came through it. Is this the same as Kermo had?
  • As a cancer 'survivor' (so far anyway !!), I wish him all the very best. He's young fit and rich, so in a good position to overcome this
  • Let's hope and pray that it has been caught early and that he makes a full recovery.
  • Just heard this on the radio. Terrible news and like everyone wish him nothing but a speedy recovery.
  • What Bournemouth said exactly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leukemia is a lot more treatable nowadays. Here's wishing him a complete recovery.
  • Wishing him the best.
  • Awful news. All the best to petrov and for that matter anyone who has to fight this illness.
  • Horrific. Always makes me think, if fit footballers on super diets and health regimes get ill, what hope have any of us got. Scary.
  • edited March 2012
    Horrific. Always makes me think, if fit footballers on super diets and health regimes get ill, what hope have any of us got. Scary.
    I think the blunt fact is that either it's in the genes or not almost regardless of what you do. The best you can hope for is a reduction in the probability via lifestyle if you are susceptible.

Overall I'd rather not know I think.
  • Sad news indeed, I sincerely hope the lad responds well to treatment like SuperYann did as a teenager. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't telephone him with words of encouragement and support.
  • Believe he's good friends with Kish.
  • Terrible news about Stan. Hopefully they've caught it early and he makes a full recovery. Very best wishes for him and his family.
  • It's a deadly serious illness but it doesn't have to be a death sentence. How wrong Bill Paisley was, there are things more important than football.

Best wishes Stilyan
  • Horrific. Always makes me think, if fit footballers on super diets and health regimes get ill, what hope have any of us got. Scary.
    Leukaemia is caused by the bone marrow producing abnormal white blood cells, what happens is that these cells do not reach maturity but they don't die. Effectively they crowd out the good and working white blood cells and stop them from working. It's as likely to happen to a fit sportsperson as anyone else, as with other cancers it can be caused by exposure to radiation and other causes it seems that many cases of leukaemia occur naturally or at least the cause is unknown.

The good thing about Stiliyan Petrov is that it was spotted early but he has the acute variety which attacks the body quickly, all the more important that he was diagnosed speedily.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scary stuff! So many horrific forms of cancer - it certainly seems like more people get it or is it that we are better at diagnosing now? I don't know, but certainly chances aren't so good right now!
  • Hope he makes a full recovery a terrible disease but many beat it now
  • Scary stuff! So many horrific forms of cancer - it certainly seems like more people get it or is it that we are better at diagnosing now? I don't know, but certainly chances aren't so good right now!
    The overall survival rates are good and getting better - around 60% live for at least one year from diagnosis, but that includes some types where the survival rate is much higher and some where they are very low and of course it depends on the stage of diagnosis and sometimes on sheer good or bad luck.

Unfortunately he has contracted acute myeloid leukaemia, survival rates for this are lower than average - only around 45% survive for five years.
  • I would expect all the medical tests a footballer goes through that they would have caught it at a sufficiently early stage. I hope so anyway.
  • I never knew that about Yann!!

Finger crossed for Stan for a speedy recovery
  • I did a week in Magaluf, two days after i got back i was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid. Madness.
  • Looking at him, just hits home how bad this illness is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY38xozNjKA
  • Don't think I'd have recognised him, lets hope he's on the road to recovery now. Villa have certainly missed him, not that football is important relative to this.