Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Netherne-on-the-hill

Long shot here, but any Addicks local to Netherne-on-the-hill know of any decent pubs in the area? Just moved there and looking for somewhere nice that doesn't require me to drive five miles or ride my bike home (not a particularly good thing to do after a skinful!)

Comments

• Options
    Well i've never heard of the place? Is it nice?
  • Options
    Pretty nice, yes. It's a village built around (and, in my case, directly from) an old nuthouse, so suits me perfectly. You have to drive past some chavvy-looking gaffs to get to my place, but at the back of where I live is nothing but countryside for miles and it's so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Unfortunately, it's been built with no consideration for the fact that it's pretty much isolated from everywhere at the top of a bloody great hill (cycling up it is a nightmare in the sunshine, it's going to be brutal in the winter)
  • Options
    This any help Leroy?
  • Options
    The Red Lion in Coulsdon appears to be the nearest.

Never been there though.
  • Options
    This any help Leroy?
    Insomuchas it shows me where all the pubs are, yes - but it doesn't tell me whether any of them are actually any good. Was hoping (probably forlornly) for someone who lives within shouting distance who could give an actual 'proper' reccomendation. Cheers though - I'll probably start cycling my way through them until I find a decent one.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Leroy, you'd have more success on Holmesdale.net :-)

Tried BITE.com ?

PS Is that why you've been so quiet of late. They've not got t'net at the top of the hill ? :-)
  • Options
    You'll just have to go on a tour of them all.... :0(
  • Options
    Just got broadband installed today. Well, it's called 'broad'band - but 3Mb is more like 'skinny'band to me. Yes - have separated from my wife, and just moved out last weekend. Closest thing to 'nightlife' I've seen in Netherne is a badger the other night when walking in the woods behind my apartment.
  • Options
    Leroy, you'd have more success on Holmesdale.net :-)

Tried BITE.com ?

PS Is that why you've been so quiet of late. They've not got t'net at the top of the hill ? :-)
    Seen no Palace round here so far - plenty of Chelsea mugs though, alongside the ubiquitous kids in ManYoo shirts. BITE is OK, but a lot of the reviews on there are written by student ponce types.
  • Options
    Having lived here for three weeks now, I can confidently state that there are NO pubs within walking distance. None. The two decent-ish looking boozers I was thinking of frequenting are both crap (the White Hart in Chipstead and the Ramblers Rest in Coulsdon). There is, however, an absolute humdinger of a pub called The Bell in Godstone. Sadly, it's about an 8 mile walk, so couldn't be considered 'local'! I'll try biking it and see whether I can handle the trip back half-cut :)

As for Netherne itself, the 'village' is a lot pikier than I expected - though since I'm right at the back of it, I don't see it, other than to drive through it. The place itself though is absolutely beautiful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hi leroy Many years ago i worked in Caterham on the Hill so know your issues regarding the hill ;-) ,,,,there (was) the Bell in Godstone and a big white one on the left in Horley (cant remember the name) but it did have a nice big SECLUDED car park which me and a female friend used to use!!!! ;-) for parking obviously. From memory Netherne i spretty secluded so get your hiking boots on.
  • Options
    Hi Leroy - I'm in Purley, the Fox in old coulsdon is nice but more of a restaurant, its in the same chain as The Bell. I quite like the Harrow in Caterham on the Hill. I frequent the Purley Arms as local to work, has TVs for the footy etc...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Hi Leroy - I have just moved from Rookery Mead(Netherne) last month over to Tadworth. As you know there are some lovely places in Nethenre but like everywhere else the majority is spoilt by the minority which now have to be incorporated into new areas. The Kingswood Arms is a very good pub but would be about 10-15mins in a cab. Hope you enjoy Netherne, let me know if you need to know anything else.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Wow - named after my station!

I've got to agree - the area itself is absolutely fantastic - but by Christ some of the scum you have to wade through to get to my place look like they belong in a zoo. There's also a massive, almost overpowering stench of weed as you turn into one of the roads in the 'village' - definitely a hash farm in one of the houses. Can't believe the gavvers haven't found it - especially since there seem to be as many cop cars round there as there were in poxy Croydon.

Next place I move will be somewhere like Arundel or Chichester. I don't care what it costs - I'll live in a f***ing box if it means I don't have to encounter pondlife every day.

Kingswood Arms is quite near Kingswood Golf Course, isn't it? if it's the one I'm thinking of, then the landlord in there is a miserable c***.
  • Options
    lol! many away trip commenced from Coulsdon South.

He can be a bit funny but I think his wife has beeen quite ill but as a whole it is a good pub and is frequented by a few footballers and ex footballers. If you play golf you can get some good offers at Kingswood even at weekends.
  • Options
    Having lived here for three weeks now, I can confidently state that there are NO pubs within walking distance. None. The two decent-ish looking boozers I was thinking of frequenting are both crap (the White Hart in Chipstead and the Ramblers Rest in Coulsdon). There is, however, an absolute humdinger of a pub called The Bell in Godstone. Sadly, it's about an 8 mile walk, so couldn't be considered 'local'! I'll try biking it and see whether I can handle the trip back half-cut :)

As for Netherne itself, the 'village' is a lot pikier than I expected - though since I'm right at the back of it, I don't see it, other than to drive through it. The place itself though is absolutely beautiful.
    used to be quite a nice pub halfway along chipstead valley lane from coulsdon halfway to kingswood ...had a club attached called the eclipse

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Know Netherne from my car collecting days, you certainly picked a dry area, mate. If you can still get access from the lane on the Chaldon side then the Golden Lion at Caterham-on-the-Hill is within striking distance. Friendly rock'n'roll pub with an American diner restaurant. There are High Street pubs in both parts of Caterham but avoid the one's near the 'barracks' estate (near Tesco). Redhill pubs are fast disappearing, the best one remaining being The Garland on Brighton Road opp. M-Benz (my old employer). A good drop of Harveys in a friendly atmosphere. And you can catch a bus home (405): you'd only have to stagger up the hill: no problem. Most Reigate pubs are good though I hear The Market can get 'lively': and the Red Cross has security on the doors Friday and Saturday nights. South of Reigate plenty of good ones in Sidlow, Leigh, Brockham and Betchworth. Good for Sunday outings.
  • Options
    Cheers March - I'm planning a bike ride round Godstone, Reigate, Betchworth, Bletchingley and Redhill/Salfords this weekend. Will take a look at those you've suggested.
  • Options
    Don't bother with Salfords Leroy, there are no pubs left only hotels with bars for the Gatwick trade. I forgot that Redhill also has The Home Cottage at the bottom of Redstone Hill, near the station, which is also worth a look.
  • Options
    Closest thing to 'nightlife' I've seen in Netherne is a badger the other night when walking in the woods behind my apartment.
    What are you doing "walking" in the woods when its dark :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Closest thing to 'nightlife' I've seen in Netherne is a badger the other night when walking in the woods behind my apartment.
    What are you doing "walking" in the woods when its dark :-)
    Haha

You'd be surprised how therapeutic it is. Plus it's so secluded there aren't even any kiddie-fiddlers to worry about :)