Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nice windfall.............

Had a VERY nice shock this week when I received a cheque in the post from the taxman for £2,500 from 2007/8. Never had a tax rebate in almost 30 years so naturally very chuffed.

Have since heard from a few other people who have had on in the last couple of weeks. Anyone know why they're dishing these out all of a sudden? Always thought that you had to apply for them.

Anyone else had on recently?

I'm now off the spend it all on a full tank of petrol.................................................

Comments

• Options
    Had a £15 council tax refund a few days ago dating back to 2010
  • Options
    I also inherited a rather nice lump of cash from a long lost reletive around 5-6 years ago. I probably hadnt seen her in maybe 20 years
  • Options
    I found 50p
  • Options
    Stumbled across 3 points on Saturday. Very nearly got enough to spend on a new set of opponents for next season....
  • Options
    I'd like to give that ref his p45
  • Options
    Nice one Tango but I wonder why it took them 4 years to realise they owed you money? If it was the other way around you would probably have had to pay a penalty.
  • Options
    My means tested student loan (back in 95) was woefully underpaid for the uni year. Couple of weeks before the year ends and I get a cheque for 820. Used the money to backpack round europe for the summer.
  • Options
    Had a VERY nice shock this week when I received a cheque in the post from the taxman for £2,500 from 2007/8. Never had a tax rebate in almost 30 years so naturally very chuffed.

Have since heard from a few other people who have had on in the last couple of weeks. Anyone know why they're dishing these out all of a sudden? Always thought that you had to apply for them.

Anyone else had on recently?

I'm now off the spend it all on a full tank of petrol.................................................
    LOL tf...very witty!

• Options
    Exactly the opposite: letter from the taxman recently saying that before I retired I hadn't been paying enough (their mis-calculation though they won't admit it) and I've got to pay it back at so much a month. Any chance of a sub?
  • Options
    When I was 20 I got a rebate for £940. Spent it on a season ticket and a trip to Amsterdam. Good times!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I recently got a 300euro refund for my overpaid council tax...

...from 1996! Go figure.
  • Options
    They sent me a letter in December saying i was owed 2400, recieved a cheque for about 1400 but nothing since.
  • Options
    Nice one Tango , it wouldn't surprise me if we've been paying over the odds in taxes for years , have you ever phoned the tax office , its a nightmare!
  • Options
    Would never happen to me as my accountant makes sure I don't pay any in the first place. :-)