Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Internet WiFi router

edited April 2012 in Not Sports Related
My BT home hub has gone 'up the shoot' any recommendations as to an alternative?

Comments

• Options
    just phone BT and tell them it's gone up the spout, they will send you the latest version for nowt. You will have to do some jiggery as directed by the office bound operator but you will get a replacement in the end. Free delivery too
  • Options
    Carter is correct I believe as bt are still theoretically the owners of the hub. I had similar issue with virgin, who swapped out with latest model. I like virgin models, hard to find though!!

If you were talking about purchasing a wrouter, I'd recommend Netgear or Belkin. Make sure you go for high power signal, to ensure strong signal throughout the house. You can get signal boosters but they tend to be a bit pricey.
  • Options
    Darty

I have virgin and sometimes have slow internet/gaming issues. Do you think this could be a router problem and is it worth trying to get them to supply a new router
  • Options
    Have you tried resetting the router? I was having major internet speed problems and resetting it sorted them right out.
  • Options
    BT have lost the plot over broadband, Virgin is much better in my experience.
    Had them both working at the same time for about 3 months and could do lots of fair comparison tests.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who has Virgin and the whole kit and caboodle simply stops working every six weeks or so? I'm talking TV, Phone and Broadband...it comes by cable which I stupidly thought would always work...the worst time is when it goes off on a Saturday when we're playing away and I'm not there. Is there a service which never goes wrong?
  • Options
    I have virgin tv, phone and broadband. Occasionally the old set top box would lock up and I reported it to virgin. My set top box was swapped out from a virgin branded hd plus box to a Samsung hd plus box. It performs much better, I've had no lock up since and no longer have the now and next bar lag which I used to get. Re broadband, I used to only have 10mbps and had slow performance, especially playing games like fifa12, although some of this due to ea servers (ps3).
    I've just upgraded from 10mbps to 30mbps broadband, which will be doubled to 60mbps in a few weeks free of charge. Cost only gone up £4. They upgraded my broadband modem to a super hub modem/wifi router as part of the upgrade.
    As for speed, broadband speed is not always quite the speed mentioned above but this is usual for nearly everyone. At busy times, it can be early to mid twenties Mbps, but later in the evening can get 40 plus. There are pc tools such as speedtest.net which give an estimate of current broadband speeds by running a ping test and testing the download and upload speeds, but should only be used as a rough guide only. If you are always below the speed purchased, contact virgin.
  • Options
    I have virgin TV phone and broadband, sent via cable.

Phone never a problem, broadband very fast and apart from a few very occasional glitches is excellent, changed TV box recently to TiVo and it's extremely good
  • Options
    British Telecoms infinity absolutely craps all over Virgins faster service. If you go onto BT's website you can see when your exchange will be enabled.

I live nearly 6km from the exchange as the main junction cable flies and I get 80meg

but in answer to mr latimers question see my first response
  • Options
    Am I the only one who has Virgin and the whole kit and caboodle simply stops working every six weeks or so? I'm talking TV, Phone and Broadband...it comes by cable which I stupidly thought would always work...the worst time is when it goes off on a Saturday when we're playing away and I'm not there. Is there a service which never goes wrong?
    Not had any problems with Virgin in the time we've been with them. Broadband has been up literally 100% of the time (about 18 months), phone is never a problem and I've had to reset the V+ box a few times (which takes about 30 seconds) when it occasionally freezes or hangs for a while.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    British Telecoms infinity absolutely craps all over Virgins faster service. If you go onto BT's website you can see when your exchange will be enabled.

I live nearly 6km from the exchange as the main junction cable flies and I get 80meg

but in answer to mr latimers question see my first response
    Agree. Super fast and not expensive.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, we are due to go infinity in June. Whilst on the phone they said my contract was up however since finding outabout infinity I will push them harder to give me a new router or go else where. Infinity does sound rather good!
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, we are due to go infinity in June. Whilst on the phone they said my contract was up however since finding outabout infinity I will push them harder to give me a new router or go else where. Infinity does sound rather good!
    If you really luck out I have a BT router that I don't use that I'm happy to send to you if you can't get one from somewhere else. You can have it for nothing, but the cost of the postage would be gratefully received. The actual cost, I don't want to make money out of you. Or, of course, you could pick it up, or I could bring it on Monday?
  • Options
    My BT home hub has gone 'up the shoot' any recommendations as to an alternative?
    Do they actually have broadband in such remote parts of the country?
  • Options
    Do You have a map of a Girls HotSpots ?
  • Options
    Virgin have a lot of problems in some areas. Normally the download speed will be quite good, but the line quality is pretty shocking (in my experience). This means poor ping and some packet data loss, so streaming/gaming is pretty much a no-go.

Anyway, I ditched 'em and opted for BT infinity. Sooooo much better!
  • Options
    ... I'd recommend Netgear or Belkin...
    I used to have a job doing exhibitions and we used to have to set a laptop up in different locations around the country. We always struggled to get a signal with the Belkin cards that we had, but the Netgear stuff worked a dream. To be fair though that was a few years ago, I'm sure the technology has moved on a lot since then.
  • Options
    Do they actually have broadband in such remote parts of the country?
    Even better than some places south of here just of the A1M I understand!