Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

anti virus protection

Not being very good with computers I want to know the best anti virus protection, I thought I had avast but it seems to have stalled, I cant see it in programs on the control panel and it wont update. If Leroy is reading this some advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2012
    It depends on what level of security you're looking for steve.....for the average 'home' user Avast seems to be very popular...and it's free!
  • Options
    I cant get it to work or uninstall so I can re load it
  • Options
    Go to control panel...then add or remove programmes.....I'm not much cop myself...so maybe you're already doing that?
    Very unusual for anyone to have a problem with Avast....as far as I know anyway.
    Maybe you'd better wait until Leroy is back in town....though he hasn't been on here that much lately.
  • Options
    done that mate and it doesn't even show avast on the programmes
  • Options
    Condom.
  • Options
    Try HouseCall...it's a Free Online Virus and Spyware Scanner. No software to install and no updates to worry about. Just hook-up and the online scanner will checkout your hard disk:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/
  • Options
    Here at Bexley IT Limited we recommend Microsoft Security Essentials if you don't want to pay.
  • Options
    AVG all the way, free, regular updates and well proven.
  • Options
    Avast is good
  • Options
    AVG all the way, free, regular updates and well proven.
    AVG and ZoneAlarm..good in the past but now just bloatware!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    personally i work in IT and i dont even have any antivirus on my computers. The virus's you get these days are Malware anyways.

I would download and install Malwarebytes and just run it periodically to see if it picks up anything like bad cookies you may have picked up.

Also make sure system restore is running on your system, should always be the first port of call should you get infected with anything.

Most antivirus software tends to be crap and doesnt pickup the newest malware even with the latest definitions and as i said Malwarebytes its great for pretty much anything but rootkits, Which are another thing entirely.
  • Options
    Try HouseCall...it's a Free Online Virus and Spyware Scanner. No software to install and no updates to worry about. Just hook-up and the online scanner will checkout your hard disk:

This sounds very dangerous - providing an internet connection to your computer.

How do you know who's at the other end?

Hope you have nothing too personal on your computer.

• Options
    edited April 2012

This sounds very dangerous - providing an internet connection to your computer.

How do you know who's at the other end?

Hope you have nothing too personal on your computer.

I use Comodo as a permanent firewall, Malwarebytes to combat malware and HouseCall to scan for viruses. I too am in IT and second everything ScrappyCAFC has said in his post above.