Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Evans Leaves Crawley for Rotherham

A strange move. Crawley give the impression of being upwardly mobile and Rotherham to be gradually sinking into even greater mediocrity. Perhaps the sale of Barnett and Tubbs caused a major dispute between manager Evans and the board. Or perhaps Evans was made a cash offer that he simply could not refuse.

Comments

• Options
    Can't find this reported anywhere else at the moment.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2012
    Apart from on Sky and the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17656607
  • Options
    OK - was looking online, but not that site.
  • Options
    :-)
  • Options
    A strange move. Crawley give the impression of being upwardly mobile and Rotherham to be gradually sinking into even greater mediocrity. Perhaps the sale of Barnett and Tubbs caused a major dispute between manager Evans and the board. Or perhaps Evans was made a cash offer that he simply could not refuse.
    I know nothing about this story but the words "Rotherham" and "cash offer he simply could not refuse" are not ones you hear in the same sentence all that often.

Unless I am out of the loop and the Millers have a big money backer?

Will probably end as badly for him as it will for Westley when he went from Stevenage to Preston.
  • Options
    A couple of months ago they were top of the league, had two quality strikers and looked too good for league 2. Then they sold there best 2 best players and are lingering in 4th. Although that's a bit of a slump there still in a healthy position to get promoted, so it has to be an off the field issue. They had that bust up at Bradford? Or as Lincs said maybe just a simple cash offers he couldn't refuse.
  • Options
    Rotherham moving into new stadium so quite upwardly mobile themselves
  • Options
    Rotherham moving into new stadium so quite upwardly mobile themselves
    true .. I'd forgotten about this .. farewell at last to the Don Valley 'stadium'
  • Options
    He may have taken Crawley as far they will go. At the start of next season, Rotherham leave their current home, an athletics stadium in Sheffield, and return to Rotherham and new football stadium. There may also be some cash available. In addition, a town with a population of ~ 300,000 should potentially provide support for a team to get into a higher division than the fourth.
  • Options
    I can't stand Steve Evans, there's just something about him.

Might be to do with the fact that he paid back handers to players but seemed to get away with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @SheffieldRed .. a town with a population of ~ 300,000 should potentially provide support for a team to get into a higher division than the fourth

I think you're overestimating Rotherham's population. Having said that, Sheffield, Barnsley etc are just down the road and a new stadium, team and set up could well attract the floating fan
  • Options
    Bizarre from a distance.
  • Options
    How does a man who manages a football team not that old get in that physical shape ? Pisshead
  • Options
    A strange one, but events at Crawley in 2012 have been odd, a supposedly wealthy club on it's way to promotion selling its 2 strikers during the window, something which Evans was clearly unhappy about.

Imagine if Charlton sold Kermorgant and BWP during the January window, and replaced them with cheaper and loan replacements?
  • Options
    Had a neighbour who was a Rotherham fan, complete bellend he was too.
  • Options
    Leon Clarke gets a new manager...
  • Options
    Following in the footsteps of Tommy Docherty ,Emlyn Hughes and Ian Porterfield and of course the legendary Ronnie Moore.

Now name three ex Crawley Managers
  • Options
    Erm...

Steve Evans

Johnny Hollins

nope, stumped for a third
  • Options
    Erm...

Steve Evans

Johnny Hollins

nope, stumped for a third
    Brian Sparrow. I used to live 3 doors from him!
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited April 2012
    I see that Jonathan Acworth's put in his application for the job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @SheffieldRed .. a town with a population of ~ 300,000 should potentially provide support for a team to get into a higher division than the fourth

I think you're overestimating Rotherham's population. Having said that, Sheffield, Barnsley etc are just down the road and a new stadium, team and set up could well attract the floating fan
    You are correct, on checking the figures, I have overestimated the population, but not by much. According to the Council the borough of Rotherham has a population of 254,000.

I don't know about bringing in fans from other area's (it is possible I suppose), but for the first time in ~ 30 years, they have the chance of not losing part of a generation of fans to the Sheffield clubs (traditionally you would expect one in the top division and the other in the second division) if they could / can get up the divisions.
  • Options
    Shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a football club after his carry on at Boston.
  • Options
    Replaced by Steve Coppell
  • Options
    Like him as a manager, but be interesting to see how long he lasts there. Thought Bristol City was the end for him tbh.
  • Options
    Ah, having looked it up seems he hasn't replaced Evans, but has rather taken the role of Director of Football.
  • Options

What a great swap ,

Coppell over A fat miserable angry looking fraud

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2012
    Did you see the players' reaction to the news he left. It's brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=im1GzgQ_3zc
  • Options
    I see that Acworths put in his application for the job.
  • Options
    at least he raised the cash to buy all the lads a nice club whistle
  • Options
    That YouTube video of the players celebrating had me in stitches. Especially considering the caretaker manager was sat there with them too!