Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sidcup station

edited April 2012 in Not Sports Related
They seem to be gold plating it, kinda risky isnt that?

Comments

• Options
    They seem to be gold plating it, kinda risky isnt that?
    What an abomination that looks , do you think there's some new rap star moving into the hood?

• Options
    It is a bit bling...
  • Options
    Isn't that 'The Fold?
  • Options
    Yeah, The Fold. What a mess. There was an article about it in the Standard recently, apparently there have been protests.

I can see it from my window :(
  • Options
    A what were they thinking moment, very 70s
  • Options
    Its awful , you struggle not to chuck your guts when you walk past it.
  • Options
    Apparently...... "A new, architecturally striking building currently under construction by United House, comprising 69 apartments"
    I did read that it will 'fade with the natural ageing process' according to the breathless pr lady in the local rag.....
    I was rather hoping it would rather fade into the ground, on an architectural level..........
    Yes there is an issue with affordable housing, but schemes like this are not the answer.
    I was at the planning commitee where this scheme was originally proposed, having been originally rejected as looking like a collection of 'pastel shoe box's'.
    This looks like a poor man's desperate attempt to be influenced by Frank Gehry's Guggenheim museum in Bilbao, the difference being that building reflects the surroundings of water, like a sculptured boat, to display art . This is to house people. Mind you the development in Bexley village where I live is not without design issues...... But what do you expect with a council leader who a few years ago though the best thing that Danson House could do was 'fall down'.
  • Options
    How did the cladding get planning consent in the first place!? Saw it in the paper, looks awful, mate lives nearby, said it looks crap.
  • Options
    I heard that the gold colour would eventually turn green.
  • Options
    although agree it is better to have affordable housing than the red brick office block that was there beforehand, we went past it at the weekend and the gold looks awful. Apart from those key workers etc who will benefit from the scheme, I dont know who would pay too much to live more or less on the train tracks, opposite the tower block (marlowe house) where everyone sits their driving theory test.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perhaps the planning meeting consideration was what can we do to make Marlow House less of an eyesore.

It's an ugly joke. Wouldn't be so bad as a standalone building, but the fact it is attached to a traditional brick one makes it even more laughable.

Heard of the big red building on Folders Green Road ?

Welcome to the shit gold building on Sidcup's main road.....
  • Options
    folders green road?

thought it was Petticoat Lane.
  • Options
    I heard that the gold colour would eventually turn green.
    I suppose that is what passes for being sustainable architecture, or 'green building' in these parts.........

• Options
    Stoopid touchscreen. Golders Green Road
  • Options
    although agree it is better to have affordable housing than the red brick office block that was there beforehand, we went past it at the weekend and the gold looks awful. Apart from those key workers etc who will benefit from the scheme, I dont know who would pay too much to live more or less on the train tracks, opposite the tower block (marlowe house) where everyone sits their driving theory test.
    Theory test is on Sidcup Hill ain't it? Marlowe House has floors for the police who process all speed camera fines etc.
  • Options
    Well I did mine there, but that was in 1997 so it might have changed. Either way, it's still a grim building.
  • Options
    How can they get away with that! Awful!

• Options
    Perhaps the planning meeting consideration was what can we do to make Marlow House less of an eyesore.
    I think the only consideration at the planning meeting was the contents of brown envelopes. I used to live next door to that site and the planning application was rejected on many occasions. It went to appeal and was granted, in spite of the continued objections of the councillors, local residents, local businesses etc. Thank fcuk I managed to move away from there the week they began pulling down the old office block to put that monstrosity up.

• Options
    Is it this building?

Horrible!
  • Options
    That picture doesn't show how tacky the gold colour is in real life.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's 10x worse than that picture.
  • Options
    If it's brass alloy, will it weather to a softer green/brown sort or colour? May not look so bad after a little while.
  • Options
    I think the pic looks quite good above. in real life, it looks awful.
  • Options
    looks as if its the entrance to a very gauche 70s nightclub but it just may become some kind of herald of a new urban architectural dawn ...if it is i think its unfair to test it out in Sidcup ...lets see what it looks like in 5 years ...it certainly going to be a landmark !
  • Options
    Was at Sidcup station last week, first time in donkeys. WTF !!! The only consolation I suppose is that the "gold" effect will not last long in our climate. It already looks dirty from all the construction grime and will soon blend in with the rest of toilet Sidcup.
  • Options
    I think the pic looks quite good above. in real life, it looks awful.
    Crikey!