Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans banned Gillingham v Swindon....

2»

Comments

• Options
    This won't happen. The key is that it's a council decision, not a police one, albeit the council officers will never go against police advice. But the officers are answerable to politicians, who are answerable to Gillingham supporters.

Without knowing what the police are asking, it's hard to know who is being unreasonable, but I would have my doubts about Kent police as well as Scally.
  • Options
    I have a 'Book of Knowledge' dating from the late 1930s, it's basically a poor man's Encyclopaedia Britainica (spelling, I need a Dictionary !!). The entry for 'Gypsy' begins .. A member of an untrustworthy group of people who live a hand to mouth existence across much of Europe and Asia Minor.... I'd better burn the book before the thought police find out that I have it propping up a bedside lamp and come to take me away ... haha
    buy a table you pikey!

• Options
    I have a 'Book of Knowledge' dating from the late 1930s, it's basically a poor man's Encyclopaedia Britainica (spelling, I need a Dictionary !!). The entry for 'Gypsy' begins .. A member of an untrustworthy group of people who live a hand to mouth existence across much of Europe and Asia Minor.... I'd better burn the book before the thought police find out that I have it propping up a bedside lamp and come to take me away ... haha
    buy a table you pikey!

I did .. but the gypos nicked it !!
  • Options
    Please can I refer people to the recent Charlton Life survey which stated that a large number of posters do not want to have to trawl through stupid, pointless and generally factless, racism on this board.
  • Options
    I have always understood the term Gypsy comes from the belief (from Medieval times?) that the groups of travelling people....perhaps a bit darker skinned than most (outdoor lifestyle?) came originally from Egypt....an exotic country that most people in those days had heard of due to stories/history/folklore.
  • Options
    I have always understood the term Gypsy comes from the belief (from Medieval times?) that the groups of travelling people....perhaps a bit darker skinned than most (outdoor lifestyle?) came originally from Egypt....an exotic country that most people in those days had heard of due to stories/history/folklore.
    Yes .. and the 'dark skinned' bit comes from the 'fact' that the Romany's origins are almost certainly to be found in Southern India .. 'Romany' of course comes from the 'fact' that the Gypsies had long settled in what is modern day Romania until they were ousted by Roman Legionaries fleeing from the barbarians, thus condemning the Gypsies, like the Jews to wander seemingly forever.
  • Options
    Or......
    1. A member of a people that arrived in Europe in migrations from northern India around the 14th century, now also living in North America and Australia. Many Gypsy groups have preserved elements of their traditional culture, including an itinerant existence and the Romany language.
    2. See Romany.
    3. gypsy One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life.
    4. A person who moves from place to place as required for employment, especially:
    a. A part-time or temporary member of a college faculty.
    b. A member of the chorus line in a theater production.

Rom·a·ny or Rom·a·ni Pronunciation (rm-n, rm-, räm-)
    n. pl. Romany or Rom·a·nies also Romani or Rom·a·nis
    1. A Gypsy.
    2. The Indic language of the Gypsies. Also called Gypsy.
    adj.
    Of or relating to the Gypsies or their language or culture.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    or.....

Gillingham supporters.
  • Options
    Well recent research shows that Irish Travellers are a discrete genetically identifiable group, a group with their own distinct ethnicity.

So in my world that means the comments I referred to are racist. And even though some/many Irish people might be prejudiced against Travellers I can't see how that justifies anyone else being like that.

The level of hate expressed against them is odious and demeans those who express it.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dna-study-travellers-a-distinct-ethnicity-156324.html
  • Options
    nothing but dirty gypos , pykies , knackers....
    Nice display of racism there Mr Beard.
    Love it. Since when did stereotyping people who have no legitimate way of earning a living become 'racism'? I've never understood this accusation levelled at people who have no love for the 'travellers' way of life. Last I looked, a race wasn't defined by whether or not people paid income tax. And before anyone starts giving it about it being a thinly veiled attack on the irish, I'd remind you that the vast majority of the Irish hate tinkers as much as anyone else who has anything to do with them. You might as well label anyone who refers to lower-class unemployed Englishmen as 'chavs' as a racist.

There should be a concerted effort to reclaim the word 'pikey' from racists and bigots. It's origins go way back to well before the 'Irish traveller' became a staple of outrage of the Daily Mail brigade. Even the term 'Gippo' is a bastardisation of 'Gypsy' - which now means something completely different from it's origins as a reference to those of Romany extraction.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Romanys and Gypsys were 2 different things and that Gypsys were in fact Egyptian Nomads.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Them there Swindy Yokels had better beware .. the Gilly Gypsies will cast black magic (can one still type 'black magic' ?) spells and turn Paul Benson into a splay footed carthorse and Paulo di canio into a foul mouthed Eyetalian .. oh, someone got to the second one before the Gilly boys
  • Options
    Sat in the home end at Fulham, one of them was regularly throwing the 'pikey' epithet towards our fans. Personally I don't like the term, whether it is racist or not. I'd suggest that the only people who should be allowed to use it should be those brave enough to stand in front of the boys below and discuss it with them first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7x2HJ4tzr0

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!