Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: How much promotion means to me....

2»

Comments

• When times are tough - and they are difficult for many at the moment - stories like Tom's are the perfect tonic. It is the hard times that make the good times even sweeter.

It is great to hear you are going in the same direction as Charlton. Continue onwards and upwards mate. Good luck.
  • i have been a fan since i was 5 and whats great about "your team " is that they never leave you or you them it is an enduring love ,your parents die,your kids leave home ,your wife/partner might run off with the tennis coach but cafc remain faithful and you to them ,keep the cafc faith tom enjoyed the post and the comments
    Spot on Lolwray. Charlton have always been my constant and always will be, while all around me changes. When people spoke about our possible serious money troubles last year I was genuinely distraught at the thought of being without them!

Moving post Tom, glad all is looking good. I too will be sitting there this Saturday with an inane grin on my face.

• All the best Tom. Like Charlton, your resilience is endearing and hopefully much better days are ahead!
  • Tom. So pleased for you. When things get bad it is often football that can help take your mind off things.
  • Great story Tom all the best.
  • Thanks to everyone for the kind words, it is really appreciated.

One story I have shared with some people sums up what Charlton is all about was when out of the blue I received a phone call from Bob Bolder when I was going through my chemo treatment. Bob was my boyhood hero and a mate of mine had emailed the club telling them about my situation and whether there was any chance of something to cheer me up. Not only did Bob ring me but he took the time to spend about 30 minutes talking all things Charlton and wishing me well. They say you should never speak to your heroes for fear of it being a let down but what a top bloke Bob is and I will forever be grateful for that lift that telephone call gave me. Despite the ups and downs that we have all experinced in last few years on the pitch it is things like this that emphasisw what a special club we all support.

One story I have shared with some people sums up what Charlton is all about was when out of the blue I received a phone call from Bob Bolder when I was going through my chemo treatment. Bob was my boyhood hero and a mate of mine had emailed the club telling them about my situation and whether there was any chance of something to cheer me up. Not only did Bob ring me but he took the time to spend about 30 minutes talking all things Charlton and wishing me well. They say you should never speak to your heroes for fear of it being a let down but what a top bloke Bob is and I will forever be grateful for that lift that telephone call gave me. Despite the ups and downs that we have all experinced in last few years on the pitch it is things like this that emphasisw what a special club we all support.
    Wow.

I'm crying now.

• A really well written and emotional piece, Tom.
    Glad to hear of your recovery.
  • Top stuff, well done on winning your battle Tom. Really is a great club to support, one with a history and togetherness that to me, beats all other clubs.. Onwards and upwards :-)
  • Sponsored links:

Top man Tom, well played for posting this. And well played Bolder who genuinely is a fantastic bloke.
  • It's been a very emotional week ...
  • Great story Tom with a fantastic outcome and a wonderful uplifting post. I have been an addick for 50 years now and that feeling you get never goes away. I have been to the Emirates to watch Arsenal and Old Trafford on a European night but nothing gets my football juices flowing like CAFC and the Valley. We all get it don't we and that's all that counts. I wish you many more years of watching our team.
  • Mmmmmmm......some very moving posts on here......emotional but in a funny way enjoyable reading at the same time.
  • Great piece Tom.

I wish you well.
  • Fantastic post ... Keep well mate
  • Hi Tom you are an inspiration, to me at the moment, I got in saturday/sunday morning after such a cracking day, my mother in law Marg (whom I have known and loved since I was 14 so is anything but a stereotypical MIL), collapsed and is currently on a ventilator in our local intensive care unit, she suffers from non hodgkins lymphona and the chemo was going well but now a blood infection has really complicated. Because of my job I had to drive to Holland today for a meeting, come back tomorrow to be where I should be with my family, stories like yours give me hope and inspiration, thanks mate
  • good on ya tom, all the best for the future! (and thats not just cos when your good charlton are, honest it aint) ;~)
  • What a great post - very humbling.

All the best.

Thanks everyone for the other stories as well btw - fantastic and uplifting reading.
  • Great story Tom.

Similar to your Bob Bolder story, when i was in having chemo as a youngster i was sent a home shirt signed by all the players after my mate informed the club about it. Was top notch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Everyone else has said it all. Glad life has taken a turn for the better. Thanks for sharing.
  • Got a lil lump in my throat from this thread. All the best Tom.
  • All my best wishes to you Tom.
  • Great post Tom, keep well and enjoy tomorrow.