Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Koi carp

edited April 2012 in Not Sports Related
Morning all, a bit of a shot in the dark request here, my brother in law passes away a few weeks back leaving my sister with a pond full of large specimens, some large japenese Koi and lots of assorted british fresh water fish , mirror carp/ghost carp and so on , my sister is now at a age where she is unable to cope with them , does anyone have any idea where she could sell them ?

Comments

• Ebay will be your best bet, I used to breed Koi carp but you will find very few shops are prepared to take them at the risk of desease spreading from a private pond to a shop.

There are some cracking Koi on Ebay and I have bought and sold some stunning fish.
  • Thing is does your sister (or anyone else in the family), know anything about their individual value?
    They can be worth a considerable amount of course.
    If she doesn't, then (IMHO) she'd need an expert to value them before she thinks about selling them.
  • Batter them and serve with chips.......................
  • Thing is does your sister (or anyone else in the family), know anything about their individual value?
    They can be worth a considerable amount of course.
    If she doesn't, then (IMHO) she'd need an expert to value them before she thinks about selling them.
    Not really , all i know is some of them are 20 + years old . Some of them big mirror carp have got to be 20lb in weight .

• There 'must' be some way you can get them valued....best place to start I suppose is with your local Koi Carp Club.....I expect there is one and maybe your brother-in-law was a member or knows other local collectors/members, I'm sure they'd be happy to help out in this kind of situation.
    Often thought about this hobby myself....they sound spectacular.
  • edited April 2012
    I doubt that there are any "show" winners in the pond, I am sure your sister would be aware if your BIL paid thousands for any of the fish, the most I have seen paid for a Koi is 10k and you don't forget things like that.

Unlike Carp fishing weight is not an issue with Koi, it is length, girth and pattern that counts. If you look on Ebay you will get an idea of what sort of prices relate to the length and condition of the fish.

Dont get me wrong it will be time consuming as selling a pond full of fish will take time. Where does your sister live???
  • id go for ebay or gumtree
  • No he wasnt a member of any clubs , ive had a look on the web but cant find any that seem to buy , my sister lives in Charlton ..... where else .

• Well they may not buy but they could possibly value them for you.
  • No he wasnt a member of any clubs , ive had a look on the web but cant find any that seem to buy , my sister lives in Charlton ..... where else .

Not sure if this is any help, but maybe have a look on here http://www.seriouslyfish.com/community.php?act=viewclubs&type=1&page=45&limit=60

• Sponsored links:

• By the way...any Haddock available....I might be interested?
  • My Dad had to get rid of his pond of koi recently due to it springing a leak. He gave them away as he was more worried about them getting a good home before all the water drained out of the pond. I think he took them to a garden centre for their pond (not for sale though, used as a picnic/play area). I think he just asked around in places where they sell them. He's on the Isle of Wight so probably no point in finding out where exactly!
  • My neighbour keeps them and he occasionally sells them - if I see him I will ask him how he goes about finding a buyer.
  • Thanks everyone , a few links there to checkout .
  • Wow - there's a new one for me. I didn't know you were allowed to sell animals on eBay? I thought they were forbidden, like firearms, tobacco, explosives etc.

Some of those koi look pretty good. Always wanted to get into this, but it seems like a bloody expensive hobby!
  • You are telling me Leroy, I love a hobby but keeping Koi was by far the most expensive.

You have to look at it that you are keeping "water" not the fish, Koi and many other fish will live in any old crappy water but if you want to enjoy them and see the colours you need to keep the pond water gin clear.

My last pond was 6 feet deep and I am proud to say you could see right down to the bottom in both summer and winter.
  • I was in a similar position moved into a new house with a pond full of huge Koi. Had to go when our dog fell in and nearly drowned. Advertised and sold the fish on ebay. Our buyer drove down from Liverpool with a lorry and a big tank with an areator, bit difficult to post otherwise Make sure the buyer agrees to fish them out for himself.
  • If you struggle to sell inbox me as I would not mind looking at them. Have a substantial koi pond myself. I guess she is reasonably local?
  • Sponsored links:

• Pm sent
  • I have done reply I think, let me know if you get.
  • I have done reply I think, let me know if you get.
    No nothing here pete

• edited April 2012
    :-)
    I have done reply I think, let me know if you get.

Just as I suspected.. straight to the Activity thread and Bob's yer Mums brother....
  • :-)
    I have done reply I think, let me know if you get.

Just as I suspected.. straight to the Activity thread and Bob's yer Mums brother....
    Wouldn't mind betting you've got it set as your favourites page.

• edited April 2012
    Try now
  • My next door neighbour may be interested in buying your fish - spoke to his wife today. PM me your phone number and I will pass it on to him. His name is Tony by the way.

When I asked how he goes about selling his wife said "ebay".