Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup semi final

I watched with interest the FA Cup semi final between Spurs and Chelsea on Sunday and the abandonment of the minutes silence for the victims of the Hillsborough disaster. Firstly I want to say I have no time for the morons who chanted "muderers" but does anyone else wonder why this minutes silence was being held in the first place? After all this was a game between two clubs completely unassociated with the events involved. There isn't a general minutes silence in rememberence of the Ibrox or Bradford disasters so why this one? And please forgive me but isn't there a bit of sanctimony goin on here afterall I cannot recall Liverpool Football club ever having a minutes silence to remember the people from Juventis who died at Heysel.

Many of us know what it is like to lose a loved one or close friend in a tragic accident but we get on with life time for people to move on I think.

Comments

• Options
    You've opened a can of worms here!

I agree that there is no need for the silence in games not involving Liverpool.
  • Options
    Agree with every word of the above.
  • Options
    dont get me started on liverpool and their minutes silences
  • Options
    A very tricky issue indeed and the behaviour of some 'fans' was appalling.

However, it has been my view for some time now that organisers of big sporting events (of all different types) now see a minute's silences as an expected part of such events, something there to make the day seem that bit 'more important' and build atmosphere.

So it does tend to lead to some rather spurious links.

I am certainly not opposed to showing proper respect where due (and sometimes they are absolutely appropriate), but I don't like the cynical way that this has gone - ask yourself when was the last time that you saw a final or semi-final that did not begin with a minutes silence?
  • Options
    I'm guessing it was held as it was the day after the anniversary and it was the same competition. Seemed to be asking for trouble though, so would have been best either skipped completely, or minutes applause instead where disruptions are less obvious. All the near silence achieved was broadcast around the world the idiocy of some English people.
  • Options
    I'm guessing it was held as it was the day after the anniversary
    it was the day of the anniversary not the day after
  • Options
    At the risk of opening another can of worms I never understood why the whole Premier League held a minutes silence when the former Chelsea Director Matthew Harding was tragically killed in a helicopter accident.

I, personally, think these things should be club specific, and I also question the 'anniversary' issue. If we observe every anniversary in the end we'd be having a minutes silence at every game, after all there are only 52 weeks of the year and sooner or later every week would have an anniversary attached to it.

I also think that as the minutes silence becomes more and more common it reduces the effect of it.
  • Options
    Whatever the merits or otherwise of holding a silence the fact is one was held and fans were informed of this before the event.

What a crushing indictment of modern society that people do not have either the good manners or self discipline to comply.
  • Options
    dont get me started on liverpool and their minutes silences
    no other club but liverpool

• Options
    Funnily enough Len I agree with you as well just wondered really what people thought about the whole issue. Maybe the penny has dropped a bit as Kings Hill said you can't have a minutes silence for everyone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whatever the merits or otherwise of holding a silence the fact is one was held and fans were informed of this before the event.

But Len, that is not the OP's point is it? You're very good at going off topic when it suits you.
  • Options

What a crushing indictment of modern society that people do not have either the good manners or self discipline to comply.

what Len said 100%

• Options
    Anyway plenty of discussion about it on here including Alandaviesgate......

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/47390/liverpool-team-v-blackburn#Item_62
  • Options
    Alan Davies has gotten himself into hot water over this. He said effectively the same thing as the OP on his podcast, and now has to deal with the wrath of the Scousers. Good on him, I say. Liverpool fans are little more than would-be bullies at times. To a man I bet we could all come up with a specific date that haunts us to some extent, but I doubt many of us spend that day, year after year, expecting the rest of the world to pay us respect.

Sooner or later you have to let go. I don't believe in a heaven, but if there is one, and there are 96 'Pool fans up there, I doubt very much they'd be shaking their fists in anger at anyone who doesn't intend to hold a minute's silence.
  • Options
    ken bigley why the minutes silence for him
  • Options
    Agree totally

Littlejohn had it bang on in the Mail on Tuesday with all this vicarious grief.
  • Options
    Agree with Len. Wether you agree with the silence or not it's incredibly disrepecrful to ignore it.
    I also agree with silences being club specific, unless of course the tragedy in question is a national/international one.
    I don't agree with having a pop at Liverpool over how they choose to honour their tragedy, if someone said similar things about our club I'd be livid.
  • Options
    Agree with Len. Wether you agree with the silence or not it's incredibly disrepecrful to ignore it.
    I also agree with silences being club specific, unless of course the tragedy in question is a national/international one.
    I don't agree with having a pop at Liverpool over how they choose to honour their tragedy, if someone said similar things about our club I'd be livid.
    Agreed.

• Options
    Great comment, totally agree with this
  • Options
    Soundas you are 100% correct and I never intended this post to be a pop at Liverpool Football club or it's supporters as such. They are perfectly entitled to remember their lost as they so wish and I support that sentiment all the way but as said there is no minutes silence for other tragedies and I again ask why is it that Heysel seems to be airbrushed out of history?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just cant stand the way liverpool fans think they are ambassadors for all fans in this country and that they are the 'Don' of the football family.

really gets my back up.

100% agree that the minutes silence should have been honoured but i dont think it should have been involved in a game not concerning liverpool in the first place.
  • Options
    there is no minutes silence for other tragedies and I again ask why is it that Heysel seems to be airbrushed out of history?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282111/Liverpool-remember-Heysel-Disaster-minute-silence.htm

• Options
    2005created a mosaic "friendship" lot of juventus turned there back
  • Options
    backs
  • Options
    Why do people have to bring their own agenda to discussions started on here?
  • Options
    I questioned why we had a minutes silence / applause for Gary Speed and most on here thought I was wrong to question it.

Not an England international and didn't play for either Charlton or the opposing team so not a lot to do with us - a tragedy for sure but they happen most days in one way or another.

• Options
    I'd question it if we were doing it every year for Gary Speed.
  • Options
    Why did we have one for Muamba? It was confirmed that he would live before our applause. Too many of these things and they lose their meaning.
  • Options
    I really don't think anyone's having a 'pop' at Liverpool for how they wish to do things at their own games. I would question the pressure put on other clubs/ fans to do what they deem to be the right thing though.
  • Options
    As a football fan I had no problem with the Gary Speed one but I was very disappointed in the lack of one for Ron Greenwood.
    I think it is right to pay respect to football people who really have made a contribution to the game. The club do their own annual one for people connected to CAFC which is fair enough but I don't think it needs to be at the expense of major football figures just because they didn't play for Charlton.
    It should be a club decision though and not an edict layed down by FA/UEFA/FIFA etc.