Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marketing contacts

Hi all, this is maybe a bit of a long shot but thought I'd give it a go!

I'm just coming to end of my time at Uni, doing Business Studies with Marketing, and its time I started looking for a job/work experience for when I leave.
Ideally I'm looking to get into sports marketing as a career, but with the current job market it's quite hard to be picky so am just looking for anything within the marketing world really to start with.

So was just wondering if anyone has any contacts or knows of anyone that may be looking to hire permanently or for an intern or anything.

An even longer shot, but does anyone know if the club offer work experience in marketing roles? I'm guessing they have loads of people applying for this kind of thing, but worth asking I guess!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Give me the weekend and I'll put some bits and pieces together for you.

In the meantime, get blogging, showcase your abilities and passions, stuff you done at uni etc.
  • Options
    This bloke does a lot of the Charlton stuff I believe and is a longstanding supporter too.

http://www.steve-sutherland.co.uk/
  • Options
    WIWLB aint that what you do mate
  • Options
    Get on linkedin, build up contacts, contribute to discussions, build a reputation.

Its a tough world for marketers but there are roles if you search hard
  • Options
    @Addickforlife I was going to give you a job with my global sports marketing firm, but you failed the test by selecting the "General Charlton" category for your post, when it's supposed to be "Not Sports Related"[Edited]! ;-)
  • Options
    Advice to a marketing graduate on how to market himself. LOL!!!
  • Options
    WIWLB aint that what you do mate
    Jack of all trades me mate, will ask the marketing department if they need any bodies, we are not sports related though. We are in the publishing industry, however i will ask the question and see what we can do if you are interested.

• Options
    look at WPP group for their grad scheme, TOUGH to get on but will sort you for life - i've heard.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice/help everyone, much appreciated, and most useful!
  • Options
    This bloke does a lot of the Charlton stuff I believe and is a longstanding supporter too.

Suthers isn't involved in marketing CAFC, if that's what you mean.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought he'd negotiated a lot of the sponsorship deals but wasn't 100% sure of his role, although Charlton in various guises appears all over his website, hence my phrase "I believe."
  • Options
    edited April 2012

I thought he'd negotiated a lot of the sponsorship deals but wasn't 100% sure of his role, although Charlton in various guises appears all over his website, hence my phrase "I believe."
    It's true he was involved in deals in the past, unsurprisingly given that he was employed by the club until 2009, although "negotiated" would be a bit strong. He doesn't now represent or work for the club, to my knowledge.
  • Options
    Suthers is currently starring in panto at the Carlisle Theatre with Karl Howman and Jim Davidson
  • Options
    Suthers is currently starring in panto at the Carlisle Theatre with Karl Howman and Jim Davidson
    Oh No He isn't !

(coat.....exits stage Left).

• Options
    I work for mediacom, part of wpp. Send me an email Carl.bratton@mediacom.com with the kind of stuff your interested in and see what I can do in terms of interview.
  • Options
    You need to think outside the box a little. 'Marketing' these days doesn't just mean a marketing company. It means advertising, PR, campaining, copy writing. So look as widely as you can.
    Just don't be fooled into going for an advertising sales job, its a dead end (and soul destroying!)
    There is a recrutment agency which deals specifically with sports marketing and if you PM me I can give you there contact detials. But be warned (and don't take offence at this) they are a serious sports marketing agency so you will need to be able to prove yourself with sports marketing not just 'want to get ito it' so make sure you have some examples of stuff you have done at uni in that area.