Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

goodbye ceefax

edited April 2012 in Not Sports Related
With the switchover from analogue to digital tv ceefax is going through a phased closure. Made me think of memories from my youth.

My dad was a charlton supporter all his life and attended games in the sixties and seventies. By the time I was around and growing up he was firmly an armchair fan but what an armchair fan. My abiding memory of him was anxiously waiting for the ceefax pages to update the scores of charlton and kent ccc. Clenched fists punch tightly in the air when goals went in and despondency when goals were conceded.

Great memories even if they feel antiquated in the modern age. But also the lost generation of cafc fans thanks to glikstein running us to the verge of obscurity.

Your thoughts on ceefax or teletext?

Comments

• Dammit Johnny you beat me to it! Remember watching the scores on CEEFAX when we had that memorable play off game against Leeds at St.Andrews and also following the games that got us to a Milk Cup final against Blackburn.
  • Dammit Johnny you beat me to it! Remember watching the scores on CEEFAX when we had that memorable play off game against Leeds at St.Andrews and also following the games that got us to a Milk Cup final against Blackburn.
    Yep - I vividly remember watching Ceefax for that game! I remember thinking how the hell has Shirtliff scored 2 goals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Remember many a Saturday afternoon following matches on Ceefax, can't remember the last time I was on Ceefax though
  • I remember Ceefax ( and Oracle ) being launched, and how exciting it was when my mate Steff's family got a new telly with teletext. Wow! It was fantastic, all that information at your fingertips. What a shame they have never found anything to replace it... ;-)
  • three pages of latest scores , waiting for it to go back to page 1 to see if our one had changed
  • The full member
    Dammit Johnny you beat me to it! Remember watching the scores on CEEFAX when we had that memorable play off game against Leeds at St.Andrews and also following the games that got us to a Milk Cup final against Blackburn.
    Yep - I vividly remember watching Ceefax for that game! I remember thinking how the hell has Shirtliff scored 2 goals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At least they had the highlights on tv soon after for the Leeds game. No one other than Charlton or Blackburn fans cared about the full members cup and even ceefax provided minimal and slow updates on that day (had to wait til the following morning and 'the sun' write up - 'worst wembley game ever'.
  • three pages of latest scores , waiting for it to go back to page 1 to see if our one had changed
    True. Made me laugh and the memory.
  • The full member
    Dammit Johnny you beat me to it! Remember watching the scores on CEEFAX when we had that memorable play off game against Leeds at St.Andrews and also following the games that got us to a Milk Cup final against Blackburn.
    At least they had the highlights on tv soon after for the Leeds game. No one other than Charlton or Blackburn fans cared about the full members cup and even ceefax provided minimal and slow updates on that day (had to wait til the following morning and 'the sun' write up - 'worst wembley game ever'.
    I stand corrected. should have known that too. I was there! Still remember the trip home after the game thinking we will never win anything!

• The full member
    I stand corrected. should have known that too. I was there! Still remember the trip home after the game thinking we will never win anything!

I didn't mean to correct you. I started writing the response on my blackberry then decided i wanted to use the quote option and came onto my computer (that doesn't sound right!). I forgot the start of the original sentence was on the first line.

• Think page 302 was football, and page 324 was our league table. Page 312 was gossip.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gonna miss it big time...........I've used it constantly over many years.
  • Why do the powers that be relish removing things people use and enjoy?
  • Was an avid ceefax user. Seemed fantastic to be able to check on little old Charltons score at will. How on earth did we manage before that. How did we manage before Redmidland and Charlton Life ?
  • It used to be frustrating sometimes waiting for it to scroll through about 14 pages just to get to the Charlton score, only to be distracted at the wrong moment and have to go through it all again.

Anyone remember Bamberboozler? Used to love that.
  • I vividly remember following our relegation from the old division one losing 4-1 to Wimbledon on ceefax, four results to each page and having to wait for the pages to scroll through to update....also a fans/rumours page somewhere on there along with Club call thats all we had!
  • Gossip pages were essential. Hours a day on that thing.
  • Page 312 was "news in brief".

My Mum never used teletext, but while me, my dad and two brothers were at Wembley for the play-off final, she worked it out and watched the penalty outcomes coming through on it!
  • I just remembered, when I was co-editing Goodbye Horse, I used to do a weekly column for Ceefax's fan page.
  • won the championship by ceefax lol
  • I was always more of a teletext man, and when was in the Prem we had our own page number 429 I beleive if my memory serves me correctly. My how times change,
  • Sponsored links:

When was the last time you used or enjoyed Ceefax Len?

In fact, when was the last time anyone on here used (analogue) Ceefax? There's just no need for it now, so why should we all pay to keep it going.

Plus, of course, there was the EU Directive banning it, so we just had to comply.
    ;o)
    When was the last time you used or enjoyed Ceefax Len?

In fact, when was the last time anyone on here used (analogue) Ceefax? There's just no need for it now, so why should we all pay to keep it going.

Plus, of course, there was the EU Directive banning it, so we just had to comply.
    ;o)
    Haven't used it in years. It is redundant and this thread is to honour the memories.

• Loved Ceefax as a teenager. I was looking at the screen as the '1' pinged up for the Shirtliff equaliser against Leeds. It's the most emotional I've ever seen my dad.
  • Good bye ceefax........Hello Championship.
  • I just remembered, when I was co-editing Goodbye Horse, I used to do a weekly column for Ceefax's fan page.
    Hah, that was you was it ... never realised
  • The worst thing was when the pages would update and have some rogue characters appearing where they shouldn't - so instead of seeing the score you'd see a # or a random letter... and then it would have to go through all the pages again before updating! Aargh!
  • loved bamboozle.till you got one wrong and went back to the start.too much time on my hands in them days.